back to article Small biz breaks out pen, paper after Brit tax collectors' Digital Form Service goes down

The taxman's Digital Forms Service, intended to allow small businesses in the UK to submit returns online, has been down for maintenance since the beginning of the week – forcing SMEs to use pen and paper. The service is intended to provide a digital replacement for all appropriate HMRC print and post forms, a key part of the …

1. James 51
    FAIL

If it has been down for this long it isn't maintaince any more, there is something broken.

1. Your alien overlord - fear me
      Facepalm

unless

it's run by BA !!

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

How long will it be, I wonder

I am fully expecting those users to receive in the coming days a threatening letter from HMRC accusing them of not filing their tax returns on time and warning of dire consequences if they don't hurry up.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: How long will it be, I wonder

Nah, they'll skip that part and go straight to fines. After all, they make the rules don't they.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How long will it be, I wonder

"they'll skip that part and go straight to fines"

A nice little earner for HMRC.

3. JMiles

Stop referring to 'tax payers' as 'customers'!?!

Tax payers don't buy anything from you.

You don't sell them anything.

It's a LEGAL obligation for tax payers to hand you money and/or fill out your turd forms online and offline.

Tax payers can't 'shop elsewhere': You have an absolute monopoly on the service you provide.

So.... please can someone tell HMarse stop with the 'customer' rubbish.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop referring to 'tax payers' as 'customers'!?!

"can someone tell HMarse stop with the 'customer' rubbish"

A former prison officer I know used to refer to inmates as 'customers'. Similar usage, I guess.

1. Wensleydale Cheese

"A former prison officer I know used to refer to inmates as 'customers'. Similar usage, I guess."

Ditto for a policeman and a social worker I used to know.

1. Wensleydale Cheese
          Happy

"A former prison officer I know used to refer to inmates as 'customers'. Similar usage, I guess."

"Ditto for a policeman and a social worker I used to know."

I forgot to add. Both used the term with tongue firmly in cheek, and a smile.

It was fully acknowledged that "their customers" had zero choice in the matter :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> A former prison officer I know used to refer to inmates as 'customers'.

Meanwhile, in the airline business we value clear unambiguous communication so we refer to our customers as 'freight'.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"in the airline business we value clear unambiguous communication so we refer to our customers as 'freight'"

That's news. I thought you referred to them as prisoners.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I suppose it goes back to the brief time, long ago, when it became very smart to have good customer service. If you didn't call people customers you missed out on being able to claim wonders for your customer service. As we all know customer service quickly became a cost to be outsourced to the cheapest, worst vendor, all in the interests of winning the race to the bottom but in the meantime the "call 'em customers" habit stuck.

That's one interpretation. I came up with a different one back in those same far-off days, waiting on Marylebone station for BR to find enough working DMUs to get a train together that would last long enough to get out of the station. There were occasional announcements addressed to "customers". I decided that calling them "passengers" carried slightly offensive connotations - it was an alternative term for someone not doing their share of the work. "Travellers" was clearly inapplicable as the whole problem was that nobody was able to travel and "intending travellers", whilst honest, would be embarrassing to BR. "Customers" was OK - after all we might be buying something in one of the shops on the concourse.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I got the same message when I tried to log in over a week ago; something smells, and it isnt my feet.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they should outsource it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

More to the point....

..WFT is a nano-brewery.

I've heard of micro-breweries, which tend to be ones in pubs. Is this one in a micro-pub, brewing 1 pint a week?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More to the point....

"WFT is a nano-brewery"

1/1000th of a micro-brewery, obviously.

"WFT is a nano-brewery"

One that brews nano-litres of beer?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's my Irish nans brewery.

3. katrinab Silver badge

Micro-brewery = fewer than 6 million barrels of beer per year. Nano presumably is < 6000 barrels per year. A barrel is 287 pints, so 6000 barrels per year is 33115 pints per week.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Hmmm. I sense a new El Reg unit or two in the forming.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Excellent idea

1 micro brewery = 31 litres per second.

1 brewery = 31,000 cubic metres per second.

7. Lee D Silver badge

Maybe the IR35 changes weren't such a good idea after all....

8. ukgnome

Knowing the tax office this will be the site users fault.

9. Dr Who

1.3 billion!

At a rate of £50 per hour, 8 hour days and 240 working days a year I make that 13,885 person years. I can just never comprehend this kind of thing. How can anyone spend nearly 14 millennia of people's time delivering a tax system FFS?! Or have I got my maths horribly wrong?

Re: 1.3 billion!

"How can anyone spend nearly 14 millennia of people's time delivering a tax system"

It takes an awful lot of parallel working to keep pace with changes in the Treasury's tax rules.

2. David Lewis 2
      FAIL

"£50 per hour, 8 hour days"

That's only a £400 Day rate - for "Consultants"?

Yes your maths is horribly wrong" you are out by at least a factor of 5!

3. SloppyJesse

...spend nearly 14 millennia of people's time...

They're not spending time, they're spending tax payer's money. It works on a different scale.

10. Dave Lawton
    Holmes

Lack of staff

Oh, look, all the staff we had maintaining this site have left because of something or other.

It couldn't be anything to do with IR35, could it ?

We didn't apply those stupid rules to them, did we ...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet ANOTHER......

Crap government system.

HMRC = Huge Mob Real C***s

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like