back to article Crackas With Attitude hacker 'Incursio' gets two years in the clink for embarrassing CIA boss

Another member of the Crackas With Attitude hacking group has been sent down – after breaking into the email accounts of more than 10 US government officials, including the then-director of the CIA. Andrew Otto Boggs, aka "Incursio," 23, was part of a five-person group – three in the UK and two in the US – calling itself …

1. Mephistro
    Happy

At first, I misunderstood the title and thought that the hacker had managed to put an "embarrassing CIA boss" in the clink for two years..

Then I noticed my error. Going to put this Champagne back into the fridge. ;^)

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Current Attitude

Slightly redfaced.

3. daver66

looks not so good.

4. deive
    Facepalm

"The cost of cleaning up after the incidents was put more than $1.5m" - maybe if they spent even a fraction of that on security in the first place??

1. Aodhhan

You really expect ISPs to put millions into securing customer email accounts?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think he was referring to Director Brennan's employer - maybe the CIA should have thought about making sure the Director's online activities, even his personal ones, were a bit more secure.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

"he cost of cleaning up after the incidents was put more than $1.5m, "

Yet the whole British NHS can mitigate Wanacry for £180K?

At least one of those numbers is complete BS.

BTW Head of the CIA is a political appointee. Don't these VIP PHB's get some kind of security assessment to check over if their hardware, software and practices are secure enough to handle their job?

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Kevin Mittnick: "The Art of Deception."

Good book.

Deserves to be more widely read.

Especially by support staff at telcos and networking companies.

7. DagD

wave of the future malware

The next generation malware will be able to analyze bits of recorded conversation (think youtube) to extract dialect and voice fingerprints to synthesize a person's voice for profit. Will probably have about 80% accuracy in fooling someone who knows the person if it's a quick conversation.

Of course the voice analysis is only half the battle. The massive deception will also require having extensive insight on the victim you are attempting to impersonate (think facebook).

1. nijam Silver badge

Re: wave of the future malware

> The massive deception will also require having extensive insight on the victim...

...or to be talking to a helpdesk droid whose minimum (or lower) wage disinclines them from challenging you.

1. Mephistro

Re: wave of the future malware

Or an AI-run helpdesk, without human CSRs. Phone robots are obnoxious enough already! Shudders...

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Trollface

"next generation malware..analyze..recorded conversation..also require..extensive insight..victim

OMG this is genius.

If I were a VC (Vicious Capitalist) on the dark net I would looking to set up a meeting (well a video call with blurred out faces and distorted sound channels) to kick some bitcoin into this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like