back to article US blogger to enjoy Singapore jail

A blogger who accused a Singapore judge of "prostituting herself" has been sentenced to three months' jail, AFP reports. Former lawyer and US citizen Gopalan Nair, 58, made the ill-advised remark while commenting on a hearing "at which Singapore founding father Lee Kuan Yew and his son, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. alain williams Silver badge

Shoot the messenger!

and bury the news. Always a good strategy for the powerful corrupt to adopt.

2. adnim

Here's hoping

That UK MP's don't get a whiff of this story... I can see a new UK law coming into force, with the line between insult and criticism being very blurred or at least open to interpretation.

I dare say, What Justice Kan Ting Chiu saw as insult, others would most likely see as criticism, or dare I? oops, too late now.

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

The Law has always been an Ass?

No word about whether the inflamed comments were true/justified though? A bitch is a bitch is a bitch and it makes no difference if you call her a dog and give her lipstick and whenever you have a System which is Adversarial and Supports with Champion Practitioners, both Crime and Victim, you have a Corrupt System which actually encourages Abuse and Injustice for the Consideration of Increased Wealth.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Literal interpretation?

Sounds like a particular public servant doesn't understand the phrase and took the first word at it's most common meaning and not as it appears to be meant in the blog, "selling out your beliefs"

5. Sooty

ahh,

the old forgetting your not in the US chestnut.

If your in a country that does not have a right to free speech, so anywhere that's not in the US, then moderate what you publish! Even in the US if you published something, without evidence, alleging that a judge was corrupt you would get into trouble, why is it such a shock!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smart move

The guy didn't deserve it, but he's hardly bright either for making those comments. I mean, the Singapore judges are hardly known for their leniance and sense of humour, eh?

7. mego

Ermm.

Was the guy IN singapore?

8. Rob

@ adnim

"I can see a new UK law coming into force, with the line between insult and criticism being very blurred or at least open to interpretation."

It very nearly did, a few years ago, as part of Rome II (harmonisation of non-contractual undertakings, iirc). Briefly, people would have been able to bring defamation cases in the English courts, under foreign law. For example, French law, where the truth is not a defence if the complaiant is a head of state.

We managed to stop it, though :)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Singapore

Not much freedom of speech there - it's been that way for many years. Sort of democracy, but not quite. Best to treat it as a stopover - enjoy the shopping and a couple of Mai Tai's, then leave.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Going to assume he was in Singapore

though would be nice if you were explicit.

But, when in Rome; Singapore has a lot of politically correct laws don't they - no chewing gum - no smoking - it sounds like hell, but if you go there should be aware of the laws.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldn't happen here???

Before you think "couldn't happen here", remember what can happen to you if you wear a "Bollocks to Blair" T-shirt in a public place:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/5135150.stm

12. Anonymous John
    Paris Hilton

Pillock!

Paris, because she'd have more sense.

13. Colin Drew
    Thumb Down

He was right though.

prossies and corruption... thats new.

A first for me, agreeing with a legal eagle, but he was right, and she is corrupt.

14. Unlimited
    Alert

no smoking?

@AC

No smoking? Is that new? I always choose ( and pay extra for ) singapore as the stopover point simply because of the bars in the airport which allow smoking.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

So no more

Wacky Jacqui or Bumbling Bush or other corrupt, inept, deceitful, lying, warmongering, ignorant public officials. Maybe if that judge wasn't selling her soul to the current scum in charge he wouldn't have said that; then again, maybe he would and who knows?

Paris, 'cuz she wouldn't sell herself.

16. theotherone
    Paris Hilton

every

"The charge of insulting a public servant carries a maximum penalty of one year's jail and a fine of up to 5,000 Singapore dollars ($3,500)"

ok then, every public servant in Singapore is a cunt ...... how much do I owe?

paris ...cause..... u guessed it

17. The Mysterious Panda
    Paris Hilton

@ Anonymous Coward and 'Bollocks to Blair!'

It's worth pointing out (though a little late for the case linked) that the courts have already decided that 'bollocks' is NOT an obscenity :D It contextually means 'nonsense'.

Paris, because she's well versed in handling contextual nonsense.

18. Solomon Grundy

@amanfromMars

Hahahahaha. That may be the only emotional thing I've ever seen from you.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just remeber Kiddies

When you go to a different country , you play by their rules.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Arrr Singapore be a place to avoid mates

We would anyone even go to that country? They'll jail you, kill you, or beat you with a stick for pretty much anything.

21. Joe Zeff
    Go

Nothing new here

This is just plain, ordinary Contempt of Court. As a former lawyer, he should have known better and now he's paying the price for his stupidity. This isn't an attack on Freedom of Speech, or proof that it doesn't exist in Singapore, it's just a judge insisting that she be treated with respect. He'd get the same treatment (if possibly less severe) in England, Canada or America. Nothing to see here, move along.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

On the contrary

It's an attack on freedom of speech when it occurs in any country.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Hmm

"" He'd get the same treatment (if possibly less severe) in England, Canada or America. Nothing to see here, move along.""

Actually, I doubt that. This is just freedom of expression which would be respected here.

It's his blog. It's his opinion. He's entitled to an opinion and he's entitled to state it although apparently not in Singapore.

24. kain preacher

@@amanfromMars

Wait a coherent,rational , emotional post by him ?? SO that means he is a real person or some hijacked his account

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ no smoking?

well I think you can still smoke in designated areas, and outside, but drop the end anywhere apart from a designated spot, and it is the bamboo canes and dripping water.

It is a very strict country, quite a few find that pleasant, but seems a bit too draconian for my liking.

26. This post has been deleted by its author

27. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Yeah so?

Just because other countries do it doesn't mean its OK or not an attack on free speech.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Evidence

More evidence that only test cricket playing nations can be considered civilized.

Personally I would never visit a country with laws like this. Absolutely disusting.

Fascist bastards

29. NB
    Joke

Singapore

is a fine city, you can get fined for damn near anything there!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like