back to article IETF moves meeting from USA to Canada to dodge Trump travel ban

The Internet Engineering Task Force has taken the rare (and possibly costly) decision to relocate an upcoming meeting out of America. IETF 102, scheduled for mid-2018, was booked for the San Francisco Hilton, but instead will be held in the Fairmont Hotel in Montreal. The reason, as announced by IETF Administrative Oversight …

1. ThaumaTechnician

I wonders whether rooms 1738, 1740, 1742 and 1744 will be booked...

Maybe Trudeau, the son, can stop by at the meeting.

1. gerritv

Re: I wonders whether rooms 1738, 1740, 1742 and 1744 will be booked...

There is always John and Oko's room.

Nice hotel, was there 3 days a week for over a year. And great food underground in that part of Montreal.

1. Rich 11

And great food underground in that part of Montreal.

Potatoes? Parsnips?

1. Chemical Bob

"Potatoes? Parsnips?"

Marmot.

2. bitten

Trying to imagine food underground: Mushrooms, meat and eggs from protected species, dogs, humans ... ? Maybe there is a reason those people stay out of the US.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Big Brother

stupid politics

this is just a way of them making a POLITICAL STATEMENT.

IETF needs to be A-political. Apparently it's not.

Besides we shouldn't really care about people from the handful of "banned nations" when it comes to the internet anyway. After all, do we really want THEM dictating or affecting any kind of intarweb policy for the rest of the world? I don't.

('big brother' icon because of the unnecessary politics)

adding a link - not their first rodeo, either:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160526_ietf_descent_into_the_political_rabbit_hole/

1. Mephistro
      Thumb Down

Re: stupid politics

"...we shouldn't really care about people from the handful of "banned nations" when it comes to the internet anyway"

Congrats, Bob. Your straw dog looks more like a straw brontosaurus. Good work!

If you had been paying more attention to the latest developments regarding US customs -or even bothered to read the fucking article- you would know that the issue does not only affect attendants from "banned nations" but any foreigner that enters or leaves the USA. As in Mr. Sternberg's case, where he was rejected entry with no reasons given. Or the vetoing of visitor's social media profiles or the - temporary?- requisition of visitor's electronic devices or the proposed obligation to give electronic devices passwords to the TSA. Or any other stupid occurrence Cheeto may have in the next twelve months.

The "banned nations" part in your comment is just a -poor- attempt at misdirection, and I can't see it gaining any traction in this particular forum. Perhaps you should go somewhere else to peddle your wares, some place more sympathetic with your ideas. How about the Faux News forums?

Have a NICE DAY!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If you had been paying more attention to the latest developments regarding US customs -or even bothered to read the fucking article- you would know that the issue does not only affect attendants from "banned nations" but any foreigner that enters or leaves the USA."

Mephistro, you say "any foreigner" is affected while the article states 15% are merely "concerned."

Did you not read the fucking article?

1. Mephistro
          Facepalm

...you say "any foreigner" is affected while the article states 15% are merely "concerned."

FYI, John: "concerned" != "affected"

To make it clearer for you: The fact that 15% of possible attendants are "concerned" doesn't imply that a 15% will be affected. The % of foreign visitors "affected" is actually a 100%, in the sense that ANY foreign visitor can will be affected by these stupid measures.

You should seek help with your issues with reading comprehension. Or remove your political blinders, before their weight breaks your neck.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Devil

"Or remove your political blinders, before their weight breaks your neck."

pot. meet kettle.

1. Mephistro

Hello again, Bob!

Funny. I point out the faulty logic in your (and BJ's) comment and you answer not with a rebuttal, but only with a -granted, very mild- ad hominem.

An advice: you (and BJ) should leave the ad hominem for the end, after having demolished my arguments. The ad hominem alone just make you look silly.*

As I said before, a forum where most of the readers earn their beans using complex logic may not be the best place for you two.**

*: Yes, this is an ad hominem.

**: See *

PD: Thank you for not "shouting" in your last comment! 8^)

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
              Unhappy

"not only affect attendants from "banned nations"

The way the whole USG has been going since at least 2001 that feels like any country not the US.

And no, that includes the 5 I's.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
            Boffin

@Mephistro Re: stupid politics

You really have a libtard bug up your backside.

What policy are you citing where 100% of the foreign travelers will be adversely affected?

That's right. There are 0 rules that impact all travelers which will adversely affect 100% of the visitors to the US.

Those 15% concerned should be the concern for the rest of us on the internet. It means that they have more in common with 'chicken little' than they do with the rest of us who use the internet.

Now lets face the reality.

Montreal is a much nicer place than San Francisco where there a band of black wearing fascists running around accusing anyone who doesn't look like them or agree with them of being a nazi. I kid you not. Some bloke who's v-blogger was attacked because he was wearing a blue polo shirt.

In Montreal, you have the French Ballet which is a much more enjoyable diversion for all.

IMHO that's probably the real reason.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

@Mephstro Re: stupid politics

Dude,

Before you call the kettle, pot, did you read the article on the link provided about Stenberg?

(the fractured quote is intentional...)

I have to ask... if he didn't do the pre-approval, would he still have been denied boarding?

(Free clue... could be an IT fsckup not the TSA or DHS muck up)

To be clear, the IETF is making a political statement by doing this. They are citing an unknown where there is no evidence of any more travel bans. That's like saying we're going to host the meeting where people can travel by ship or train so that we can avoid air travel due to the risk of a plane falling out of the sky.

Now that's plain silly.

I hate to use the term libtard, but that's exactly what you have here.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Besides we shouldn't really care about people from the handful of "banned nations" when it comes to the internet anyway. After all, do we really want THEM ...

Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Kommunist.

Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.

Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten, habe ich nicht protestiert; ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.

Als sie die Juden holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Jude.

Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Writing this from another IETF - the one in Prague which starts today.

First and foremost. Bob - you are an idiot.

The issue is not travel ban, the issue are the searches. Most real IETFers (especially the old guard) have some serious issues with the idea of US Border performing arbitrary copy of their devices, retaining their devices for up to 5 days and being required to supply all passwords to their devices. It is not because we have clandestine or illegal content on them. It is out of principle - the stuff on it is ours and some Stalin border wannabe does not need to know what is on it.

As far the IETF being apolitical - it never was. Even the massive infestation by standard tourists and shills paid by one well known Chinese vendor has failed to make it apolitical. So I am all for it making a political statement even if this means that the Montreal conference fee will have to go up a few hundred dollars.

1. ItsNotATrap
        Mushroom

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please!

This is the war room, you can't fight in here!

2. DrM

You miss the whole point of the article -- Trump bashing. The role of modern journalists these days.

They have to complain about the Trump Travel ban. Not only is it great alliteration, it has been vilified, the definition warped into Islamophobia and away from vetting. It gets people to read articles, tickles the group-think.

Some long-winded piece about the pros and (major) cons of searching computers. just isn't sexy. You have to explain why customs can look up your arse for drugs, but should leave your phone untouched.

1. Paul 135

Agreed though there is no such thing as "Islamophobia". There is no "phobia" or "ism" if you say anything negative about the white man so should not be about anyone else.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Trump Travel ban. Not only is it great alliteration"

No it isn't. Two out of three might not be bad but it's not alliteration either.

And it's vilified not because "it's warped into* Islamophobia" but because it has already shown itself to be capricious which makes it impossible to reliably ensure that the it makes it impossible to guarantee that those who need to attend the meeting will be able to do so.

* Is "into" the right word here? I'd thought "from" might have been more appropriate but I admit to not understanding what passes for Trump's thought processes.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"to reliably ensure"

Dammit. Tautomerism and a split infinitive. Your downvote was merited.

3. lglethal Silver badge
          Facepalm

Re: stupid politics - DrM

"You miss the whole point of the article -- Trump bashing. The role of modern journalists these days."

I dont know, I would have thought the news that a major international electrical conference was moving the locations of its meetings out of America was kind of relevant news for an IT News Website.

But then again if you dont want to hear any news about IT and IT related events happening in the world, maybe you shouldnt be reading an IT News Website!

Muppet.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"You have to explain why customs can look up your arse for drugs, but should leave your phone untouched."

Reasonable suspicion? Probable cause? Wrong colour skin? A furriner?

5. IT Poser

Blanket downvote explanation based on just one line

You have to explain why customs can look up your arse for drugs, but should leave your phone untouched.

The better question is why customs can perform anal drug inspections to begin with. Just because one failed program(Let's face it. If I really wanted to I could find any type of drugs I want.) exists does not justify using it as a model for other police action.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Most real IETFers (especially the old guard) have some serious issues with the idea of US Border performing arbitrary copy of their devices, retaining their devices for up to 5 days and being required to supply all passwords to their devices.

I hope you do realize that Canadian Border Services Agency has virtually the same search and seizure powers as their US counterparts. In particular, they do not require a warrant to examine any and all of your electronic devices, and can demand that you provide password(s) needed to unlock access to the data. They are also within their rights to retain any of your devices for further examination, copy any of your data, and share it with other agencies as they see fit.

We Canadians may be more polite about our Big Brother spiel, but we are very much inside the US security perimeter, and it shows: Even our trusted-traveller program is being run by the U.S. Homeland Security. By default, you should really assume that any data on you obtained by any branch of Canadian government is automatically shared with the Americans.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Its the searches?

In these days of the Cloud, who carries sensitive data on them anyway?

Sheesh. simply download it all via the hotel wifi from your VPN when you get there.

And as far as passwords go, simply change them all to Foxtrot.Oscar! before you leave, and change 'em back when you get there.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"In these days of the Cloud, who carries sensitive data on them anyway?"

Who'd put sensitive information in the Cloud?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC Re: stupid politics

So you trust sensitive information on the cloud?

Silly boy... that's the first place that they look and they don't even have to leave Ft. Mead to do it.

5. Ian Michael Gumby

@AC Re: stupid politics

Really?

When was the last time you had to submit to a search and a copy of your hard drives?

Do you think that the UK Is any better?

Seriously as a Yank who had the unfortunate chance to pull a job in the UK, I was routinely harassed by your border control agents because one twit claimed I was stealing a job, when in fact I was there to train and bring up to speed several people instead of the work being kept in the US. And once you get a stamp, you're hassled until you get a new passport every time you fly thru London.

Oh yes. International travel is so much fun these days.

4. Christoph

"Besides we shouldn't really care about people from the handful of "banned nations" when it comes to the internet anyway. After all, do we really want THEM dictating or affecting any kind of intarweb policy for the rest of the world? I don't."

Thank you for confirming the attitude of the USA to the rest of the world. "We own the game, everyone has to play by our rules, anyone who disagrees doesn't count." "We define ourselves as the goodies, so that proves that anyone who disagrees with us are the baddies."

The people from those banned nations just happen to be human beings, just the same as americans. Yes, that's right - people who happen to be US citizens are not special super-beings appointed by god, with the divine right to piss on eneryone else and sneer at them while doing it.

5. Hollerithevo

@meph... Thanks for your replies. I have a Canadian colleague who is going to attend and was deciding not too after getting lots of hassle in US Customs in the airport going to the last one. He said the queue took forever, that he feared for his laptop and phone, and he had to keep explaining why, as a Canadian, he was coming in from France (where he works).

The USA can close its borders and keep out anyone it wants to, but it has to expect that people will decide for themselves what to do about this. We foreigners can keep trying and run all sorts of risks, as well as unpleasantness, or we can go somewhere else. And we are going somewhere else.

It is called the logical consequences of initial action.

1. Pedigree-Pete
        Pint

It is called the logical consequences of initial action.....

also known as voting with your feet (and wallet). Have an upvote. PP

6. handleoclast
      Thumb Up

World Record

@bombastic bob

I've contacted the Guinness Book of World Records on your behalf. They're prepared to accept your post as an attempt to set a new record for the most downvotes on an El Reg commentard post in a single day.

You have until midnight tonight for the votes to count.

Best of luck!

7. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Sell crazy somewhere else.

(Melvin: As Good as it Gets)

8. Ian Michael Gumby
      Facepalm

@bombastic Bob Re: stupid politics

First, how many of the IETF members are coming from those 6 countries ?

So... while you are right that the IETF may be making a political statement, its also possible that they fear that a member could be blocked from travel.

But I will speculate a third reason... they are afraid of getting attacked by a group of rogue Antifa members and accused of being Nazis because they dress differently.

And that makes me wonder.... Is Antifa which is supposed to be against fascism yet acts more like a group of fascist black shirts, all just a fascist hipster attempt at being ironic?

3. Notas Badoff

Next year in wallmerica

A world-wide organization I'm a member of finally set next year's meeting, in Washington, D.C. The only way this makes sense to me, is that it will be so short a distance to go protest outside the Capital.

"You're attending a conference on 'religion' and 'violence'? Denied!" I'm not sure even the Canadians will be able to get there, to talk about their amazing work on non-violence and conflict resolution.

It may just end up being a two venue teleconference after all. (Hmm, I think that's the see-through wall Trump has been talking about?)

4. a_yank_lurker

Convenience?

SF is slowly become a high priced slum (more like open sewer) and not exactly someplace people would want to visit. Montreal seems to be a nicer city so it makes sense to move away from SF. Just need a plausible reason, so Trump to the rescue. They get the best of both worlds; out of SF to a nicer city and blame Trump for local consumption.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: Convenience?

You say "blame Trump for local consumption" but in fact that is exactly not the point. US residents can attend a meeting in SF with no problem; the issue is whether all non-US-residents can do so if they wish - which at this time is unknown for July 2018. Hence, since the IETF is an organisation with no (repeat no) limitations on who can participate, the US is no longer a reasonable venue. This isn't a political choice; it's practical matter. Canada has visa requirements too, but at present they don't appear to be arbitrary or discriminatory.

Personally I've attended successful and convenient IETF meetings in both SF and Montreal in the past, but then, I don't have a passport that leads to discriminatory treatment.

1. a_yank_lurker

SF politics skews very leftward and Trump is utterly hated by many residents of Baghdad by the Bay its environs. So using the Trump bogeyman is playing to the locals.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why would IETF care about "playing to the locals"? It is an international organization, and most of the attendees will be from outside the US. You Trump lovers really are some sensitive snowflakes, you can't handle anything that smacks of criticism of your orange idol.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You say "Trump lover" the way the Democrat racists said "N*gg*r lover" a few decades ago.

Just sayin...

2. kain preacher

Hey try San Jose or Sacramento .

5. DrM
    Coat

Sounds good to me

Canada is welcome to all the travelers from countries that cannot properly vet its citizens (per Obama's standards). If the tourist dollars are worth the risk to their citizens, OK. Perhaps they will take a more careful approach if they get a building or crowd bombed.

For that matter, if a full 15% of the attendees are from the list of six countries, it's a great idea to move it out of the USA, excellent.

If the 15% are not on the list of six countries, then either they perhaps they believe the hype being pedaled about how horrible it is in the USA? Or they think themselves SJWs and are saving the world?

1. DavCrav

Re: Sounds good to me

"For that matter, if a full 15% of the attendees are from the list of six countries, it's a great idea to move it out of the USA, excellent."

For the record, I'm a straight white British male, birth and residence, going back many generations, and I'm concerned about US Immigration, enough to reject an invitation to a conference in Berkeley, just down the road from this. However, I am going to Canada in October.

1. StillBill

I wouldn't travel to Berkeley either and I live just down the street in San Jose. Berkeley isn't a safe place to visit as anyone with a controversial (to them) conservative opinion causes massive riots, destruction of property and shutting down of highways. Berkeley is just outside of Oakland that has one of the highest crime rates in the USA (your chance of being a victim of a major crime while living in Berkeley is ~ 2%/year).

Yeah San Francisco is working hard to take back those statistics from Berkeley/Oakland - but they haven't managed it yet. I would much rather travel to a nice Canadian city and worry about border control on the way back than have to deal with California

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Berkeley isn't a safe place to visit as anyone with a controversial (to them) conservative opinion causes massive riots, destruction of property and shutting down of highways.

Why do you need a controversial conservative opinion for all that? Back in Glasgow we used to do very well without.

2. InNY

It's rather sad to see the "let's see what happens when we do this"; "you think you're tough?"; "someone has to look out for the little guy, we are the right people for the job" mentality that made America great being subjugated by a small minority of tired, frightened people cozying up to the bully, hoping they are the next target of the bully.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Canada is welcome to all the travelers from countries that cannot properly vet its citizens (per Obama's standards). If the tourist dollars are worth the risk to their citizens, OK. Perhaps they will take a more careful approach if they get a building or crowd bombed.

A tip: Don't say things like this aloud. It just shows you are:

1) A scared little snowflake (to use your right wing terms)... Funny how the Trumpets come up with insulting words for others that actually apply more to them. It's of course a classic case of Psychological Projection.. Trumpets could have written the book on that subject (if the could read)

2) Someone who believes Fox 'news'. They make out that terrorists are running amoc in Europe, Sharia law is taking over, and silly misguided fools believe it.

3) ISIS supporter. - ISIS is all about unjustified restrictions on people, and therefore loves unjustified restrictions 'the land of the free' puts on innocent people - not only is it good old ISIS thinking, but the whole point of their terrorism attacks is to frighten people unproportionally to the actual threat. You are a classic case of one of their pawns. They want the West to demonise innocent Muslims. It helps their cause. You are one of their star foot-soldiers.

4) An American traitor. Related to the above points, you show why countries have been losing respect for America. True American patriots are friendly, tolerant, helpful. fair, and very intelligent and innovative. It's what actually made America great. I feel sorry for the many decent Americans now surrounded by a bunch of insular, paranoid, scared, racist bigots who seem to wear stupidity as a badge of honour.

As for tourist dollars, you want to keep people out to keep you safe, but ironically there are 2 major things affecting peoples desire to holiday in America - the aforementioned border restrictions, and your out of control gun crime.

Now, to save you from falling into the trap, I'll help you out. - Your reply would probably be about how the gun violence problem is exagerated, and people are naturally scared of something the press hypes up if they don't actually live there and know the real situation.

Well, I agree - (to an extent - there may be some hype to it, but the right wings response is positively delusional)

But guess what - DING-DING-DING - That's exactly what you are doing with terrorism threats, and then some.

So, please tell me why terrorism is driving you potty when:

Number of Americans killed by terrorism in the last decade: 24. Number of Americans killed by guns in the last decade: 280,024.

More Americans are killed by toddlers with guns than terrorists

Finally, for your reading pleasure: The Psychology of why Americans are more scared of terrorism than gun, even though guns are 3,210 times likelier to kill them.

Have a nice day!

6. Not That Andrew

These Trump articles really bring the racists out the woodwork. I'm sure they'd feel more comfortable over at Reddit.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The White House don't care

All they'll say is that less undeirables (anyone from outside the USA) are trying to get into the USA and threaten national security.

I'm not going to spend my tourist dollar in the US for the first time since 2011. There are plenty of people like me who are voting with their feet and going elswhere.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: The White House don't care

Trump only really cares about looking good in front of crowds (and what affects his own business interests).

It's a pity for the country that some of the knee-jerk, crowd-pleasing stuff is going to cause some serious disruption in some business areas. But that's democracy for you.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

"here are plenty of people like me who are voting with their feet and going elswhere."

Are there any reports of US tourism destinations reporting dips in visitor numbers? Maybe the Trump hotel chain has some numbers?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There has been little to no decline in tourism to the US this summer. In the last few months the US Dollar strengthened, making such tourism more expensive, but some are claiming it's the "Trump slump" instead, based on a steep, temporary dip in the numbers when the Travel Ban was in the news.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> but some are claiming it's the "Trump slump" instead, based on a steep, temporary dip in the numbers when the Travel Ban was in the news.

On the other hand, you would need to go back nearly twenty years to the time when I came to the conclusion that setting foot on the US wasn't the best way to go about my humble ideals about freedom and human dignity. Judging by the nonplussed reaction of my employers at the time, I was far from being the first.

In fact, a few years before I made my decision, Mr Walker, of AutoCAD fame, had come to the same conclusion. His "one down, one to go" bumper sticker would seem strangely pertinent these days.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

3 presidents and the war on tourists must continue until the last one is stamped out.

"What's that? You thinking the W misspoke when he said that?

Impossible."

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: 3 presidents and the war on tourists must continue until the last one is stamped out.

Didn't May say the same in Wales?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Didn't May say the same in Wales?

Probably, but no one was listening.

9. Mooseman Silver badge

Is it me, or are the Trumpistas getting more strident and ridiculous day by day as they see their idol getting more and more ridiculous?

It seems to be an oddly US-centric aspect of how Americans see/idolise the president that you don't really get elsewhere. Its almost like criticising their father or similar.

Even something contentious like Brexit in the UK has less of a knee-jerk support for the leaders (e.g. many pro-Brexit commentards would not be so outraged by others pointing out the current PM is an uncaring cockwomble, for example, but would defend their political goal).

Even a symbolically powerful role like the monarch that also divides opinion fails to ignite the same pro-Trump/anti-Obama frothing as most UK 'republicans' may be against the idea of the monarchy but don't feel need to launch verbal rants against Liz herself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Trump is a Troll.

Some of us judge a president not by what he says, or the color of his skin, but by what he does.

Trump is getting some important idiocies rolled back behind the scenes.

Sure he is creating a few more in the process, but history will judge.

The IETF should reflect that the Internet and the RFC process worked without any government involvement other than the original research grant to create a global network that is one of the wonders of the world.

And its under threat from politicisation. Net neutrality. Encryption backdoors. Anti-trolling legislation. Etc.

All of which were rolling forward nicely under Obama, and may actually be less emphasised under Trump.

Re: Trump is a Troll.

"And its under threat from politicisation. Net neutrality"

Eh? How, exactly, is net neutrality a threat to the internet?

A threat to ISP profits perhaps, but hardly a threat to the functioning of the internet. Quite the reverse really.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Trump is a Troll.

"The IETF should reflect that the Internet and the RFC process worked without any government involvement other than the original research grant"

Very true. So the problem now is that government involvement has become an impediment to allowing the IETF to meet in one place, that one place being the US.

2. Sanguma

how Americans see/idolise the president

Interesting - and true. I'm not a royalist, and the quickest way to elicit a groan from me in public is to show me the latest woman's mag with royals on the cover. And I've actually met one of the bleeders - shook HRH's hand in Sumner, NZ 2011.

But criticize the US President? Heresy! Burnt at the stake at 11 ... insecurity. Rather like the people they love to condemn, in fact, the Islamophobes who can justly condemn the extremist Muslims for being too much like them. Irreconcilable similarities ...

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge
        Devil

many pro-Brexit commentards would not be so outraged by others pointing out the current PM is an uncaring cockwomble

I thought that was the one point of clear agreement between the sides? Especially if you s/uncaring/incompetent/

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Broflakes are like that.

10. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

FAIL

AFAIK the IMPS Motorcycle Display Team also pulled out of performing at a military tattoo in the US this year. They did however have a great show in Canada. When it is uncertain that even children will be turned away at the US border you'd be mad to organise any event there.

http://www.impsonline.com/

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boycott the orange-u-tangs antics

The guy just hates being mocked, he's a narcissistic asshole.

12. CanadaGrandpaChris

Drop by and enjoy a day off Internet Engineering Task Force in Fenelon Falls, Canada.

13. W. Anderson

Canada is in America - North America

The article author has apparently fallen victim to the very popular mistake in his statement about hosting the IETF meeting "out of America" - in Canada, no less, as if the word "America" automatically means United States of America alone.

Over the past thirty plus years of residing here in good ole USA, I have found that most citizens who have never or rarely traveled abroad almost always are ignorant about the "correct" terminology with North America, Central America, South America, as if they do not exist, particularly - even in archaeology documentaries referring to America with any consideration what-so-ever for Canada or Mexico.

Richard Chirgwin and indeed most "Americans!! " need some serious, non-fake education in Geography.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the real truth

they just didn't want to have to deal with San Francisco. Prostitutions not legal here either and hitting on the women in tech these days ends up in a lawsuit.

15. silks

Tricky

Not sure this will help #MAGA :(

1. Pedigree-Pete
      Black Helicopters

Travel anywhere near the USA.

It's not just a question of where the conference is held. If you travel via a US airport you're deemed non-airside and basically imported with your luggage and the aforementioned checks (suspicion/indignities) before being promptly exported with the same again. Of course, the fact that you set out with no intention to set foot in the good ole' US of A seems to be taken as some kind of international slight.

Once in the US of A I've always found the people I meet to be kind, interesting and interested. It's getting through that barrier that for me is no longer worth it.

I appreciate the OP pointing out that Canadas Border agency are only just behind, but I have a feeling they apply it with more good humour and dose of common sense. Can't wait to visit. PP

Icon.>>> Keep your Montana mountain base. I'd feel safer with "our friends in Hereford".

16. Aodhhan

If the travel ban really pisses you off...

Then why give into it by changing locations?

--Seriously...

Better to go through it and provide your real life horror stories to the world than to give into it...

By giving into a ban, you give it strength.

Now, if you don't want to go to San Francisco, because it's San Francisco... this I get.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like