back to article SoundCloud: You can't stop the music, nobody can stop the music

SoundCloud has avoided collapse, announcing that it has secured “the largest financing round” it's ever secured. The audio storage and streaming site laid off forty per cent of staff in July and batted away rumours that it had just a few weeks worth of cash to hand. The company's strife saw it become an exemplar of the risks …

1. Christian Berger

It's one of the examples of one of the dumbest competitors...

... becoming the largest competitor.

Essentially their service could be replaced by an FTP-server and all users would be much happier.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: It's one of the examples of one of the dumbest competitors...

I avoided them and stayed with 'soundclick' for my own stuff. Trying to play "sound cloud" audio NEVER worked from FreeBSD... at least not for me, and I never though it would be worth the effort anyway.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Trying to play "sound cloud" audio NEVER worked from FreeBSD"

Another FreeBSD user here. I don't think I ever considered playing it direct from the site. I just downloaded the stuff I was interested in. Is there stuff you can only play/stream but download normally?

1. Christian Berger

"Is there stuff you can only play/stream but download normally?"

Unfortunately on Soundcloud there is lots of stuff you cannot download easily.

1. paulf
            Go

I've found this site to be helpful in downloading the occasional track from Soundcloud (that doesn't offer an official ability to download)

http://keepvid.com/

As always YMMV

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Keepvid, RIP

Another success for the media pigopolost mob. Took rather longer than I expected, but...

https://betanews.com/2018/03/21/youtube-download-site-keepvid-dead/

Information wants to be free. Corporate lawyers want to make money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon