back to article Dark web souk AlphaBay outage: Users fear they've been scammed

Dark web marketplace AlphaBay has dropped offline, sparking frenzied speculation that its admins may have disappeared for good after pocketing a swag bag of digital currency. The outage may be down to a simple security update, if assurances offered through Reddit are true. The AlphaBay marketplace became inaccessible in the …

1. Kaltern

Crims in Criminal activity shocker! Innocent drug-fuelled customers hit, as pre-planning murder purchases go up in fragrant smoke.

I wonder if they'll try a different site to Hire-a-Hitman?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

They could just call the cops.

LOL

2. Dal90

"Security Update"

Translation: Warrant has been served, nodes seized, tracking software being installed.

Tin foil or overly cynical?

1. LewisRage

Re: "Security Update"

really doesn't seem that unlikey does it? if they've popped the darknet site then gaining control of a reddit account seems trivial in comparison.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Sorry, what did they do again?

They are, or were, a marketplace for... what exactly?

1. frank ly

Re: Sorry, what did they do again?

"Guns 'n' drugs 'n' rare orchids 'n' stuff ..."

2. gypsythief

Well, apparently the "King of the Paphs" referenced in the picture caption, or "Paphiopedilum rothschildianum" as it's more commonly known, only grows between 500-1200m[1] on North-East facing slopes of Mount Kinabalu in Malaysia, that are near ravines rich in Serpentine rock[2]. As a result it is highly endangered, and Orchid fanciers pay up to $5000 per cutting[3], which I suspect is a) highly illegal, and b) highly profitable.

Hence being sold on the dimmer, darker, dodgier corners of the webernets.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paphiopedilum_rothschildianum

[2] http://huntingtonblogs.org/2012/04/king-of-orchids/

[3] http://thehigherlearning.com/2014/07/25/why-are-people-paying-as-much-as-5000-per-stem-for-this-orchid-photo-gallery/

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Sincere appreciation for the answers. I assumed "the usual" but was not sure and now I see my assumption was lacking.

4. cat_mara

What's the world coming to, eh?

I'm shocked, *shocked* that the admins of an illegal marketplace would do a bunk with the loot!

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: What's the world coming to, eh?

Crazy ain't it?

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Total Inability To Supply Unusual Products?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not you as well El Reg...

"Dark web"? Really? Can't you just skip the scary hyperbole and refer to it as Tor?

1. gotes

Re: Not you as well El Reg...

I believe "Dark Web" refers to dodgy .onion sites which are accessed through Tor. Tor is just the network which provides anonymous access to the sites.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon