back to article Juicy fine for Bradford firm after it blurts one million spam texts

Bradford-based loans company Provident Personal Credit has been fined £80,000 for squeezing out almost a million nuisance texts. The UK Information Commissioner’s Office launched an investigation after a series of complaints were made via the GSMA’s spam reporting service. It found that PPC had contracted third-party …

1. TRT Silver badge

Oooh! Satsuma Loans...

Are they taking the pith?

Also "...an irritation and, in the worst cases can be upsetting." I love the mild under statement.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Oooh! Satsuma Loans...

Personally I'd have sent in the Peelers.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Just make them credit every account they spammed with £1 compensation

3. DJO Silver badge

1,000,000 mails and a fine of £80,000 which works out to 8p per message.

Significantly cheaper than normal mail campaign so a win for the company. Fines need to be at least an order of magnitude higher to be any deterrent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're looking at 3.5p/msg for bulk SMS, so an 8p fine isn't at all significant.

( They're cheaper if you use GSM modems and pump them out yourself using free minutes offers, which is surprisingly easy to manage, with the help of a friendly corner shop owner ).

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Thumb Up

... works out to 8p per message.

And I wonder what fraction of their quarterly earnings is represented by the amount of the fine?

When Wells Fargo was caught systematically signing customers up for "extra" accounts over a period of many years (with upper management's full knowledge), on which they would then be billed fees, the financial watchdogs fined them an amount which to you or me would appear to be significant (some number of millions), but which represented only a percent or two of Wells Fargo's quarterly profit

Time for a corporate death penalty, and those who were wronged get to sit on the jury.

4. Nolveys
    Childcatcher

£80,000...

That'll but a big dent in their £262.9 million net income.

5. Khaptain Silver badge

A use for AI at last

Since we hear endless reports about how good AI is coming along, can't we start using it for the benefit of all and start applying all this intelligence to eliminate spam once and for all ?

1. Valeyard

Re: A use for AI at last

That was the idea behind Stross's Rule 34, and it didn't end well when the spam AI and anti-spam AI fight evolved...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A use for AI at last

There are billions of blocked SMS messages and phone calls every year, you just don't hear about it.

However how many people ACTUALLY report them instead of just moaning?

Not hard, on a mobile just forward the text to 7726 (SPAM) except 3 who have to be different 37726.

Also register with TPS and SilentCall Gard (yuk).

Won't fix it, but does make a difference.

6. frank ly

True Consent

Is there anybody who actually signs up to receive marketing texts, in full knowledge of what they are doing? I can't believe that such a person exists.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: True Consent

"I can't believe that such a person exists."

If you believe that - then can I interest you in a bridge going cheap?

"If you believe that - then can I interest you in a bridge going cheap?"

That's quite a novelty, if it flies too I'll take it!

1. The Nazz

Martin Summers :

I can do you dozen budgies going cheep.

"I can do you dozen budgies going cheep."

No thanks take a squawk!

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Is there anybody who actually signs up to receive marketing texts, in full knowledge of what they are doing?"

In some circumstance in the past, yes. But these days many of them just take the piss and send out spams way more often than they need to. No, I bloody well don't need more printer ink from InkFactory and spamming me two or three times per week isn't going to change my mind, it's just going to piss me off enough to go somewhere else next time!!!!

7. Stumpy

Minimum fine should be at least £1 per text message or email sent in these cases. That'll soon deter the buggers.

8. inmypjs Silver badge

Interest?

In April 2015?

They should back date interest on this fine at the 991% typical APR Satsuma charges which would make it a bit more than £17 million.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Provident Personal Credit has form for this kind of thing

They've been breaking the rules and being fined meaningless amounts for at least a decade, and as you can see from this article (and the many similar before it) it's had no meaningful effect on the behaviour of the company's managers.

At what point is the 'justice' er sorry legal (they're unrelated, y'see) system going to realise that the people who pay these fines are the customers, employees, etc, not the scumbags who repeatedly set up and run the schemes.

Once the scumbags behind the schemes start paying the 'corporate fines' personally, or better still start spending some time inside, then maybe company behaviours might change.

Around a minute inside per spam text per user would seem a fair starting point, surely. Maybe a bit less for a first offence.

For a million spam texts sent, that's just under a two year sentence, which typically means a year inside, and a year out on licence.

"Enough is enough", as a certain soon-to-be-ex Prime Minister was heard to say not too long ago.

All those in favour, please signify. Vote now, text LOCKEMUP or LETEMFREE to [expurgated - you can find them on Facebook too if you want].

1. Jamesit

Re: Provident Personal Credit has form for this kind of thing

"Around a minute inside per spam text per user would seem a fair starting point, surely. Maybe a bit less for a first offence.

A minute per spam plus 30 seconds per word.

10. EveryTime

How can they nnot know the total number of texts sent?

In a case like this, where some agency has the authority to fine, why can't they also conduct discovery on the actual scale of the offense? With full judicial remedy for a failure to comply.

11. BongoJoe

Er, why would I wish to borrow a fruit?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

To send emails and browse the interwebs? Or am I comparing apples to oranges?

1. Jedit Silver badge

"Or am I comparing apples to oranges?"

Indeed. Or possibly to raspberries.

12. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

About time fines were set as percentage of annual turnover

Like it sez, really. And no, 100% isnt an upper limit

1. mark 120

Re: About time fines were set as percentage of annual turnover

May next year. GDPR. 4% of turnover, or 20m euros, whichever is higher.

13. The Nazz

And what of the third parties doing the spamming?

Yeah, PPc were primarily responsible but what about the firms actually doing the spamming, with expert knowledge that what they were doing, and being paid for was wrong and against the rules.

What penalty, detriment have they suffered?

"Well, Your Honour, i only killed my neighbour's wife Mrs Brown, because Mr Brown asked me to and slipped me a few bob."

Now, if only.

14. The Nazz

Just to add

for a multitude of other reasons, Bradford is best avoided anyway. It's a shithole.

For anyone who wants a laugh, have a google for Bradford's £29m (seriously!) cycle superhighway.

1. Dz

Re: Just to add

Screw you bellend. I live in Bradford and there's nothing much wrong with it that every other city in this skankhole of a country doesn't suffer from. Tell me where you live and I can no doubt offer some words of advice as to why it should be avoided.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like