back to article Gone daddy gone: GoDaddy offloads its cloud businesses

GoDaddy is killing its clouds. The company announced an OpenStack-powered public cloud in March 2016. Now it has emailed customers to let them know their servers won't be there after December 31st, 2017, while support of the Bitnami app provisioning service expires on November 15th. Early last week, GoDaddy announced it had …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

AWS

The marketing overload surrounding "cloud" products is so offputting.

First AWS is a bland generic acronym, not a brand I instantly recognise.

Then which product do I want? Aurora, Glue, Greengrass, Beanstalk, Lambda, Route 53, CloudFront, CloudWatch, Buckets, Dynamo, Elasticache, Redshift, Lumberyard, Chime.

Seriously, what the fuck is any of this stuff.

1. deevee

Re: AWS

wow, $1.8b down the tube.

No wonder my domain registrations went up 100% (and no surprise, I dumped godaddy as a result).

1. Asylum_visitor

Surely you mean dough-mane registrations, as per the tv adverts? ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Am not an amazon schill but seriously, AWS not a brand you recognise .. jeez, been living under a rock the last decade??

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

New game! Re: AWS

New game: "AWS Service or '90s superhero?"

Elasticache was my favorite character in "The Incredibles".

4. Donkey Molestor X

> Seriously, what the fuck is any of this stuff.

I wouldn't brag too much about not knowing AWS products or not knowing about new technologies in general. If you don't keep up with the times you could get left behind. Then you'll be another sad sack in the comments, complaining that they "took your job" and gave it to somebody in Hyderabad.

(I always thought that people should "do" their jobs, not "have" their jobs but whatever.)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't HPE off load their OpenStack to SUSE Linux/Microfocus?

1. Nate Amsden

Yes i believe so. But that is different from the public cloud service they offered for a year or two or three.

Bring back go daddy girls

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

A business where buying something for 1.6Bn and selling it for less than 400m is good

So the takeaway is

"We are GoDaddy.

We are not as s**t as our competitors at loosing investors money."

Which is true. They had to roll out in 53 countries to lose that kind of money. HPE could do that in just one.

Be interesting to see what that did to their stock price.

1. Steve K

Re: A business where buying something for 1.6Bn and selling it for less than 400m is good

That's not what it says though.

They bought Host Europe Group for €1.69 billion in December 2016, which included PlusServer. They have just sold the PlusServer bit for €397 million.

It does not say what the PlusServer component cost them in the original deal, but they still have the Host Europe Group part of the business (which may or may not be worth €1.3 billion)

1. irishbucsfan

Re: A business where buying something for 1.6Bn and selling it for less than 400m is good

Correct. They actually said, last January, during their initial announcement of their acquisition of HEG that their plan was to sell PlusServer and they estimated (if I'm remembering right) that it would be worth almost exactly this amount. So I don't think this sale is really an indication of any change at all for them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

GoDaddy wanted to sell PlusServer to repay a 500m Euro bridge loan that was taken out to part finance the purchase of HEG. They had no intention of keeping PlusServer, Intergenia, server4u etc.

It does leave newly aquired brands like Heart Internet, 123-Reg in an odd position though as they have several thousand dedicated servers sitting in the PlusServer Strasbourg DC. It'll be interesting to see what happens to them.

4. David Roberts

Partial sale

What is left. Value?

5. Jim 59

Seriously, what the f*** is any of this stuff.

Lol. An excellent question, suitable for many situations:

- project meetings

- lectures

- maths classes

- TED talks

Maybe if it were asked more often, we wouldn't have had stuff like systemd, Windows Vista, Jaws 3...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like