back to article German e-gov protocol carries ancient vulns

Germany's e-government system is open to padding oracle attacks and other vulnerabilities because of an insecure communications protocol. According to this SEC-Consult advisory, which landed on Friday, the problems are in the OSCI-Transport Library version 1.2, for which a common implementation is in Java. OSCI, the Online …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a backdoor - by mandated design.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Hanlon razor

It's a backdoor - by mandated design.

Not even Hanlon actually. ‘Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.’ is a saying by Napoleon Bonaparte.

1. Richard 26

‘Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.’ is a saying by Napoleon Bonaparte.

It's a saying often attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte but it's doubtful whether he actually said it.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. David Roberts
    Coat

We have ways of making you talk?

See above

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: We have ways of making you talk?

Listen very carefully, I'll say this only once...

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

" secure, confidential, and legally-binding transmission over untrusted networks "

Given these factors perhaps a little more Teutonic thoroughness in the testing? Maybe an actual formal analysis of the protocol to find logical flaws?

But this is what really impresses.

"the OSCI-Transport library only needs to be in the classpath of an application - the vulnerable application does not need to actually use the OSCI-Transport library! "

Genius. A vuln you don't even need to use to make you vulnerable.

That said IRL. 1) This looks like an Oracle user issue. 2)How extensive is this protocols use (I'm guessing in Germany, quite a bit) 3) Who uses this version of the library? 4) Do later versions of the library carry the same bugs?

Depending on the answers this could be storm-in-a-teacup level up to almighty-clusterf**k-criminal-charges-deserved.

And yes. Being able to break the encryption of a message at will, which IIRC the German spooks are looking for, makes a mockery of "legally binding."

1. iron Silver badge

Re: " secure, confidential, and legally-binding transmission over untrusted networks "

1) This issue has nothing to do with Oracle the company or database, it is an attack against a crypto scheme from the "padding oracle" family of attacks.

4) Did you READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE? See below for the lines you missed:

"the problems are in the OSCI-Transport Library version 1.2"

"Germany's public agencies are warned not to use OSCI-Transport until they've upgraded to the latest version of the library."

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

Re: " secure, confidential, and legally-binding transmission over untrusted networks "

"This issue has nothing to do with Oracle the company or database, it is an attack against a crypto scheme"

Noted.

In which case it's much more serious that I at first thought. :-(

""the problems are in the OSCI-Transport Library version 1.2"

"Germany's public agencies are warned not to use OSCI-Transport until they've upgraded to the latest version of the library.""

3 problems with that.

This protocol has been around since 2004. No one knows if earlier versions have the same vulns

No one knows what the update process on those institutions is. If it's like the NHS some of them may still be running on library versions generations earlier.

The Updated version was released 2017-03-13, IE less than 4 months ago.

5. tony2heads

is this only in the Java version?

There are other implementations of the OSCI-Transport library (.NET and maybe others)

Are they vulnerable too?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: is this only in the Java version?

If the vulnerabilities are in the protocol specs, and not the implementation only, probably.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why am I not surprised?

Oh well, it's "Digitalisierung" at its best again...

For those unaware of the political agenda in Germany: according to the local bigwigs (both within and outside of overnment) Germany has one big challange to face. No, not what you'd think, it's not the looming failure of the export-driven economic model, nor the impending trade war with the USA, nor - heaven forbid - issues related to uncontrolled immigration and public security. NO, the one single REAL problem that Germany has to face is, of course, a blatantly insufficient degree of "digitalization". Go figure.

So "Digitalisierung" is the light, the truth and the way to go. Which, of course, does not mean developing local know-how or strengthening the local IT-industry. (Hey, what did you think?)

In practice, "Digitalisierung" means three things, in descending order of relevance:

1. Hot air. Lots of it. Not so much the sort of hot air that is emitted by data centres - mostly just idle chatter, expensive but pointless consulting, high output of assorted blue- and whitepapers and the occasional bombastic public annoucement of ever more "digital" bullshit.

2. Stuffing the public clouds run by Alphabet, Amazon or Facebook with data. Lots of it. Germany's national railway company just announced its determination to outsource its entire IT-department to Amazon. That's right, all of it. By 2022 no train is supposed to be able to run without the support of Amazon. Data is the raw oil of the 21st century, that's why we export it to the US and Ireland like crazy, probably to avoid future data pollution issues. Isn't that clever?

3. E-government everywhere. Or at least that's the plan. In reality no "e-government" project has ever taken off. Local residents tend to avoid everything labelled as such like the plague. I wonder why this might be... It is probably time to outsurce it all to GAFA, see above.

What can you say: "doubleplusgood"

PS: FWIW, "Chaos" is of neuter gender in German.

1. Allonymous Coward

Re: Why am I not surprised?

Wow. That sounds a lot like UK.gov's approach to "digital". I always assumed the German public sector had it together, relatively speaking. Disappointed if that's not the case.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why am I not surprised?

"I always assumed the German public sector had it together, relatively speaking"

There's a British tendency to assume that Germany's engineering thoroughness extends to all other aspects of German activity. Working for a German company, I can assure you that's not the case. German bureaucrats are as inept and self interested as anybody else's. German commercial business processes are generally as chaotic and ill-structured as those of any British company - German companies do tend to document the mess far better, but that then solidifies it and prevents local workarounds, as any user of SAP will know. German corporate strategy is impressively bad - in my own field there's a roll of dishonour of failed M&A that covers much of corporate Germany.

Note this isn't saying Germany is worse, simply that very large tracts of German life and economy are very similar to the things we bemoan in the UK.

7. WolfFan Silver badge

how does Germany keep getting into these messes? It's an enigma

And once again there is a problem for Germany involving a not-quite-as-secure-as-they-thought comms system. You'd think that they'd have learned from the last time, but no...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: how does Germany keep getting into these messes? It's an enigma

I guess we are adhering to "international" - or at least: "European" - standards wrt industrial policy, procurement procedures, lawmaking & stuff XD

Ok, maybe we sometimes do adhere more closely and thoroughly to said standards than is standard procedure elsewhere...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like