back to article Alibaba: We're no haven for pirates – we'll yank fake goods from our web bazaars within 24 hours

Alibaba says it has taken significant steps to speed up how it cracks down on counterfeit goods sold on its online marketplaces. China's Amazon reckons its freshly overhauled intellectual property protection website can strip knockoff gear from its web souks within 24 hours of legit complaints from registered rights holders. …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

"ensure the organization filing a report is the actual rights holder"

That's a hell of a step up from YouTube then.

2. KeepCalm

Copyright is like the environment

No company cares about infringements for profit until they are big enough to get government attention.

It's the same everywhere in the world.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

ebay is just as bad for counterfeit goods, i reported a seller to ebay for selling fake SD cards and yet the seller still remains on the site selling the same memory cards.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Similar problem on Amazon. Just take a look at highest capacity USB sticks, the price of some of the non-branded ones make alarm bells ring. Either the capacity must be fake or they have a data transfer rate of 1 byte per hour.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

How "locked down" are manufacturer's waste disposal procedures?

If a manufacturer rejects a batch of devices for QA reasons it should also be possible to trace their disposal through to destruction or decomposition. I suspect many manufacturers skimp on this element of their production process, in which case many of those rejects will appear on sale through unscrupulous traders. Technically they could be considered by some to be "the real deal", they are the genuine article save for the issue of failing QA. However, the accompanying paperwork should indicate this failure.

4. razorfishsl

it is a crock.... I have 20 odd USD FTDI pcb's bought over a year that are all fake.

5. Teiwaz

All in the name. Alibaba and the forty....

.....legitimate salespeople, honest....guv.

6. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Credit Card Companies can also exert pressure

Because if counterfet goods are returned for refund then it is my understanding that the Credit Card company could be held liable, so they would have a vested interest too.

7. sitta_europea Silver badge

It's bad enough if it's just a cheap copy.

But when allegedly copper wire isn't even copper, then it gets dangerous.

I have samples here, complete with 13A plug tops with no fuse in them.

China Inc. is defrauding the UK big-time.

I got a nice "Thank you for sharing" note from 10 Downing Street; that's the best I've managed so far.

8. rdhood

Alibaba not pirates? LOL

I have made about 12 orders from Alibaba. Of those, only the orders that were less than $5 were legit. Everything else was a SCAM, and took me a month to get my money back. EVERYTHING. By my estimation, about 80-90% of everything there is a scam. Most are "importer/exporter" type operations where they get a line on one item, advertise 100 similar things for sale. You buy one, and then they try to switch you to the one item that they DO have, and if you refuse you spend one or two months trying to get your money back. Or, they pretend to send you something by giving you a shipping number, and try to run the clock out on your CC purchase. Alibaba is a pit of thieves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like