back to article A storage giant wants to give you 46,763...

How many pages does it take to list Nutanix’s prices? One hundred? Maybe too few. One thousand – sounds about right. Ten thousand? Don’t be ridiculous. Forty-six thousand, seven-hundred and sixty-three? Well, actually … Yes, really – 46,763 pages are needed for Nutanix to list all its prices (or more precisely: 46,763 pages …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha! Good April First Joke!

No, wait...

2. samzeman

Seems like it could be much better handled by pricing each individual component, and allowing you to mix and match, with added modifiers based on how many.

Then again, what do I know. I'm only a human being who knows that documents should be under 1,000 pages. With this much you're surely getting to the point where the PDF format isn't designed for this much info, and begins to fail?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I really can't be arsed with the massive PDF, if someone could tell me how much 64kb's and a 286 is that would be grand. I really can't see the need for anything more.

Apologies, I really couldn't resist.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of the old HP price list joke

from the 90s

https://incompetech.com/gallimaufry/lunchtime.html

5. DNTP

What 46,763 is bigger than

I just went though my company's logistics book, containing all the catalogue PDFs and current quotes from our suppliers, and the square of that number is less than half the page size of that Nutanix catalog. Wowzers.

6. SirWired 1

Probably some government regulation

I have no doubt that if you ask Nutanix for pricing, the sales goon pulls up some internal website, selects the appropriate drop-downs, and out pops a price quote. But it would not surprise me if some government agency (or other large procurement organization) required published price lists in order to cut down on shenanigans with kickbacks.

It's probably easier to program the pricing system to produce this ridiculous document than it is to make the pricing system itself a publicly-available (and public-quality) service.

7. inmypjs Silver badge

Probably the product of some...

idiot excel programmer.

No one could find which of the 140,000+ product variants they want to buy rendering the whole document pretty much useless.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Probably the product of some...

We got a RFP that asked for many many options, and combined prices for all of them.. and of course the licenses, etc depended o many factors.. so we had to use excel to model the pricing, and they got like 600 pages of economic offer. Of course they complained, but there was no other way to provide what they requested..

At the end we did not get the contract, it was very clearly pre arranged, as the winner did not give all the quotes required just the one they really wanted.. and how did they know when the RFP explicitly said that offers without all the options would be rejected?

Anon, as I can no longer prove it.

8. chuckufarley Silver badge

Why do we still need PDF?

Oh wait, we don't need PDF. There are half a dozen universally supported document formats that do a better job with less resource consumption. The continued use of PDF is a conspiracy to by "The Man" to make us all waste disk space, memory pages, bandwidth, and CPU cycles. Just like cat videos.

9. Stuart Halliday

Goodness sake use text files!

10. Richard Pennington 1
    Facepalm

They are a storage company.

The price list is just drumming up demand for their gigastorage products.

11. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

"a STORAGE giant"

The clue is in the title.

12. Flakk

As The Size of Nutanix's Price List PDF Approaches Infinity...

...the odds of their premiere 42U offering being listed for $0.02 approaches 1.

Infinity or (data entry) stupidity. Either one.

13. Terry P

I don't think it's that big a deal

1.) I believe in order to bid for US Government Contracts a list price guide must be published. I'm not from the US so maybe someone can confirm?

2.) It's probably every possible combination as a result of the above and other vendors have the same most likely

3.) Some poor intern probably spent a year pulling all this together. Not all heroes wear a cape.

4.) It doesn't really give you anything, discount off list can vary based on many things.

14. Herby

Possible "explanation"?

You see, the HIGHEST priced item is first on the list, and will likely do anything you want it to. The later descriptions are there to befuddle the purchaser into saying "forget it", just order me the first thing.

Of course the most expensive thing (first one) is the one with the highest margins, but who is counting.

Lots of people order things like that because they know not what they actually need, and say "Get it!". It probably leads to a bunch of WTFs along the way.

15. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

This is what is known as...

...a Cartesian Product List

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
      Pint

Re: This is what is known as...

Nice one, Ken.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonderware pricing?

And talk about a bloody incomprehensible product selection range!

17. PhilipN Silver badge

Freedom of choice and Future Shock

Do not hear much about Alvin Toffler's tome (which I read when a wee laddie) these days but he pointed out at the time that, taking all the options including colour schemes available, you could drive a different Ford Mustang every day for around nine years, i.e. never the precisely identical one twice.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We can't imagine it ever being printed."

I love a bit of sarcasm in the morning.

1. Lates

Re: "We can't imagine it ever being printed."

Hold my beer................

19. 0laf

Cloudy with a chance of overcharging

Sounds about right for anything 'cloudy' now.

Trying to figure out wtf you are buying or even wtf you need to buy and what it and the price will be in 6 weeks form now is not easy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like