back to article HBO Game Of Thrones leak: Four 'techies' arrested in India

Four arrests connected with the leak of an unaired Game of Thrones episode have been made in India. Star India Private Limited, a HBO distribution partner owned by 21st Century Fox, said on Tuesday that local police had arrested four workers associated with its technology vendor, Prime Focus Technologies, apparently in …

1. MJI Silver badge

I might watch it sometime

I have a huge back log of legal stuff.

But how much do they expect me to pay per episode!

Is it really worth £100 to watch legally?

Not even watched the first one yet, do I torrent or pay Amazon?

Bit of advice, make first few free and drop the price.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I might watch it sometime

You're not missing anything.

Each episode expect to watch non-stop talking. While they stand around and talk only the back drop changes, exactly like a soap opera. Just replace patios with fields and hospitals with castles. I would say there is murder, but daytime soaps also have that.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

The only thing that I ever heard about Game of Thrones is that it's got tits in it and everyone dies. If that's the best bit about it then I'm better off watching Lesbian Vampire Killers.

1. Aladdin Sane

As is generally the case, the books are better.

1. Not also known as SC

Although at the current rate the books are being released there seems a good chance the series will never be finished.

2. JLV

>the books are better

Sorry, that old cliche usually works but doesn't fly here: a) the books are horrendously slow in coming out, b) are apparently fleshing out more and more, but not in a good way* as they go and c) any notion of surprise twists is going out the window as this will be the first time a real (not novelization) set of books comes out after a movie.

* https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/RQMHSVDEC80QE?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

I could already see the loss in plot tempo in book 4 so didn't bother with 5. And 6 was due in 2016, then 2017, then... I like GRRMs other work so I actually wouldn't mind if he gave up and let HBO drive and went back to writing SF, less self-consciously.

1. Michael Nidd

"first time a real (not novelization) set of books comes out after a movie"

That wouldn't be the case for the earlier books in the series. I read the first one twenty years ago, and liked it, but I agree that they are slow to come out. By the time the fourth was published, I had lost interest. According to the internet, Bantam released the third in 2000 and the fourth in 2005, which sounds about right, but it also looks like the HBO series was first broadcast in 2011.

3. Steve Hersey

The books are usually better.

I do enjoy a good SF movie now and then, but I generally find that the plot depth and special effects are much better in the books.

With the notable exception of Battlefield Earth, which I watched in bored horror one afternoon when marooned in San Jose on a business trip. I kept saying to myself, "That's ridiculous! The book this is based on couldn't possibly be THAT bad!" So I borrowed a copy from the library, skimmed it, and discovered that, yes, it was EXACTLY that bad, if not worse. Fully-functional 1000-year-old F14's and all.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: The books are usually better.

I remember they used Harriers.

And it was a really bad film.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: The books are usually better.

I thought that in the book they used the original invasion planes from the aliens themselves - since their empire was so widespread things were built to *last*.

I'm pretty certain I'm the only person on the planet who has read it twice :)

Tempted to go anon, but shame is good for the circulation.

2. Little Mouse

"then I'm better off watching Lesbian Vampire Killers"

Think carefully before going down that road. There's no turning back once you do.

1. Geoffrey W

A man knows nothing. A man drinks and knows things. Hodor! is coming. Burn them all!

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

"then I'm better off watching Lesbian Vampire Killers"

Some ambiguity in the title

Is it the vampires themselves that are lesbians or is it the vampire killers in comfortable shoes?

Asking purely in a spirit of academic interest you understand

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If I remember ( I've seen the film ), the non-lesbian non-vampire strippers get turned into lesbian vampires, and another stripper has to kill them.

Or something like that.

1. Anonymous Custard
              Trollface

And it stars James Corden, so there's at least one tit in it...

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

If I remember ( I've seen the film ), the non-lesbian non-vampire strippers get turned into lesbian vampires, and another stripper has to kill them.

But it's all done in the best posssssible taste

3. This post has been deleted by its author

3. GrumpenKraut
        Thumb Up

> Lesbian Vampire Killers

Only after watching that fine movie I read the critics. What a learned is that some people are seriously humor impaired.

1. frank ly

Watch South Park Season 17 episodes 7, 8 and 9. (Black Friday, A Song Of Ass And Fire, and Titties And Dragons.) That will give you an idea about it.

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

There are tits, blood and lots of death but there is a plot. There will be 8 seasons. 1-6 currently costs ~£60. There is an unlimited supply of free tits on the internet so they do not add any value, but I think the plot is easily worth the money.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

TBH I think the pricing on Google / Amazon at around € 20 for a series is reasonable, presumably less if you have some kind of streaming deal. But you should definitely try before you buy to see whether you like it.

2. Tezfair

I enjoy it

I have watched it from the start, but apart from the nudity and killing the dialogue tends to be stretched out and there's so many twists that you would have to watch the entire box set from start to end at least once to follow what's going on.

Reducing the season episodes is helping the chatter keep to a minimum but I still look forward to watching each episode.

It's a bit the 'The 100', each episode is tiresome but having watched it from the start I feel compelled to know how it ends (if it ever does)

3. arctic_haze

That was a big leak!

Until it happened, one had a clue that IT techs from India awere part of the Game of Thrones storyline.

1. John Riddoch
      Joke

Re: That was a big leak!

They'll probably get killed off in the next episode.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Apparently HBO Spain mistakenly leaked episode 6 of the current season

They goofed up and put it on their on demand website for an hour. Of course by the time the took it down it had been ripped.

Doh!!

5. scooternusa

Why should HBO accommodate thieves? Those spectacular CGI dragons are costly to birth. Surely you would agree the talented artists behind these creations deserve to be compensated for their work?

As for the so-called cyber attack, this latest revelation makes it sound more like an inside heist. I'm sure HBO will soon be carefully scrutinizing the security polices of their overseas distribution partners (if they aren't already).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Those spectacular CGI dragons..."

Meh. Call me when they start using real dragons.

1. Jonathan 27

Are you going to pay the insurance premiums? I think not.

2. maazkalim

Please bother to research

Read my independent-comment for relevant facts!

(Assuming if it ever gets approved in entirety.)

6. Teiwaz

Did I actually hear commenters comlaining of too much dialogue.

Here, on an 'intelligent' news site.

Such people should stick to Punch and Judy....Clearly not at home to complicated storytelling.

7. LeahroyNake

In custody until the 21st August ?

That seems a bit extreme to me !

They are all working or maybe had jobs.

I expect that this is their first offence.

They have not hurt anyone apart from spoilers that may ruin someone's day.

Does anyone else think it is a bit unreasonable to bang them up for 5 days ?

1. LeahroyNake

Re: In custody until the 21st August ?

I meant to add... before a trial.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The main question is when will Trump condemn the white walkers? I think he's secretly in favour of winter.

1. Anonymous Custard

He probably thinks they're Mexican, hence his wall policy...

2. James O'Shea

"The main question is when will Trump condemn the white walkers?"

Never. It's right there in the name. They're _white_. Got blue eyes, blonde hair, they're proper Aryans and so deserving of his support.

"I think he's secretly in favour of winter."

Snow's white, too. And, given his denial of climate change, you betcha that the Orange Maniac just

_loves_ winter.

9. Stevie

Bah!

Send them to the wall.

1. LaeMing
      Go

Re: Bah!

Trial by combat. Against Zombie-Mountain.

Then death by dragon breath.

10. deadlockvictim

Trump & GoT «spoiler alert»

Now that the Wall has fallen, will Jon Snow et al. insist that it built up again, so that The Others on the other side can never get through again.

Of course, all right-thinking people [1] know that it should be rebuild down south and cut Dorne off.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhaunU2AxY

11. maazkalim

What a travesty!

What a tragedy!

The same “technology vendor” also worked for not just HBO® Asia but even HBO® US, so apart from that Murdoch-owned media-empire very rarely serving as a propaganda masterpiece — where the "lapse" here?

And above all, why should those employees suffer for leaking horrendous 240p pre-subbed copy? Because the audiovisual were meant to be uncensored anyways? How does that even make sense?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon