back to article Jesus walks away after 7,000lb pipe van incident

Jesus has miraculously survived a great weight from the heavens that should have crushed him to death, according to Florida TV. 36-year-old Jesus Armando Escobar was driving down the American Interstate 4 motorway on Saturday when a scrap metal truck driver lost control on an overpass above the motorway. The scrap metal truck …

1. TRT Silver badge

Meanwhile...

as Jesus Escobar climbed out from the centre of the pipe which had miraculously fallen exactly so that he was protected in the hollow core, a large bird was heard to say "Beep Beep" before pulling out its tongue and running away at a prodigious speed.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Meanwhile...

I suppose you deduced this from the discovery of a flattened coyote?

1. TRT Silver badge

That, and the motorway flyover was later found to consist only of a coat of paint.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think it's more likely that the ticketed truck driver has a metal endoskeleton and will be bakk.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"If he had been sitting in any other seat, he would have likely been killed,” officials told the local TV station

If he was sitting in another seat and driving he would have been the real Jesus.

What a peculiar comment.

1. Toltec

In the right seat

Good job he wasn't in a Tesla.

2. Dan McIntyre

"If he was sitting in another seat and driving he would have been the real Jesus.

What a peculiar comment."

Not really. I can drive my car either from my drivers' seat or the front passenger seat thanks to the placement of my hand controls.

1. Chunky Munky
        Joke

--Not really. I can drive my car either from my drivers' seat or the front passenger seat thanks to the placement of my hand controls.--

That's nothing - my mother-in-law was able to drive my car from any seat in the vehicle, provided I was behind the wheel :(

1. Anonymous Blowhard

@Chunky Munky

Upvoted on behalf of the great Les Dawson.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Dan McIntyre

Everyday I search for the one and everyday I am almost never disappointed.

Today you win the "there's always one" award.

3. The First Dave

Talking of peculiar; a segment of a pipe is just a pipe, shirley ?

1. TRT Silver badge

a segment of a pipe is just a pipe, shirley

Not really. You see what the article is referring to is just a pipe. A SEGMENT of a pipe would be any pipe formed by two planes intersecting a pipe which are not perpendicular to the axis of the pipe; where one or more of the planes ARE perpendicular to the axis, these form the special cases of a "pipe wedge" in the case of one plane only, and a "shortened pipe" in the case of both planes.

2. Number6

Talking of peculiar; a segment of a pipe is just a pipe, shirley ?

Depends on how long it is. A really short piece of pipe is usually called a washer.

And stop calling...

4. dnicholas

Was just about to post the same

3. JakeMS

Jesus!

That is one lucky guy!

PS: Naming your kid Jesus is not cool, think of going through school being called Jesus and the constant "Jesus" jokes as an adult.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Jesus!

PS: Naming your kid Jesus is not cool, think of going through school being called Jesus and the constant "Jesus" jokes as an adult.

I'm sure they'd learn to turn the other cheek

1. breakfast Silver badge

They would learn to do that eventually, but until then they would probably get cross.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. kain preacher

Jesus is a common name in a Mexico and and its produced hey Zeus

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Jesus is a common name in a Mexico and and its produced hey Zeus."

It's VERY common, and sometimes has the last name to go with it. A long time ago in a lab far far away, I saw a Jesus Christ test positive for an STD. No kidding.

2. WolfFan Silver badge

hey Zeus

Zeus is Greek, not Hispanic, and he tends to throw thunderbolts at those who make fun of his name.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

*rolls eyes*

He clearly meant "pronounced" and either made a typo or was helpfully auto-filled or autocorrected by his phone.

1. WolfFan Silver badge
            Devil

*rolls eyes*

He clearly meant "pronounced" and either made a typo or was helpfully auto-filled or autocorrected by his phone.

Yep. And I made a joke out of it, hoping to catch the humor-impaired. It worked.

3. Sean o' bhaile na gleann

I used to work for an American company that had an office in Mexico City. This involved a regular exchange of e-mails between me in the UK and the Mexican guys.

It took me a fair amount of time to get over the psychological 'hump' of starting e-mails with 'Hi, Jesus' and 'Hello Angel' etc.

3. Adam 1

It's not that based, it is based on the same name as Joshua.

Yeshua (Hebrew) -> Iēsous (Greek) -> Jesus (Latin)

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Yeshua (Hebrew) -> Iēsous (Greek) -> Jesus (Latin) --> Oy! Nutter (ASBO English)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We have a Jesus who is a team lead. His team have 'Jesus is coming, look busy' as their team logo.

4. WolfFan Silver badge

Naming your kid Jesus is not cool, think of going through school being called Jesus and the constant "Jesus" jokes as an adult.

Around here, it seems that roughly every fifth Hispanic male is named 'Jesus' (and some have 'Maria' in the mix; south Germans tend to have that, too) and every sixth Irish male and some Hispanic ones are 'Francis Xavier'. I even know a Jesus Maria Francis Xavier Suarez, though I admit that I did ask him what he did to get his mom mad with him. If you tried to rag on the assorted Jesui in school you'd undoubtedly have a close encounter with a lot of angry Hispanics. Bad idea. As for Jesus jokes at work... that's creating a hostile work environment, son, and I'm pretty sure who'd be laughing as you exit the premises with your stuff in a cardboard box.

And 'Jesus' is far from the worst possible name. I went to school with one boy who was named 'Armour of God'. Everyone called him 'Armie'. I swear I'm not making this up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" I went to school with one boy who was named 'Armour of God'."

Better than being called Operation Condor, I suppose!

(anyone not getting this terrible joke, go brush up on your Jackie Chan!)

2. ICPurvis47

I went to school with a chap named Warren Peace. What were his parents thinking of???

1. This is my handle

I hope he at least had a sense of humor about it, unlike the sophomore in my 11th grade Spanish class "Ginger Rail". I may have misspelled her last name, but pronunciation wise it was ... you got it: just like Schweppes.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> Naming your kid Jesus is not cool, think of going through school being called Jesus and the constant "Jesus" jokes as an adult.

I think that would be borderline anti-semitic.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Antisemitism...

Well he was nearly killed at an overpass rather than a passover... dangers of being a first born.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> PS: Naming your kid Jesus is not cool, think of going through school

> being called Jesus and the constant "Jesus" jokes as an adult.

Sigh...Not where he lives...

Are you Megan "Father Christmas is White' Kelly?

Don't be so insular. There are many cultures out there you know.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You said it, man.

Nobody fucks with the Jesus.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: You said it, man.

Not even Mary Magdalene?

1. TRT Silver badge

8 year olds, Dude.

2. WolfFan Silver badge

Not even Mary Magdalene?

Depends on how seriously you take "Jesus Christ, Superstar". Way back when the then il Papa just about had a cow at the thought of carpenter-boy Josh banging some Asian chick. Which was one of the major reasons why I went to see the movie when it came out. Boy was the local preacher-boy pissed when he found out; he sentenced me to umpty-ump 'Hail Mary's. I told him to get stuffed. Haven't set foot inside a house of indoctrination since, other than at weddings and funerals.

<exits, singing "Don't Know How To Love Him">

1. kain preacher

There are people that believe Mary Magdalene was his wife and not a whore. Just that the men at the time a that assembled the bible could not handle the idea of a strong women.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"There are people that believe Mary Magdalene was his wife and not a whore. "

Assuming he existed at all, that's quite likely. It would be quite unusual for a man not to be married in that time and place.

2. PhilipN Silver badge

UV'ed for the Big Lebowski nod

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Pah, almost no damage to that,,,

,,now surviving this, now these are worthy of divine intervention being the reason they survived!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/11/between-these-lorries-is-a-car-the-woman-inside-survived-4982877/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2704093/Crash-victims-miraculously-survive-thumbs-car-crushed-flat-lorrys-shipping-container-load.html

6. Pedigree-Pete
    Joke

Local TV station.

Am I the only one who read that as WTFTV9. PP

7. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The funny side is a bit morbid here

I had the pleasure of being behind a lorry carrying a container full of scrap on the A14 when it started losing bits of it. Driving down the road to see various bits of metal including what to be a car bonnet tumbling through the air and barely missing your windscreen by a few cm is not very funny.

I had to overtake it at 90mph+ with a "lead foot" praying that nothing else flies out of the top of the skip during the 15 or so seconds to do so and then call the cops to pull him over and secure the road (sharp metal through your tires is almost as pleasant as sharp metal through the windscreen).

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: The funny side is a bit morbid here

That's not good! Unfortunately I've also seen insecure loads on fast roads more times than I'd like (i.e. >0) The worst I saw was the side panel of a lorry carrying scaffolding tubes that popped open under the Gs on entering a roundabout. The person in the next lane was not amused, nor was I - I have quite sensitive hearing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> The worst I saw was the side panel of a lorry carrying scaffolding tubes that popped open

A friend's son was following a couple of lorries on a motorway when the first suffered a suspension collapse and the leaf springs fell out onto the road. The lorry in front of him ran over one and flipped it up: it went through the windscreen end-on and then through his eye socket, taking the side of his head off.

Somehow, he brought the car to a stop without crashing. His girlfriend, who was in the passenger seat, was unhurt. (As unhurt as seeing a scene from a horror movie play out in front of you can be.)

After three months in a coma and ten months in hospital he got to go home with 'life changing injuries' (as the media now like to say) i.e. blind and deaf on one side, severe brain damage and unable to do anything for himself. He was only mid-twenties.

There is no upside to this story. The police did track down the lorry and driver but because it had passed its most recent MoT they couldn't prosecute.

What can I say? Make the most of what you have when you have it.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I had to overtake it at 90mph+ with a "lead foot" praying that nothing else flies out of the top of the skip during the 15 or so seconds to do so

Captain Wedge Antilles, I presume?

3. GingerOne

You were behind a moving vehicle with bit falling off and you decided to go faster and overtake rather than stop? Dumbass!

4. Commswonk

From (not recent) past experience driving on the A14 requires courage above and beyond the norm at the best of times, at least on the section between the M1/M6 and the M11.

I did something similar to what you did on the A6024 from Holme Moss downhill to the A628 (Woodhead) to warn an HGV that his load of (empty?) oil drums was shifting rather alarmingly.

Not an experience I am anxious to repeat...

8. Tronald Dump

Well

I hope he's not stigmatised because of this incident

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well

It's just a cross he'll have to bear

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Trollface

Dont worry, he's not the messiah, he's a very lucky boy!

2. Tom 7

He'll never eat maltezers again!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, apart from playing on the guy's first name, where's the angle that makes this worthy of anything other than a footnote in the local news?

Oh yeah, his name's Jesus. And he had a miraculous escape from an accident. Hahaha. By the way, that's a pretty common first name in Spanish-speaking countries. And if you're going to laugh at his name, how about laughing at all the people called Christopher?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ooooh!

Someone's cross.

1. Craig 2

Re: Ooooh!

Nailed it.

1. kryptonaut

Some of these comments are holy inappropriate

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I pray he calms down.

2. theModge

Chris Morris is to be fair hilarious, if you haven't yet laughed at him I suggest you start now. The Brass Eye is amazing, the religion special seems appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGkw6mHxJw

Other, the day to day is also great

3. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least he had some protection from the vehicle body - what if it had been Christ on a bike?

1. Wensleydale Cheese

"what if it had been Christ on a bike?"

I've seen Jesus on a bike.

It was in fact a moped, but the guy himself was a dead ringer for the subject of all those medieval paintings and sculptures you see in churches.

Two years ago, somewhere in Europe, when I was on my hols.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've seen Jesus on a bike

LOL, sounds like a good title for a novel :)

Also upvotes for converting "Christ on a bike", which is an expression I have actually heard somewhere..

1. Wensleydale Cheese
          Happy

"'Ive seen Jesus on a bike"

LOL, sounds like a good title for a novel :)

I knew that authoring software I got in a special offer would come in handy one day.

Book outline started :-)

11. wolfetone Silver badge

Hold on, "if he had been in any other seat he'd have been killed"?

Well if he was in any other seat he wouldn't be driving, and not in that place at that time?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just as he got out of the car ..

.. he was arrested for having a Mexican name, and now awaits deportation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just as he got out of the car ..

Trump hasn't even managed to beat Obama's numbers (yet another disgraceful failure and a fuck-over of his voter base), so it's pretty unlikely.

13. jtaylor

It wasn't just Jesus

Article picture shows "big popes." Maybe this was a team effort!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jesus wept...

Because his insurance wouldn't pay out.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of a similar story

I was one day going downhill to work, when I stumbled upon a big rock on the road. Stopped to remove it, noticed a big mark of resinous bark on the road. Shrugged and then continued down on this zig-zag road, just to arrive just below where I'd stopped previously.

A big (by our standard) 15 m long tree for a good 3 tons, was lying across the road, blocking it, and I was the second to arrive so it must had been happening minutes ago.

End of the day, I arrived back with my chainsaw 20 mins later to saw it and noticed it had been chopped by a chainsaw, not fallen from the wind. I also noticed a guy almost hiding behind the dozen cars already piled up in a small van, looking from afar.

The guy was loading wood on a truck 100 meters above the mountain, when he lost one tree, during busy time for the road, and I can tell he had already crapped himself when he came to see if anyone was injured ! He finally took the chainsaw from me, explaining: "let me do it, it's mine after all".

If it had fallen at the moment I was driving down, even my Toyota would have been crushed like an ant under a sledgehammer. Myself included.

16. Tronald Dump

Some miraculous first aid....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jesus-first-plasters-band-aids/dp/B00BTGMS0Y

17. hellwig

Quite a European Description

American Interstate 4 motorway

Did you mean "U.S. Interstate Highway 4", shortened as "Interstate 4" or "I-4"?

1. kain preacher

Re: Quite a European Description

UM it's either US route , US Highway or interstate. Never heard of US interstate. And this would be interstate 4 or I-4 but other than that I've never hear of the term Motor way used in the US or Canada for that matter.

1. hellwig

Re: Quite a European Description

I guess technically it's the:

Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways

But you're right, I kludged US Highway and Interstate Highway together.

18. Stevie

Oh Danny Boy

The pipes, the pipes were falling.

19. Captain Obvious
    Joke

Maybe all of this....

was just a pipe dream!

20. herman

Pray tell what is the technical IT angle to this miracle?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

His phone hath bluetooth.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Jesus is Neo from the Matrix, and the Matrix is practically a mix between guns, cyberpunk, Philip K. Dick, multiculturalism, AI and Trinity. Thus, we technically have an approximation of a mix betwen Jesus/Trinity/AI and cyber-multiculturalism, with added transsubstantiation, and possibly intersectionality. We thus arrive at the conclusion that Jesus is, in fact, technical (disregarding the fourth element of the trinity and replacing it by the missing dimension: time!), but also woke, but without gun control.

But definitely technical.

3. Captain DaFt

The pipe was part of an upgrade to ex-senator Ted Stevens "Series of tubes" internet? ☺

1. TRT Silver badge

Hyperloop test track delayed...

4. DropBear
      Trollface

Well, it did start as a cautionary tale of the dangers of broken pipes...

5. hplasm
      Coat

The Internet IS a series of pipes...

There's the IT angle.

6. mattje

Having El Reg open at work, it technically looks work-related

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course he had to survive miraculously

He is "Jesus" after all. How else can the story contnue, if he was crushed. Even the earlier iteration 2000 years ago came back from the dead to transform the world and creat the religious wars ! I'm sure Trump is scheming something similar, to punish Mexico for this outrageous transgression on his territory.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Of course he had to survive miraculously

Yeah about that,

Self-loathing Murricans butthurt that Mexico lost its territory:

Will Mexico Get Half of Its Territory Back?

Mexico is now a victim ripe for reparations.

Hey, maybe the UK can get some pieces back, too?

I always though that WWII transformed Japan into crazy self-punishing animeland, but apparently this can be bettered.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

St. Jesus

He is proof that miracles happen and is next in line to be anointed/ canonized as a saint. The Pope is busy working on it.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jesus cant die

If he did, all the poor Jehova's witnesses will become unemployed and stop bothering households ! Man, that would be a catastrophe. I would miss them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Jesus cant die

If you tell them you didn't see the accident they stop coming round.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There must be...

A Mel Gibson joke somehwere.

The Smashin' of The Christ?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lucky he had no major injuries to his lower extremities

Then he'd be Christ on a crutch!

26. cray74
    Flame

To phrase this delicately, "F*** I-4."

When I landed a job in Orlando I made sure to select a home so that my commute avoided that death trap. I tell visitors that all four Mad Max films were made on it, and if they can pick hotels that do not require travel on I-4 to their favored destinations (Disney or my office) then they should do so.

I-4 outside of Orlando and construction zones isn't terrible, but the city grew up so rapidly after the 1970s (thanks, Mr. Mouse) that it engulfed I-4 and turned a "limited access" interstate into a winding, frequently-accessed thoroughfare integral to Orlando commuting. High speed traffic from outside the city crashes into slow-merging traffic from numerous on-ramps complicated by ongoing construction, so there's typically about one traffic death per week in the Orlando stretch of I-4.

You can tell when there's a bad wreck on I-4 because the early morning meetings are only half-populated.

"Where is everyone?"

"Wreck on I-4."

"Ah."

27. handleoclast

Able to walk away

Yes, but with the penguin-like gait of one who has suddenly, explosively shat himself.

28. Chris Evans

The drivers name!

Was it Damien by any chance:-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon