back to article Dental app startup drama: Two attack websites and a lawsuit

A dental app entrepreneur and his former business consultant ended up in a playground war of character smears conducted via attack websites in each other’s names – and one even sent an associate with a warning to the other’s home where his wife and newborn child were present. Dr Andrew Guise won £25,000 in damages for …

1. Rich 11

Such charming people

This is an instance where you really want both of them to lose.

1. lafnlab

Re: Such charming people

A plaque on both their houses

1. Stevie

Indeed. Their actions came back to bite them.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

They should have taken better caries in choosing their business partners.

2. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

Free Software?

I bet if it had been FlOSS then would he have had the same problem?

3. frank ly

An app for that

An app for recording attendance at CPD courses? If it's important for your profession then your professional body should have that covered and dentists are a regulated and professional body. The intended 'business model' stank to high heaven anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: An app for that

My partner worked in a quality assurance role for healthcare professionals, and in their experience, the professional bodies require CPD, but it is the professionals who have to record the details. Obviously the professional body would have a record of any CPD it provided, but there's a lot that is provided by employers, commissioners and third party providers.

Most healthcare professionals have so much clinically important stuff to attend to that maintaining CPD records can be a real pain, particularly for small practices or sole practitioners, so I can see the logic for the proposed app (even if the business model for the app developer is suspect).

1. Rajeev Shah

It's never been intended to be suspect - it's simply to ask users what they want to learn or need in order to progress in their careers and, with their explicit permission, to then suggest to educators what they should be producing in order to meet that demand.

The intention is to help make CPD more relevant and form part of a career development strategy rather than merely a box-ticking exercise for the sake of the regulator.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The thing is, if your professional body does such an app then they also provide the information to the regulators about who hasn't got the requisite number of points (say 2 short) within the required period, whereas otherwise you can self certify that you've gotten the additional 2 points by reading the industry magazines spammed to you. (allowable under our cpd rules)

For this reason, it's generally preferred to keep the records in paper in our industry so the regulator only gets them if they ask us for them.

3. Rajeev Shah

The model is not untoward - it's simply to ask users what they want to learn or need in order to progress in their careers and, with their explicit permission, to then suggest to educators what they should be producing in order to meet that demand.

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Never rely on verbal contracts.

Go the extra mile, talk to a lawyery type and draw up a contract detailing who is responsible for what, roadmap, failure case and so on, which both parties have to sign etc etc.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Especially for the failure case.

Been there etc etc... so long ago that moths have eaten the t-shirt by now.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Never rely on verbal contracts."

Or an oral agreement. Amalgamate the business properly.

1. Swarthy

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. "

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the end the dentist won and managed to extract cash from Mr Shah's wallet (dentists are good at that) without anaesthetic which I imagine will cause him considerable pain. Never screw with a dentist as they have ways, see Marathon Man (Laurence Olivier) and Little Shop Of Horrors (Steve Martin).

You have a talent for causing things pain

Son, be a dentist!

People will pay you to be inhumane

6. Your alien overlord - fear me

Coming soon on Channel 5 - "Dentists, bastards the lot of them"

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Dentists, bastards the lot of them"
      Oh, I dunno... I quite enjoyed Armand and Michaela Dentist's TV shows when I was a kid :-)

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
  8. ma1010
    Holmes

He planned to do what?

As consumers are reliant on the tech he will change the terms and conditions to include payment for basic services and allow himself to use your personal data as freely as he likes...

So, he's going to do business just like Google and any other "free" site on the web, then? TANSTAAFL!

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

at the High Court

The Crown Court would have been more appropriate.

But thank you, Reg, for filling in the details.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: at the High Court

Depends how much Nitrous Oxide was used.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: at the High Court

"Depends how much Nitrous Oxide was used."
        Oh NO it doesn't ;-)

Pass us that cocaine will ya?

Can't remember the last time I was put under by a dentist. Probably the 1950s or 60s...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Torvalds vs Poettering

Comes to mind here.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like