back to article Strip club selfie bloke's accidental discharge gets him 6 years in clink

A Florida man has been sent to prison for six years and five months after he shot up a strip club toilet while taking a selfie. In December, patrons of Club Lust in St Petersburg, in America's Sunshine State, were startled to hear the sound of gunfire in the men's bathroom. A .40 caliber round shattered one of the mirrors in …

1. mics39
    Pint

Florida

Come on Texas, you can do better than this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Florida

it wouldn't make news in Texas, in fact he'd most likely win a prize.

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

Re: Florida

The ultimate "blow job".

2. eldakka

Sorn explained that he didn’t realize the gun was loaded,

You mean he didn't (obviously) check it's status on initially taking possession of it? He just put a firearm, of unknown loaded/unloaded/safe/unsafe/charged/uncharged status, in his pocket? Moron!

1. Ole Juul

This is the kind of goofball that's dangerous to have around. It's better for everybody, including himself, if he's locked up.

1. Richocet

I wouldn't have chosen goofball to describe someone who has committed a first degree murder.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

He's lucky it didn't go off in his pocket then.... then he really would have been pissed off.... Would have taken all the Pride out of Asian Pride...

1. John H Woods Silver badge

"He's lucky it didn't go off in his pocket then..."

IS2R some old British Army joke about a serviceman keeping a souvenir weapon he had acquired on manoeuvres which, due to his lack of familiarity with the model, went off in his pocket neatly severing the top of his manhood.

He was drummed out of the army, of course, not for keeping the weapon or any subsequent negligence but because "everyone knows you have to be a complete knob to be in the British Army"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It gets better when you think about, not only is he challenged about the gun but he then fails to get rid of it when he must of known of his inability to carry one. I mean who honestly believes they can fire a gun in the toilets causing damage and the owners aren't going to call the police?

1. Charles 9

I'm surprised the owner hasn't sued for damages, but then since the man's now a two-time felon, he probably doesn't have much to spare away and the owner will probably stick the bill to his insurance company.

2. Tom 38
        Headmaster

he then fails to get rid of it when he must of known of his inability to carry one

aaaargh, cannot resist :(

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Good God.

Can I ask, do they still teach English in schools?

3. disgruntled yank

On the other hand

On the other hand, the friend he borrowed the firearm from might not have cared to have the gun discarded. Given its illegal source, it probably wasn't cheap. The risk of having the police find him with the gun might have been less than having the friend blame him for getting away without it.

4. Blank Reg

And yet there are idiots like this that are (or in this case was) against safety training

http://americannewsx.com/hot-off-the-press/darwin-award-anti-gun-safety-activist-shot/

1. JLV
        Paris Hilton

are senior moments eligible for Darwins???

"anti-gun-safety-activist" could be read both ways.

I initially thought what is an anti-gun, safety, activist doing with a gun?". That's odd - what is someone who objects to guns doing with a gun?

But not quite as stoopid as an anti "gun-safety" activist. Someone who objects to gun safety, not to guns. Oh well, fully deserving of Darwins, although, at 60, one fears Harmon might have already polluted the gene pool.

5. Mark 85

Most idiots like this haven't a clue. Ever see the way most of the gang bangers treat firearms? Firing the thing (pistols usually) tilted on the side or even upside down? They seem to have seen too many bad movies and also obviously think guns are toys.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually...

"Ever see the way most of the gang bangers treat firearms?"

Nope, I never have. I have seen bad movies where the bad guys do that, but never any real 'gang bangers'.

3. Paul Johnston
    FAIL

"two obvious bulges"

From the Firestar website

"The Firestar series is a group of small, compact pistols designed for concealed carry."

More revealing than concealing it seems!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "two obvious bulges"

Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Someone had to...

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: "two obvious bulges"

I've shot a Star Firestar 9mm,.... don't recall it being particularly compact, it resembles a 1911, just a little shorter, so it's got a hammer, and a back strap, not features I'd look for for CC, I'd opt for something a bit smoother. It was however a pretty good pistol, my colleague and I shamed some Police 'marksmen' with one, they were full of bravado, but using 6" S&W .44 revolvers, way overpowered for taking on two geeky IT bods target shooting.

4. Shadow Systems

He confused a Selfie Stick & a gun?

Last time I checked, & I admit that was back when I could still see so designs could have changed since then, but the two were shaped *NOTHING* alike.

How inebriated, incapacitated, or idiotic (or all three) do you have to be in order to confuse the two?

TFA doesn't mention if the cops found a Selfie Stick among the things in his pockets, so if he didn't have one then this becomes even more mind numbingly moronic.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: He confused a Selfie Stick & a gun?

I didn't read any mention of a selfie-stick - I assume he was taking a photo of himself posing with the gun. Still, the article was so full of references to bulges and discharges that it could cause confusion.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I'm not worried if he had a gun now.

If he was caught in possession of a selfie stick, then the sentence should be life!

1. Brad Ackerman

The crime is life; the sentence is death.

5. David Roberts
    WTF?

Missing information

Was it a "gangsta" selfie complete with gun he was trying to take?

As in here I am in a toilet with a gun.

Does this raise your street (or toilet) cred?

1. Chemical Bob
      Joke

Re: Missing information

Neither. He was obviously toilet training his kid. That's how we do things here in America - we toilet rain our children at gunpoint. Best thing about this method is that it only takes one day whether it works or not.

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Holmes

not enough Xanax?

"I didn’t know it was going to go off."

Please... a loaded guy with a loaded gun. Let your imagination run away with this one.

1. Mark 85

Re: not enough Xanax?

Hoping people like this remove themselves from the gene pool come to mind.

7. prouton

"it's in my pocket man! It's my friend's, he has a license to carry it"

Oh, well, that's all right then. Presuming of course that his friend carries *him*. (Would that make Sorn a "man purse"?)

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Don't mock. I'm planning to start using that excuse. I reckon it'll go down great with the police - and it's much easier than taking my driving test.

Particularly as it would be illegal for me to do so, due to poor eyesight.

8. Timmay

Right to bear arms

Ah ha! So prior burglary and attempted murder charges are what it takes to deny someone the right to bear arms. Looks like we've found the line, surprised this hasn't made bigger news!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Right to bear arms

Don't you remember that documentary in the 80s? It was called The Dukes of Hazzard I think...

They weren't allowed to carry firearms, due to being on probation or something. Though they did have bows and arrows, and dynamite, in the boot of the car.

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

I've never understood why Americans think that owning ursine forelimbs is so important.

1. Little Mouse

@Roj: Nah - you've got all mixed up. It's all about the right to sport a ridiculous hillbiilly suntan, Shirley?

2. Steve Hersey

'Cause it's a misprint.

Beats me why the founding fathers were so keen on arming bears, but there it is...

3. Chemical Bob

Winters are *cold* here...

4. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

If you don't mind holding the soggy end, they can be wielded quite effectively. : -)

3. Jedit Silver badge
      Big Brother

"attempted murder charges are what it takes to deny someone the right to bear arms"

I think you'll find there were more significant factors involved, such as the gentleman in question not being white. Although that's more of an excuse than the actual law [1], to be fair.

[1] For now. Expect the tangerine twat's executive order prohibiting black people from owning Dodge Chargers at any moment.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Right to bear arms

Larry the Cable Guy got it right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Right_to_Bare_Arms

10. Avatar of They
    Coffee/keyboard

I love Florida

See title

11. adam payne

So I guess he was trying to take a selfie of himself while proudly showing off his gun.

He didn't check that it was loaded or that the safety was on, he's lucky he didn't kill someone.

12. Tom 38
    WTF?

Used his phone in a strip club?

And he still has fingers?!

13. JJKing
    Coat

He did what, where?

He shot his load in the toilet; there are better places than that.

Mines the one with the soggy hanky in the pocket

14. Snorlax Silver badge
    Facepalm

Good to know...

"The police were called and found Sorn, a reputed member of the local Asian Pride gang,"

..that asian pride folk are just as retarded as their white pride counterparts.

15. codejunky Silver badge

Dont panic!

"The plod did a background check and found that Sorn had been prior convictions for home burglary and attempted first-degree murder, and as such wasn't allowed to own a firearm."

The good news is there is nothing to worry about. Apparently this guy wasnt allowed to own a firearm by law. And according to the serial number the gun couldnt have been there as it would have to illegally cross state lines. So we can feel good about that at least.

16. Stevie

Bah!

What a depressingly stupid human being.

17. disgruntled yank

Porcelain and pistols

A co-worker said that one of his brothers in law once did in his parents' toilets. The brother in law claimed accidental discharge, the father suspected that the guy thought he was dry snapping and didn't know that there was a round in the chamber. And Auberon Waugh's (speaking of firearm incompetence) autobiography mentions a fellow officer doing in a toilet in Cyprus.

1. Scroticus Canis
      Facepalm

Re: Porcelain and pistols

A late friend of mine had a careless discharge while practicing drawing his new .38 spl snubby. Unlike his Browning Hi Power it was double action (yes he should have unloaded it the twat) and he shot a hole in the mirror he was practicing in front of. Unfortunately for him the mirror was on the end of a long built in wardrobe and he nailed every coat, suit, jacket, trousers and shirt he owned plus half his wife's clothing.

He was normally very careful with guns but ..... Cost him an arm and a leg when wife upgraded her replacement clothes.

18. arctic_haze

The guy should fell lucky he is still alive

This really reads like some Darwin Prize stuff.

19. tekHedd

The best tech news source!

Kudos for reporting make and model of the firearm. If only we knew the model of phone and which social network he was attempting to use, but sadly it's probably not information available to the public.

1. Swarthy

Re: The best tech news source!

TFA said YouTube & Facebook, so we do know the social network(s) he was using. The phone, not so much.

20. Paul Smith

A bit harsh

Florida, six years in jail for being an idiot.

Charlotte, Presidential pardon for being a racist and an idiot.

Remind me again why I don't want to go to the States.

21. Slow Joe Crow
    FAIL

Florida Man strikes again. I suppose it could have been worse and he could have been carrying a Hi-Point, or it could have been better for society and he gave himself a Darwin.

22. John 104

Illegal Transport?

That has to be mis-information. There are no laws against moving a firearm from state to state. There may be restrictions based upon the type and state law such as magazine capacity, or bullet buttons, etc, but that would just about be it. Typically pistols don't fall under this category except large capacity automatics.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Illegal Transport?

I'm guessing they're referring to an interstate sale. Generally you can transport your own gun across state lines. Shipping a handgun to a buyer in another state is another deal altogether. Not sure about driving across state lines to sell to another person directly, but suspect that's no kosher either...

23. Mike 16

I'd have to guess

He was holding it wrong.

1. Michael Thibault

Re: I'd have to guess

Or he can't operate his digits except as pairs. The mirror may have been an aggravating circumstance.

24. Cynic_999

It's not as bad as ...

The gay cowboy who rode into town and shot up the sheriff ...

25. RareToy

"Sorn explained that he didn’t realize the gun was loaded,"

Ahhh. He needs to go back to firearm safety classes.

4 rules of gun safety:

1) The Gun Is Always Loaded

2) Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It

3) Never Point The Gun At Something You Are Not Prepared To Destroy

4) Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until You're Ready to Fire

26. tentimes

You can't even go for a shit these days

But they are looking up your ass. I mean what harm has been done here really? They can put right to the bullet hole and who cares if he has some Xanax and MJ. People should be allowed to take drugs if they want to, and those two drugs rea relatively safe used in moderation.

Worlds policeman gone mad.

27. CustardGannet

"I didn’t know it was going to go off"

Every woman's heard that excuse.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon