back to article Banking app startups go TITSUP as payment slurper keels over. Again

A number of banking app startups were forced to shut down their services Thursday after their payment processor fell over for the second time in four months. Customers of UK fintech upstarts Monzo, Revolut, Curve, Loot and Starling Bank were hit with thousands of customer complaints after their connection to the broader …

1. Oh Homer
    Trollface

"we don't [go] into that level of detail"

Translation: "We fucked up and don't want to embarrass ourselves."

Oh, plus it's a financial institution, and can therefore play the "security" card as a bogus explanation for everything, just like the government does every time it breaks the law.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

""impacted a proportion of transactions"

100% is a perfectly respectable proportion. As is 0%, which is my level of respect for the dissembling cockweasel of a spokesthing.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

So a bunch of companies I've never heard of have built UI's to another companies API

I've never heard of, and their back end has collapsed.

Oh, ah missus. Shirley another excellent opportunity for a headline missed there?

Turns out building a high availability, high volume financial transaction processing system is quite hard work.

Who knew?

Call me when significant numbers of people are actually using these systems outside of Shoreditch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So a bunch of companies I've never heard of have built UI's to another companies API

Revolout is well known especially for people travelling abroad.

You load up a prepay card and can change to any local currency with no charges.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So a bunch of companies I've never heard of have built UI's to another companies API

"Turns out building a high availability, high volume financial transaction processing system is quite hard work."

Yes, best left to Co-Op, or maybe RBS, or how about HSBC,nope lets try Tesco's...Got it NatWest...Bank of Melbourne? No lets try JP Morgan....Lloyds? Chase? Anyone?

1. Alister

Yes, best left to Co-Op, or maybe RBS, or how about HSBC,nope lets try Tesco's...Got it NatWest...Bank of Melbourne? No lets try JP Morgan....Lloyds? Chase? Anyone?

Or instead, how about companies that actually do transaction processing, like Verifone, Ingenico, SagePay or Allpay?

It's very rare that they break.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Unhappy

companies that actually do transaction processing, like Verifone, Ingenico, SagePay or Allpay?

TBF I imagine they had some issues when they had just started out.

Which is sort of my point. It takes time and effort to learn what the real issues are in building these sorts of systems.

4. Alister

The reason for the outage is obvious - you can't set up a company and take over a well established acronym from another field, and expect it to work reliably.

The mobile apps are obviously completely confused as to which GPS they should be using to make payments to.

Just you wait until someone makes a payment of £10.52 and all the SatNavs jump ten miles east...

5. Natalie Gritpants

The Co-operative business banking web site is down

Am I the last customer?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: The Co-operative business banking web site is down

Am I the last customer?

I suspect so..

6. RedCardinal

>>Monzo, Revolut, Curve, Loot and Starling Bank

Who?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like