back to article Quantum crypto upstart QuintessenceLabs hopes to cut the cord

With AU$3.26m from Australia's government, quantum crypto outfit QuintessenceLabs has set to work getting the fibre out of its diet, and instead running quantum key exchange over free space. While there have been scientific demonstrations of quantum exchanges both terrestrially and between earth and satellites, …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"..modulate..extremely low level..phase..amplitude,..placed on..carrier a quantum-modulated signal”

So a sort of quantum stenography, where it's the pattern of changes, rather than the changes themselves, that are the quantum key?

No, I have no idea if that makes the system more, less or about the same security as single photon key transfer.

In fact I'm not really sure what that first sentence means.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obvious that these are public parasites

“The outcome won't be a product, but a technology that is ready for productisation.”

Excuse me? So someone (the taxpayer) is tipping in a vast amount of money to do some development on already existing technology to bring it to a point where the technology can then be turned into a product. This has all the hallmarks of being a vanity project: so it is an improvement to existing non-commercially viable technology to make it possibly commercially viable.

Or am I missing something?

3. GrumpyOldBloke

Go Eve!

So Eve's presence effectively knocks out communications?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like