back to article Dell gives world its first wireless-charging laptop if you buy $580 extra kit

Dell has given the world its first wireless-charging laptop. The Latitude 7285 12-inch two-in-one is in most regards a typical typoslab – the PC's Intel Core i5 or i7 CPU, 128 Gb or 256GB solid state disk, 8 or 16GB of RAM and other essentials lie behind a 2880 x 1920 touch screen that can be detached from the keyboard so you …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Regardless of the price, the idea is good

What we need next are standards so that our desks can directly include the charging pad. One arrives at work or at a meeting and voila constant charging.

In fact, I don't really care if it adds charge, just as long as it is capable of retaining approximately the same charge for the whole day. Although adding charge would be nice too...

I am writing this the train and I would love to think that even on the train I would be able to work for a few hours without the need for cables, ( this train does have power outlets but they are above head height at the top of the window and it just isn't chic having the cables/charger hanging from above.

But knowing how standards are very seldom achieved, certainly not when there is a commercial gain to be had, I won't be keeping my hopes very high.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Regardless of the price, the idea is good

Most laptops now have power for 5+ hours. That's a very long train ride.

I'd rather the train company spent the money on better seats.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Most laptops when they are brand new might have 5 hours.....

I am using a Surface Pro which is about a year old, with an active wireless connection for the Wifi as I am permanently connected to the VPN ... believe me it certainly won't do 5 hours.... As I mentioned I can use the cable but it is annoying and the idea of wireless charging is definitely appealing...

And as for 5 hours it's not so long. If I do Geneva - Zurich, it's already a 2h45m journey, and I still have to do the return journey. and that doesn't include the time spent in the station or on the tram.... 5 hours can easily add up. Ok when I arrive at the office I can charge up again....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

An today, most trains used for long travels have power plugs available (airplanes as well).

3. Sgt_Oddball

I'd rather the train company spent the money on better seats.

FTFY.

1. Commswonk

I would argue that Regardless of the price, the idea is not good.

I am nobody's eco zealot but I strongly suspect that a charging system such as this will not be anything like as efficient as a proper direct connection, and reduced efficiency means more power consumed.

Yes; you can forget a critical lead but is lugging even more weight around a sensible solution? There is a whole host of things that can be forgotten on a trip (my phone charger is a personal favorite) so I have bought a USB lead that lives with the laptop kit to provide some "business continuity".

Just another gadget for hipsters to rave about; I would put anyone buying one of these in the "having more money than sense" category.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

" I strongly suspect that a charging system such as this will not be anything like as efficient"

I agree . Gimmick . Probly find out in 20 years that the massive hysterysis field required to pass the current an inch or so from the matt to the device makes your balls drop off.

Also , that entire battery life / train conversation is irrelevent. Standardised matts are not required - plug holes that are not on the train ceiling are.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Probly find out in 20 years that the massive hysterysis field required to pass the current an inch or so from the matt to the device makes your balls drop off.

Boys who willingly use Dell hardware don't usually have to worry about that.

https://boygeniusreport.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/dell-dude-1.jpg

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Railway Carriage seats

Look here you plebs. What today you call standard class is in effect the 3rd class of old. That meant wooden benches, no roof and certainly no heating.

Modern carriages are specifically designed to make you suffer for just being plebs and unable to afford 1st class. The seats are rock hard for a reason. It saves the Train Leasing company a few squid on the build but means that they can charge the Train operators more for the latest seat designs which are little more than wooden benches covered in cloth. The Train Operators don't want people to travel all the way from London to say Edinburgh as the ticket brings in less profit than a London to York and a York to Edinburgh. Profit, profit and to hell with the passenger, sorry customer experience. And no you can't have a nice view out of the window. That costs more. Besides aren't you supposed to be spending all the journey with your head down twittering or facebooking or whatever? There is no time to look out of the window!

So Plebs, just think yourself lucky that there is a train at all. If the DoT had its way all the railways would become toll roads. Just think of all those mega profits that would roll into the Treasury then and no subsidies to boot. Quite how the people who work at the DoT would get to work is another matter. Perhaps they'd all move to Shipton-upon-Stour where they could all walk to work in a car free environment while the rest of us choke to death.

That's my cynical view of modern trains after experiencing a Class 700 from Brighton to Bedford last week. Indian Railways 3rd class was more comfortable.

2. Down not across

What we need next are standards so that our desks can directly include the charging pad. One arrives at work or at a meeting and voila constant charging.

I get the equivalent of that (at the desk at least) for a lot less money. It's called a docking station. Additionally it provides wired network and additional screen estate via monitors plugged into it.

Meetings I can live through on battery. And if the meeting is too long for battery to last, then I'd be better of not living.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

I've never understood this

Over the years the IT industry has come up with lots of good ideas, but then priced them so wildly that the alternative is much cheaper. The worst example I have was my LS120 ( I think that's the name/number) superfloppy drive. The discs for that were so expensive that no one bought the bloody things. And fairly soon along came optical drives with media at a fraction of the cost.

It seem as if there is a disconnect, too often, between price and value. The £200 item that would be worth having for the convenience, say, if it was £50. But otherwise, who needs it.

1. Mark 110

Re: I've never understood this

I just don't understand whats so inconvenient about a wire.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Tell me that same thing when you forget your wire... I have to travel once a week and every second or third I always manage to forget something, although usually, it is not the charger, it did happen to me recently and the Surface Pro, like many laptops, now has a damned dedicated charger.......

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

@Khaptain

Right, so when you're traveling you would prefer the hassle of not only taking a wire but adding the charging pad to it. Sorry, I don't see that see that as a convenience.

Plus, let's be honest, a charging pad is nothing more than moving the electric socket to the table surface. It is no more convenient than a docking station, it just sounds sexier.

Until wireless charging can happen from the outlet to anywhere in the room, it will be nothing but a hipster fad that can be advantageously replaced with a wire for a fraction of the cost.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Well that's the point (my point anyway). A wireless charger might be useful. But in ££ terms, how useful? It might be worth paying an extra £20, or £50, over the cost of the standard kit, but while North of a hundred quid may be a realistic price point for the amount of kit involved is it worth paying? I dunno. More than that????

And the article does point out that the widget still needs plugging in, so it's not much more than a convenience. A couple of spare chargers sounds much better value.

3. Mage Silver badge

The charger pad adds extra bulk for longer term travel / multiple locations and SHOCK still needs a PSU and wire!

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Wireless is the new Bling/fashion statement.

IT does not matter if it is an awful compromise, costs a bomb and is inconvienent. It is 'where it is at Man!', So cool. (not)

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

" A wireless charger might be useful."

no, no it wont . It is a total gimmick , one that uses a lot of extra hardware , and probably power for absolutley zero benefit. look past the hype.

It is NOT WIRELESS - there is still a wire going from the pad to the plughole

note - plughole still required

It is still forgettable - this is not a cure for forgetting your charging wire .

If people thing there are going to be magic charging pads all over the place then no , no there wont , not without standardisation , in which case they may as well standardise a plug on a wire - much cheaper and more likely to be taken up.

Your laptop has a battery for when you need it to be wireless. (same as your wireless mouse)

This is a soluion to a problem that dosent exist.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

There was a prototype train on display in York Railway Museum a few years ago. One of the features was the wireless charger built into the table top.

I guess the problem is choosing a standard that will last as long as your typical train carriage. Back then, it was only suggested for a phone. You'd probably needs something more powerful for a laptop.

Back to the idea of better seats...

3. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Interesting aspect ratio - anything not 16fucking9 interests me. So I zapped straight over to the Dell website to see if they do any laptops like that (I'm not interested in thin + light + unrepairable + unupgradable). No, of course not. 4 different resolutions of 16fucking9 and nothing else.

Bah.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

If you slump into the sofa, you then need to balance the mat on your knees and carefully balance the Dell on top of that. Or just use a mains lead and not care. I know which option I'd go for :-)

5. Mage Silver badge

Pedantic ...

A) It's not wireless, it's inductive.

B) It makes it LESS portable.

C) The so called "Wireless" charging plate needs a cable and PSU brick or wall wart identical to a direct connection.

Adds extra cost, less reliability for dubious advantage compared to a dock or direct cable. It's mere hipster fashion.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Pedantic ...

And yet the inductive phones don't weigh any extra.

This is still a project in its early stages ... I for one hope it can mes to light

2. Cuddles

Re: Pedantic ...

"Adds extra cost, less reliability"

Actually, that's by far the main benefit - not having to constantly make and break connections means much better reliability. USB connectors have a fairly good MTBF these days, but damaging ports, plug and cables is still generally the main point of failure for portable devices, other than cracking phone screens by dropping them. Indeed, despite all the fuss about Apple getting rid of headphone ports, I've been using bluetooth for years simply because of the annoyance of having cables fail (especially the ones I used to connect my phone to the car stereo for some reason).

Whether the benefit is worth the cost, especially for a laptop that hopefully uses something a little more robust than a micro-USB charger, is reasonable question, but reliability is the one area where wireless charging unquestionably has the advantage.

6. Mystic Megabyte
    Windows

Ha!

"Windows 10's full array of delights is yours for the using."

Very droll....

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Windows 10 delights?

anyone who says that needs to wash their mouth out with coal tar soap.

1. kain preacher

Re: Windows 10 delights?

Windows 10 delights

Ahem steve maybe he is into BDSM . Maybe he likes to torture people. Or he could be a lying bastard politician.

7. Baldrickk

So I still need a wire

...to my desk, and the laptop to be on the desk. The freedom of wireless!

This is as useful as wirelessly charging phones - on a recharge pad. "Oh look, I don't need to plug in my phone to charge it"

"Oh look, I can pick mine up and use it while it is charging, and it charges faster." Backwards wire based technology wins again.

8. Cuddles

Interesting price

My Qi charging pad for my phone cost less than £10, and you can get adapter kits for many phones for not much more than that. A laptop system will need to handle higher power, but £330 worth of higher power that isn't compatible with any other device? I'm not convinced.

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Make Tesla's tachyon energy ray a reality!

Whaddaya mean, "physics"? Don't give me physics! Stop shirking and get on to it!

10. cmrayer
    Happy

Isn't the USB-C connector that can be a charger, a USB dock or a Thunderbolt dock and charger a better option. These days using a Dell XPS and Samsung S8 you can have one dock on the desk that with the same cable can cater for everything a phone or laptop needs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like