back to article Samsung ploughing billions into boosting memory production

Memory and flash fabber Samsung is boosting production, convinced that high demand for chips is here to stay. Demand will stay high, Samsung says, because the Internet of Things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI), big data and automotive technologies all need more DRAM and flash. It says it will invest KRW 30 trillion ($26. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Maintaining a balance

While Samsung has been spending beeelions boosting memory production, I have been spending several pounds reducing mine to keep the balance. To this end I have had to increase my consumption of alcoholic comestibles such as Fuller's London Pride and Harvey's Sussex Best. Someone has to do it

1. handleoclast

Re: Maintaining a balance

Ah yes, alcohol-erasable memory. Too many erasure cycles renders it unreliable.

2. Chris G

Any idea of how many read/write cycles a Bishop's Finger will take care of?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Bishop's Finger

Using one of those as a sign bit may get you thrown out of the pub.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Any idea of how many read/write cycles a Bishop's Finger will take care of?"

At this point I was going to make a smart arse reply about Bishops' Fingers etc and how it impacted on memory but the reports from the Vatican/Australia made me reconsider. Not funny anyway you look at it.

3. Alistair
        Coat

Whups, misread that as a Bishop Flinger.

Would there be an appropriate warning sign outside pubs employing bishop flingers, so one does not get mowed down by flying bishops on one's way in for a pint?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They always think this

That's why RAM (and more recently, flash) continually goes through a boom and bust cycle. I like reading about huge new investment in memory fabs, because it means a crash in flash prices a few years from now to the benefit of everyone who doesn't own memory fabs!

I used to care about it because it meant cheaper RAM, but now a beyond-useful amount of RAM for a PC or laptop is so cheap, getting cheaper doesn't have nearly the same impact to me as does dropping NAND prices.

1. Aitor 1

Re: They always think this

When prices go too low, just create and old and tested cartel, as the memory producers tend to do...

3. GrapeBunch

Tender memory.

Yes, we need more chips. One says turn left. Other says turn right. Why can't we just get along? Life is the Art of Compromise. Memory says: please don't forget the brick wall forward. This Public Service Message provided by the makers of your memories. Awwww.

4. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

They resisted the temptation...

...to make the factory layout look too much like a motherboard.

I suppose they were concerned about employees standing outside smoking being bad for PR.

Now they will need to enquire where the bus stops.

(Sorry, I grew up in the era of Benson & Hedges advertising).

5. Mark Exclamation

Oooh, look, more targets for Kim!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The next memory glut has been scheduled ...

The Memory death spiral continues

boom, ooh look at all this money, lets build more fabs and shrink process nodes, ooh look at all this memory, bust, stop building capacity !!, ooh eck the prices are going up ...... boom ... de-dah-de-dah

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like