back to article Devs shun smartwatch work, gaze longingly at web-only apps again

Software developers have almost no interest in creating applications for wearables or smart TVs, but they're keen on web and hybrid apps, so much so that native-only developers are dwindling. So claims a survey of more than 13,000 developers conducted by Ionic, maker of a hybrid app development framework. "The web is …

1. Alister

Unless there is a need to access functionality of the device, as part of whatever your software does, there is little point in creating a native app.

If all you are doing is providing information, or accepting user input, then a web-based app is much the better way to go, allowing you the flexibility of having it available on all devices irrespective of architecture.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Native apps work without issues when connections are too expensive, slow or unavailable. "Social" apps are not the only kind of apps people use. If there's no need to send data back and forth, why should I need to use a web app, even locally downloaded, which usually has a less friendly interface, and just wasted processor cycles to interpret all that javascript?

Developers may like them because they are much easier to port between Android and iOS - but the real problem is that stores are now so bloated nobody will find your app easily. If developers are going back to web apps, it tells a lot about the quality and functionalities of those apps. Probably just more bloat and subpar apps trying to make a few bucks.

2. cosuna
      Thumb Down

That's what FoxPro and Visual Basic guys thought...

I'm completely bewildered by the article and comments like this one.

I all you're application does is show information and accepting web like input, then you're stuck in the Aughties, that is, your application will survive even less than Ionic.

Today most modern companies are pushing for the Digital Transformation and although the haven't yet started hiring people in the old IT departments to fulfill their visions, sooner or later, they'll get to you and they will demand Snapchat-like apps that receive data from the phone in realtime. That's a no no from the web stupidity that Ionic and Angular offer.

We've been there, done that. Want to imitate Uber with Ionic? Please don't. Want to feed video, with 3D filters (for example to automatically delete faces of people not on board), or want to serve streaming audio, or both that can rapidly change depending on the bandwidth (ala Netflix but useful for WebEx too), Look elsewhere.

So yes, if you want your career to get stuck between 2000 and 2007, before the birth of the iPhone, go ahead, GET STUCK WITH THE WEB.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloat ahoy

Watching the trash fires that are the corporate app stores from afar was most enjoyable. This is terrible news, and I wish there was some sort of honeypot to keep these shitty devs from returning to the web.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5 star rating?

What the hell is this? Websites don't have star ratings. The web is about instant access with nothing more than a url string. The web is freedom from having to wade though an app store full of window-licking reviewers.

4. Christian Berger

We'd need a simpler remote GUI protocol than HTML/CSS/JS/HTTP

Something that actually handles state, perhaps via some sort of TCP-connection. Something that handles authentication without having to re-invent the wheel every time. Something that needs a client that can be implemented in less than a megabyte.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: We'd need a simpler remote GUI protocol than HTML/CSS/JS/HTTP

Something like... XUL.

Which Mozilla has let rot for years.

5. Buzzword

Privacy

Native apps are too nosy. When installing a typical Android app, it pops up a list of permission requests as long as your arm. If you don't want to share your location, your installed apps, your contacts list, and your mother's maiden name, then a web app is the only option.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Privacy

The web makes it easy to say no.

Location > Deny FOREVER

Done.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Privacy

You can just deny all the permission requests. Well, you can in LineageOS, I was sure I'd read you could do it on stock Android now as well, right?

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Holmes

"Hybrid framework developer says hybrid development more popular than it was."

Who saw that conclusion coming?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google has form here

"..., but Lynch believes Google has made enough of a commitment to Firebase that an sudden shutdown isn't a realistic concern." Glad he has real faith. I'm not so sanguine, although I sort of like Firebase. Then again, I'm a database junkie.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those of us who value privacy and reliability

... don't want a data plan, and can't count on a Wifi connection, even if we trusted it, which we don't, much of the time.

A self-contained app is therefore the best way to go, assuming it doesn't ask for extra permissions.

GPS, maps, star charts, ballistics calculators, moon phases, calendars, mindless diversions, etc. don't need to talk to the outside world most of the time.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like