back to article Truck spills slimy load all over Oregon road – drivers slip in eel slick

It's always The Register's pleasure to remind you that, however bad you think your day is going, someone else has it worse. Today spare a thought for drivers in Oregon after a truck carrying 3,402kg of "slime eels" dropped its load all over Highway 101. Pictures released by the Oregon State Police reveal a slimy scene as …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure it's an aphrodisiac, the truck driver spilt his load.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He was just coming down the highway

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He was milking the job as long as possible.

2. 2460 Something
      Coffee/keyboard

Icon says it all. I got some very strange looks from colleagues ..

3. TheVogon

"Korean 'delicacy'"

The real dogs bollocks then...

2. wolfetone Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Imagine the poor driver explaining what happened to their partner.

"Well the trucker was behind me, then all of a sudden his load just covered my back..."

3. Spudley

Suffice to say, we at Vulture Central are not so convinced – and we hope these charming images haven't put you off lunch.

It's making me feel a bit eel just thinking about it.

1. Aladdin Sane

Grow a spine

4. Alister

The headline picture looks like a Goa'uld, to me...

1. Aladdin Sane
      1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Everyone who understood the first comment, read the second one in the voice of Teal'c.

1. Alister

Ronan- "You know, you say that a lot."

Teal'c- "Say what?"

Ronan- "Indeed."

Teal'c- "Do I?...I had not noticed..."

2. Aladdin Sane

Everyone who understood the first comment, read the second one in the voice of Teal'c.

What's worse is that I now say it how he says it.

5. Chris G

Rules

It is a rule of mine never to eat anything that on first sight my instinct is to tread on it or flush it.

One of those 'foods' that looks as bad or worse going down as coming back up!

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Rules

That's a good rule. I'll add it to my list which is never to eat anything...

...that I can't spell

...that I can't pronounce

...that looks the same (or at least very similar) prepared & cooked to how it looked when it was alive

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

It is a rule of mine never to eat anything that on first sight my instinct is to tread on it or flush it.

Then I suggest that you certainly don't try Andouilette. It certainly smells (and tastes) like something that really, really should have been flushed..

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Andouilletes I can handle , tete de veau however is another story...

I can't even look at...

3. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

Kids up to a certain age react like that to food, they also react to how it feels in the mouth.

6. Paul Westerman
    Alien

Jeez

Now we know where those things from Prometheus went

7. GrumpenKraut
    Coat

In a perfect world, on a perfect friday,

... the eels would have been spilled by a hovercraft.

The one with the wordbook in the pocket.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In a perfect world, on a perfect friday,

"I wish to plead incompetent" ....so many people should....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Remind me where the Reg is based?

Surely their lunch normally consists of meeting up with bunch of facking Cockeny barra boys and eating Cockles, Mussels and Jellied eels?

G'awd bless ya.

(Look to you lot, anything north of the M25 is Ooop North, so anyone inside the M25 is a Cockney)

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Inside the M25

Can we put a wall around it and seal it up? That would keep a whole lor of undesirables inside to the benefit of the rest of the country. Perhaps we can coat the walls with Hagfish? The Corybnistas(just one faction of undeirables) won't dare get near it.

Mines the Winter north Atlantic Survival suit. Wearing one is the only way I'd get near hagfish (and the undesirables t.b.h.)

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Beware susi eel

Apparently eel blood is poisonous to humans unless cooked.

Which is a pity as I quite like uncooked sea food in most forms.

I've never actually had eel but people who have say it's one of those "Looks awful, tastes terrific" foods.

1. GrumpenKraut

Re: Beware susi eel

> "Looks awful, tastes terrific"

Eel doesn't look awful to me. It is very fatty (28 percent according to Wonkypedia), though.

2. Dr_N

Eel used in sushi is cooked.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

> Eel used in sushi is cooked.

As are (almost?) all freshwater fish, though for a different reason: freshwater parasites find us acceptable hosts, too. Don't know why salmon is an exception. Maybe it doesn't spend long enough in fresh water, or maybe just because precautions are taken (flash freezing for 48hrs or whatever; there's no such thing as sushi/sashimi-grade raw fish, just proper processing, btw).

1. Robert Helpmann??

Don't know why salmon is an exception.

Salmon used in sushi are from Norway. Salmon from the Pacific are considered to be undesirable for sashimi due to parasites and low fat content. Here is an article that tells the tale:

http://www.norwayexports.no/sectors/articles/norways-introduction-of-salmon-sushi-to-japan/

10. deive

"Although they don't sound particularly appetising to us, apparently in Korea hagfish are not just a delicacy but also an aphrodisiac"

Maybe you should read up on British history??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe you should read up on British history??

Are you mixing hagfish with lampreys? (They are related - same superclass, apparently.)

I guess a hagfish is an aphrodisiac for anyone who find vagina dentata erotic...

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Maybe you should read up on British history??

Are you mixing hagfish with lampreys?

I hope not - my ancestors made a living catching lamprey (and my surname is based on it).

Doubtless for generating a surfeit of, in order to feed to royalty. It's a form of passive protest don'tyouknow..

11. Stevie

Bah!

Isn't everything classed as an aphrodisiac in the East?

1. DNTP

Re: Bah!

A textbook case of confirmation bias. You never hear funny/revolting/poaching news stories about the stuff that isn't considered stiffybuffing.

1. Stevie

Sure I do; I don't read *everything* from Twitface or El Reg. But if I read such a story and if someone from the East is involved I can safely bet money on the Aphrodisiac connection.

1. LaeMing
          Meh

Everything Eastern is considered an aphrodisiac and/or mystical by Westerners. Irrespective of what actually goes on back East.

1. Stevie

Yep. "Westerners" are the source of all the stories of how bits of animals are aphrodisiac in the East. Stupid "Westerners". Forcing people of the East to suck down Tiger glands and Rhino Horn and Elephant Tusk and Hagfish in the search for Erotic Arousal.

1. LaeMing
              Facepalm

Um. I was more referring to all the hokey 'mystic' 'alternative' crap in 'health' shops around here, Seevie babiee.

1. Stevie

a) Your eastern inscrutable style hid that meaning in your post. Still does in fact. I looked hard and still can't see it. I'll have to take your word for it that your intent was obvious from the context, though I'm not sure where "here" is.

2) Speaking as a fully vaccinated bacon sandwich eater, I have no idea what goes on in health food shops, nor do I care.

&) Your sarcasm gland output has blocked your chakras, flooded your system with thetans and over-ridden your ability to spell "Stevie". Have a mug of tea and a bacon doorstep and it will wear off.

12. kain preacher

I feel sorry for the poor bastard that has to clean it up.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

I don't suppose the hagfish were too pleased either...

2. GrumpenKraut
      Unhappy

They apparently just hosed them into the ditch. Hence the really poor bastards are the hagfish.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"I feel sorry for the poor bastard that has to clean it up."

It's ok, they probably got Mike Rowe to help

(there was a 'Dirty Jobs' episode involving hagfish. they're pretty slimy, yeah)

13. Chris G

Psychomagnotheric slime flow

Who you gonna call?

1. LaeMing

Re: Psychomagnotheric slime flow

ABC (the real one in Australia) headlined their report on the incident "I've been slimed!"

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have used a hovercraft

Obligatory Python:

https://youtu.be/G6D1YI-41ao

1. Stevie
      Pint

Re: Should have used a hovercraft

E-Beer for you. Also e-crisps.

15. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

overturned #Slime #Eel truck

Never having used Twitter, how do those hashtag things work? Does the user have to put them in or does Twitter do it for you? I'm not sure how tagging as ''Slime" works since that will link to tags of all sort of totally unrelated things.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eels

Eel is bloody lovely meat.

The jelly, however, which comes purely from boiling the eel and leaving to cool is repugnant but then i dont like jelly anyway.

One of the finest things i have ever eaten is smoked eel and mustard soup in a little seafood joint in amsterdam called la piscine if my memory serves me correctley.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: eels

If you have the chance, try it at a Korean restaurant that serves it grilled on a cast-iron hot plate (or whatever they're called). It's very tasty.

17. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Thank goodness he wasn't also carrying sodium

Jeremy Clarkson was once transporting live eels and sodium metal at the same time, and it ended rather badly.

18. Anonymous C0ward
    Trollface

I've seen enough hentai

to know where this is going.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon