back to article Fancy fixing your own mobile devices? Just take the display off carefu...CRUNCH !£$%!

Out of 17 IT brands, Apple, Samsung and Microsoft have taken the crown for devices that are the hardest to repair or upgrade – and their displays are the fiddliest bits of all. It's all about the complex designs, adhesives and proprietary parts such as screws, Greenpeace discovered in a repairability survey (PDF) of 40 popular …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5 star apple screw driver

Just wanted to replace the battery in my Mac book air. In Vietnam so no truly approved apple shop. Found the exact battery part from China (40% of apple cost) and spent 4 hours trailing around markets in Hanoi before finding the 5 point screw driver to open the case..cost $1, and the fun of the chase. Screw you apple, for a geek to have to search electronic and micro tool markets for hours was a great Saturday morning.

1. roytrubshaw
      Pint

Re: 5 star apple screw driver

"Found the exact battery part from China (40% of apple cost) ..."

Have one of these (it is Friday after all) --->

Though you do need to take care with some of the replacement parts (even the branded Apple parts are probably from China, so it's not the nationality) as they may be poorer quality - possibly more prone to catch fire, or lesser capacity.

There is a difference between noname and branded replacements: I've repaired my wife's phone's screen with both types and the Nokia branded part doesn't cause the phone to freeze and require a reboot and didn't cost all that much more than the noname brand.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

In the battery kits on Ebay the special screwdrivers come supplied with the part.

This article is a lot of BS, at least up until the fingerprint sensor the Apple screen replacements were childs play. With a fingerprint snesor it's a bit tricker but easy enough after a bit of practice up to 6S.

Battery replacements also a 5 minute doddle up to 6S.

When the 7 arrived with its waterproofing things then got more complicated.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When the 7 arrived with its waterproofing things then got more complicated.

Well yes, but proper waterproofing takes effort. I have two watches, and to replace a battery costs a lot exactly because of the new seals and the pressurised case closing. There's also the jeweller's profit, but you either pay and keep it watertight or have a £5 battery replacement with the waterresistance removed.

There's also a question about guarantee. All manufacturers have to offer guarantee, so one way or the other they'll pay for complicated repair processes. As far as I can tell, the "wear and tear" parts of your average iPhone are actually easy (up until iPhone 7), which is why there is such a brisk trade in stolen iPhones: they're not sold for complete phones (because Apple has that reasonably locked down), they're sold for parts.

As I've said before, I'll lump Apple with the rest as soon as the rest also takes in old gear and thus voluntarily ends up with having to deal with the environmental issues. For the moment, it appears they consider the hardware landfill the moment you've bought it. You can't tell me that their manufacturing doesn't take that into account - AFAIK, that's the exact reason they stopped using screws in the first place (easier to automate later disassembly).

2. tony72

It's the way things are going

It's a shame how fast this seems to be becoming the norm. I fixed many of my own phones over the years, up to my Nexus 5, which needed the screen and back replaced at different times due to drop damage. My current Pixel will be the first phone that I'd need to deal with heating up adhesive to get the screen off, and having had a bad experience doing that with my Lenovo ultrabook (it's amazing how fast thin plastic parts can melt under a standard heat gun, even on the lowest setting, if you're not paying attention), I'd be a bit scared of that process.

But the fact is that repairability is not likely to be a key consideration in most people's buying choices, since repairing the phone is something you probably hope never to have to do, and most people will probably upgrade before the battery dies, so it's going to come way down the list of considerations when choosing a phone. So with little incentive for manufacturers to worry about it much, I suspect they'll do whatever suits them best, and if that means potting the whole innards in resin and making it 100% non-repairable, that's what they'll do.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: It's the way things are going

Time perhaps for a mandatory 5 year warranty including battery replacement at advertised rate/costs given with the initial sales price?

That would focus them and the buyers on the benefits of not selling easily broken shit and being able to fix stuff instead of throwing it away and getting a new device with even more data slurping built it.

1. Bob Rocket

'Time perhaps for a mandatory 5 year warranty...'

Just because you might want to have a stab at fixing an out of date bit of kit the rest of us will be forced to pay extra (that mandatory warranty isn't free and the consumer will pay).

Why don't you choose to buy some insurance for when your device breaks then you can get it professionally repaired and let me be free to choose not to.

I will save my money and when mine breaks I will just send it for recycling and spend that saved money on the latest model (or something else entirely).

1. Rob Daglish

Re: It's the way things are going @Bob Rocket

Sorry Bob, the problem _is_ that things aren't designed to be fixed. I attended a course to be certified in repairing a certain brand of printer so I could undertake warranty repairs for the manufacturer. Their rep told us when stripping down a high volume laser printer "don't worry if you snap some of those plastic clips, I rarely manage not to". Now, if their own staff are snapping bits, it suggests someone hasn't thought how these machines are going to get repaired...

2. L05ER
          Thumb Down

'buy some insurance for when your device breaks then you can get it professionally repaired'

those professional insurance companies, the handful of them... are a HUGE ripoff. everybody i know has had a bad experience with them, from unreadable replacement screens and refurbs with dead batteries to shoddy reassembly...

i'll never use them again, but i'll also never spend insane money on a flagship phone again either.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Time perhaps for a mandatory 5 year warranty including battery replacement at advertised rate/costs given with the initial sales price?

In UK the mandatory/Statutory Warranty is already 6 years if you buy direct from Apple (it's still 6 years by law [CRA 2015] if you buy elsewhere but Apple will point you at the retailer as the legal onus is on seller not manufacturer).

Apple's battery replacement cost is £79 (although it's free for 2 years) .

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. dajames

Time perhaps for a mandatory 5 year warranty including battery replacement at advertised rate/costs given with the initial sales price?

I'd support that -- especially if it included mandatory software upgrade support for five years.

I'd also support a lower rate -- possibly 0% -- of VAT for spare parts and repairs (including service charges) than for new goods, to try to break the "it's bust, I'll replace it" attitude that seems to be becoming the norm.

2. Hans 1
      Happy

I for one boycott Apple MacBooks because they have soldered RAM/SSD, I have also informed all my acquaintances ... we need to make sure we get the message across. They will learn, eventually ...

3. paulf
    Coat

Professionals

Microsoft told us: "As is the case with many products, Surface is built by professionals and is intended to be serviced by professionals."

Aw, schucks. That means if I want to repair my Surface I'd have to give up my Amateur status and lose my chance to compete in the Surface repairing Olympics?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Professionals

"That means if I want to repair my Surface I'd have to give up my Amateur status and lose my chance to compete in the Surface repairing Olympics?"

I wouldn't worry, professionals appear to have been allowed in the Olympics for quite a while now; without thinking of any upcoming major professional sporting events in particular, how about Andy Murray and Chris Froome?

And if some people believe bridge is a sport, then perhaps competitive laptop repairing has a chance of being an Olympic sport? Saying that, laptop repairing would quickly degenerate into a competition to build the best lightweight carbon fibre or titanium spudging tools. I'd rather watch competitive network cable untangling myself...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm in two minds.....

On one hand laptop prices are quite high, so fits the criteria of needing huge amount of cash to compete.

But on the other had, we dump our obsolete kit on same poor people, so they will be quite good it.

I'll have a think about it later, got to get down the Yacht club to meet the old boys before a spot of dressage tomorrow.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

I believe iFixit said the latest Surface Pro was impossible to open because it was held together with glue.

So I guess MS just replace and don't bother repairing.

1. jmarked

Yeah, seems way better to replace than to repair.

2. Updraft102

The Surface Laptop is spot welded together, they say, and is the first product to earn a 0/10 rating from iFixit... completely unrepairable.

Dell XPS 13, though, gets a respectable 7 of 10. I know which I would consider and which I would not...

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Natural result of IP certifications.

Early on I changed the batteries and did repairs on the devices in the house myself. That was quite easy on Sony early on. Samsung was more difficult, but possible as well. I do not even try now. It is worth it to wait until the next holiday and use a market stall somewhere in deepest, darkest Eastern Europe. They do not repair them themselves, but send them off to someone who does it for a living. 20£ worth of labor will get you a screen change on most devices (just make sure you wipe the device securely after that just in case).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Green lobby failure

Time the environmentalists got to cracking down on this - we're constantly being threatened with shortages of rare elements, lectured about plastic and metal going into oceans etc. If it can't be broken down easily into reusable or repairable parts, it should have a 100% green tax surcharge.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Re: Green lobby failure

Dear AC, f...you very much!

Why the hell should I be charged more?

1. James 51
        Childcatcher

To pay the true cost of the device over its entire life cycle.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

To pay the true cost of the device over its entire life cycle.

I'm sorry, I was talking about the 100% green tax. Correct me if I am wrong, but where I live the tax goes to to government not the company So how taxing me more is going to pay for the tue cost of the device?

And what's this 'true cost' of the device? Let's take a phone, for example. Are you implying that the price I pay for it in the store (unlocked and without a contract) is not the true cost? Do I have to add the price of the SIM, the price of electricity for charging it? The SD card I buy to expand the crappy storage?

Oh, wait, you're saying all the manufacturers are selling devices below the true cost?

1. James 51
            Childcatcher

Of course the price you pay when you buy it is not the true cost but this is what I mean by that. The full cost of any device should include dealing with environmental damaged causing during its creation and disposing of it when it has reached the end of its useful life (or when people decide to chuck it in the bin and buy the new shiny). There are lots of costs you can associate with a device but as manufactures don't bear the cost of dealing with them, they aren't included in the price you pay when you buy. Cleaning up the pollution released in the mining and refining the materials needed to make the phone. The environmental damage done directly by the mining (particularly if it is open cast) and the human cost were safety standards are very low. Then there is the pollution released in creating the components and manufacturing the device. Then when it is time to be disposed of, there is dealing with any number of toxic materials embedded in a device that has been designed to be difficult to dismantle and repair to encourage people to buy the new shiny rather than repair it when something goes wrong. All this could be applied to TVs as well. I could go on but you get the idea.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

I'm sure future generations will say the same thing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They can be broken down fairly easy (despite what it says). A hammer is quite effective.

It can't be repaired easily.

Not the same.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Currently supply of Rare Earth Elements is outstripping demand. This will carry on for about another 10 years then as demand overtakes supply the cost will start to rise and there will be an incentive for mining companies to locate new sources of supply.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Please note: repairability is not necessarily the same as recyclability, and these days often isn't.

Plastic and metal parts can be shredded together before separation. The harmful and or costly stuff is in the screen and motherboard.

Glued parts can be more economically separated for recycling than screwed parts, because unscrewing is labour intensive and ungluing just requires an oven.

Gluing is also used to reduce thickness, and to make things more reliable (stresses are spread across a part rather than focused on stress-rising bosses). It's likely that the flexible nature of glue is factored into to the shock resistance of the end product.

If Greenpeace* are trying to do a total environmental cost analysis, then they need to factor in how reliable a product is, how long it remain useful for, and how long a user will want to own it (i.e how pleasant it is to use and own). Repairability is only a factor after it has been multiplied by the fraction of people who would actually repair it, multiplied by the chance of it actually going wrong, multiplied by this failure not occuring within the warranty period. So, that's a small number, multiplied by a fraction multiplied by a fraction multiplied by a fraction.

*remember this is the group who protested against a GM crop trial in Australia by setting fire to it, thus dispersing the GM material over a wide area. Still, being an activist impresses some young women, so what the hell.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

"*remember this is the group who protested against a GM crop trial in Australia by setting fire to it,...."

About as bright as animal rights activists that freed Mink from farms in the UK.

2. gryff
          Pint

-->"Gluing is also used to reduce thickness, and to make things more reliable.."

Yes, true. My R&D teams often wanted glue when I needed "repairability".

You can keep "repairability" by not gluing the entire area (use cut outs in your gluing foil: make it look like a window frame not a sheet of glass) and also by using different gluing strengths on each side of the foil, so that it is possible to remove a component without further breakage // the need to clean off too much residue.

--> " Repairability is only a factor after it has been multiplied by the fraction of people who would actually repair it, multiplied by the chance of it actually going wrong, multiplied by this failure not occuring within the warranty period. "

If the cost of repair is lower than new and the component to be repaired is expensive.. you fail Design for Serviceability, increase warranty costs and repair time.... for example, if the only way to repair a €1 audio part is to destroy the glued €5 display at the same time :o(

Pre-ramp up you have no idea what will fail en-masse, and once you introduce new suppliers as part of your cost erosion plan ...and they in turn fiddle with their production to lower their costs....all bets are off.

Design for Serviceablity and Reliability because reality often bites you in the a*se post ramp-up.

2. Bob Rocket

'Currently supply of Rare Earth Elements...'

Is that you TW ? (if so I claim my 5 shillings)

3. Hans 1

Currently supply of Rare Earth Elements is outstripping demand. This will carry on for about another 10 years then as demand overtakes supply the cost will start to rise and there will be an incentive for mining companies to locate new sources of supply.

Go talk to fisherman at Cape Cod ... look at the mines in Africa, the guyz in the pits are treated like slaves.

Where does the ewaste go ?

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/news/features/e-waste-toxic-not-in-our-backyard210208/

Most of it gets sold as second hand electronics (in working condition) to Senegal, where they burn the stuff to get the metals ...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-senegal-environment-landrights-idUSKBN13I1KV

You have to be pretty f'ed up not to realize this is bad, right ? You do not pay the real price for your devices, the third world pays the rest with their health ...

Call me commy, freetard, tree hugger ... I don't care, this is not right.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If it can't be broken down easily into reusable or repairable parts, it should have a 100% green tax surcharge.

The bulk recycling of electronic devices involves shredding the device, and then magnetically, mechanically and possibly chemically separating into various waste streams that can be reused in other processes. The method of assembly is irrelevant, because for real recycling (as opposed to repair or component salvage) the process is fast, industrial scale, and efficient, there's no messing around with screwdrivers.

What Greenpeace are complaining about is not (or should not be) the ease of recycling which isn't affected much by the assembly method, but about artificially shortened lifetimes because the device is difficult to repair. Whilst I keep phones for longer than average, and would like them to be repairable, most people don't and to be honest, they've got good grounds for that: Consumers want frequent device refreshes anyway, old devices go out of software support very quickly, once more than a few years old built in NAND storage often starts to get a bit flakey, the processing power and capability of older devices struggle with newer OS releases even if they exist, and the cosmetic appearance is often poor. as paint rubs off bezzles, display coatings wear off.

Even if you could repair them when the original owner has finished with it, what would you do with all that obsolete, unsupported technology? There's some talk of sending it to poor countries - personally I think those countries would be better off with a new device made cheaply in China. And the idea of giving rich country cast-offs to the developing world smacks of technological colonialism.

Seems to me Greenpeace are pushing water uphill on this.

5. SkippyBing

'we're constantly being threatened with shortages of rare elements'

Only be people who don't understand what a provable reserve is, why mining companies have to state their assets in terms of said reserves, and why no one bothers listing rare earth elements in said assets. There's an article somewhere on this very website about it by one Tim Worstall.

6. Toc-H-Lamp

Cutting edge Technologies

That explains all those Sharp edges then.

7. James 51

If there was a fairphone 3 coming out or someone took advantage of the fairphone 2's modular construction to put a more powerful CPU in then I'd probably head over to the co op website and get one. As it is, after about four years my Q10 struggles with some websites as they are so media heavy. Don't want to end up with hardware that's fine but unusable because of software stuff (my playbook being a case in point).

1. deive

Bought my misses a fairphone 2 a while ago, it is still passable but it was mid range when released - I so want them to bring out a new revision too!

Had to replace a faulty mic unit on it and they sent the replacement out quick on warranty and it was so easy to replace.

8. bluesxman

"Surface [...] is intended to be serviced by professionals"

Exactly how professional does one need to be to repair the certified unrepairable?

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Laptop+Teardown/92915

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: "Surface [...] is intended to be serviced by professionals"

And how professional do you need to be to be able to effect a repair of a Surface when MS are effectively listed one of the vendors listed as not providing all spare parts or instructions for repair?

I suspect if your Surface is within warranty the 'professional' will simply return it to MS who will simply bin it and take a brand new one off the shelf and send that to the 'professional'...

What do you mean you had stuff on the HDD which hadn't been replicated to the cloud...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

To paraphrase the BBC: Other off-machine strategies are available.

2. Hans 1
      Holmes

Hello ? Nobody trusts Microsoft around here, last time I checked, that is ... I have been crying out loud on here since around 2003 never to trust MS, with Windows 10, now, everybody has seen the light.

Sincerely,

Hans 1

Microsoft MHP

Adobe MHP

Accenture MHP

9. Roq D. Kasba

LG G4

I was ever so wary of opening this beautiful former flagship device - curved screen, high performance camera, etc., but I needed to polish out a lens. I got up courage after seeing a YT vid - my god it's the easiest to open/fix device I've seen. Not even silly screws or warranty-void stickers on screwheads, just in, unclip motherboard and peripherals, and you're done. First time I was in in 10 minutes, second time mere seconds. It has convinced me to go LG from hereon in, and there's no indestructible OEM software preloaded either - delete what you don't want.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: LG G4

Similarly, swapping the battery in an LG-built Nexus 5 is a breeze. The battery was a tenner, and a bag of weird screwdrivers and 'spudgers' bought for a couple of quid was not required - the job can be done with a Phillips screwdriver in my Victorinox keyring and my thumbnails.

10. Rabbit80

Warranty

It's great that manufacturers stand behind their warranties however many items are designed to fail not long after that warranty expires. Case in point - I just repaired a switch.. was 2 months past its warranty when it failed. The cause - 10v Capacitors failed on a 12v circuit on the PSU board!

Similar thing about 10 years ago with a Toshiba surround system at home.. caps failed within 2 months of the end of warranty, fitted higher voltage ones and its still going strong to this day!

With Phones, tablets and laptops, the batteries are the most obvious point of failure and will lose quite a lot of capacity with a charge a day over 2-3 years - if they don't fail fully that is/

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Warranty

Japanese or Korean capacitors? African or European swallows?

1. Rabbit80

Re: Warranty

As it happens, Japanese capacitors in the switch (Rubycon)

2. PhilipN Silver badge

African or European

UV'ed. Seems all the other punters are too sozzled to have noticed the Holy Grail nod. I fart in their general direction

11. cs94njw

Went to Apple Genius Bar yesterday. Said, effectively, that my gf's iPhone 5s days were numbered, and that most mobiles will probably only last 2 years. Although he added that's mostly due to phone contracts these days.

He also tried to explain why the EU's 2 year warranty didn't apply to Apple stuff.

The only thing he said which sounded remotely true, was that the screen on the iPad (iPad 2) wasn't easily fixable because of the need to keep it thin and light. If it was made to be repairable, the iPad would be thicker. Which at least sounds reasonable.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Then you should take it straight to Johnny Ive and tell him that you didn't want a thin iPhone, he did, so he should be made to fix it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

"He also tried to explain why the EU's 2 year warranty didn't apply to Apple stuff."

Then point the bearded "Genius" here:

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

And say he is correct, the two year EU one does not apply, but the UK SIX year one does.

1. Gordon Lawrie

Not to be pedantic but...

There is no such thing as a statutory EU 2 year minimum warranty. There is also no such thing as a statutory UK 6 year warranty, (or statutory 5 year warranty in Scotland.) These don't exist and haven't ever existed. Ever. Promise.

Directive 1999/44/EC where this myth originates says that where a country limits the length of time the seller of consumer goods is liable for lack of conformity with the contract, that period of liability where the seller can be pursued must be at least two years. That is not the same as saying there must be at least a 2 year warranty. Article 2 of the directive spells out what conformity means but essentially it means that the goods must be accurately described and fit for purpose. Article 3 then gives the consumer rights against the seller where goods do not conform at the point of delivery and Article 4 gives the seller rights against the next guy in the supply chain all the way to the original producer of the goods.

This is all a directive though, an instruction to E.U. member states to make sure that their consumer laws comply with this as a minimum standard. If a member state doesn't bother to comply Joe Citizen can't go to court citing the directive, there needs to be national legislation incorporating these minimum standards in law.

The UK has the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which exceeds the requirements of the directive, but it still doesn't magically create a 2, 5 or 6 year warranty for all consumer goods.

What the Consumer Rights Act 2015 DOES say is that goods must of satisfactory quality, fit for a particular purpose and as described. Fitness for purpose does incorporate factors such as durability. Specifically the reasonableness test is used, goods must meet the standard a reasonable person would consider satisfactory taking into account elements such as price. Realistically that means that a retailer is going to have a hard time claiming that a £1000 iPhone which develops an antenna fault after 13, 19 or even 26 months is of satisfactory quality regardless of what any warranty may or may not say. You may have to litigate to argue that point if the seller is intransigent though.

As for the 6 years, (5 in Scotland,) those are simply the times after which contract claims become time-barred under the Limitation Act 1980 or the Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973. They don't mean you get a warranty for that period. Frankly if you bowled up in court and tried to claim a £50 generic phone didn't conform to contract because it conked out after 4 years the judge would be likely to give you an earful and send you on your way. A £7.5K Vertu phone with the same issue at the same time on the other hand may be a very different matter.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

RE: iPhone 5S

Tesco were flogging them on a 2yr contract a few months ago. I had to stop and read the sign twice as I didn't believe it. A 3 or is it 4 yr old phone. At least it will run iOS 11 and updates but beyond that??? who knows eh

The Apple boys wanted you to buy an new shiny (unless it is matt black) iPhone 7 whatever. However there are plentiful supplies of iPhone 6's and 6S's at your local Pawn shop. Far cheaper than Apple's gouging.

12. wolfetone Silver badge

We could just buy older tech that is easily repairable?

Wouldn't that be easier?

Guys? Guys it's lonely here!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

If you are reusing, cannibalising and repairing old gear, you're not buying new gear.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Edit: I do use older audio gear. Very good speakers (1980s Wharfedale etc) can be had for absolute peanuts from charity shops and local newspaper classified ads, and will sound very good. Amplifiers similarly, or use a new inexpensive yet good Tripath Class D amp if you don't need to shake the room. Add a 15 quid Chromecast dongle to bring some 21st century convenience to the set up.

1. djstardust

Yes

I have Wharfedale satellite sub systems from the early 90s and Wharfedale still have the cones in stock. Coupled with JVC or Technics amps from 1989 / 1990 and it's the best sound system ever.

Far better than that expensive Sonos pish.

2. Robert Moore

Older audio equipment

A couple of years ago I set myself the task of building a killer component stereo from charity shops. With no single component purchased to cost over $20 CAD. +TAX (Just to make it a little more challenging.)

It took a couple of months, and a lot of self control regarding the price, but I achieved what I set out to do, and the results are amazing. The sound quality is so far beyond what I had come to expect from years of headphones, and earbuds, that I was literally stunned by the difference.

The only downside, is my dog runs and hides every time I go near the stereo. :)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Older audio equipment

> The only downside, is my dog runs and hides every time I go near the stereo. :)

Everybody is a music critic

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Older audio equipment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses old audio tech.

I bought a National Panasonic music centre (the ones with the turntable, tape deck and radio) and it came with some 1980's spec Amstrad speakers. The guy selling it said it comes on, the tape player moves, the turntable moves, but theres no sound. It cost me 99p.

A bit of a fiddle and an hour later, it was working. Sounded a bit funny, but I plugged it in to an Arcam amp from 1984 that I was given for free and a set of Mordant Short speakers, and bloody hell! It sounds awesome.

13. Nick Kew

Scope of the study?

Anyone tried to open a kindle? Not a happy memory.

I guess those weren't included in the study?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Scope of the study?

No, but it can't have been messier than dismantling the Etcha Sketch that it resembles!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to ifixit

Repairability score of the last three generations of iPhone is 7, and the ones before that (except the first gen) were a 6. Only one phone made in the last five years scored higher than an 8 - and Samsung, who was responsible for most of those 8s four to six years ago, went down to 3s and 4s with their last three year's worth of phones!

Other than the special screwdrivers, which are generally included when you buy e.g. replacement batteries or screens, iPhones are simple to fix. Their recent tablets and laptops on the other hand, are down at the bottom of the repairability list. I've never tried to take apart an iPad, but you'd think it would be a 'big iPhone' and assembled/disassembled in a similar manner. Guess not!

I bought a new laptop last fall (HP 17t) and swapped out the hard drive it came with with an SSD. Had to take the whole thing apart, and it was hard enough I had to go to the web for instructions and it still took a half hour! The days of having access covers on the bottom held by a couple of eyeglass screws for the hard drive and RAM are past, I guess.

15. Gene Cash Silver badge

"Right to repair"

Well, if you'd get off your butts and fight for a right to repair your objects, like we're trying to do on this side of the pond, you'd be in a much better position to complain. At least we've got Apple nervous enough to spend serious money trying to counter it.

However, I haven't had a device since the Palm III that was easy to repair. It kind of comes with the form factor and low-cost mass assembly.

16. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

I can understand

making the device out of glue, impossible screws and general borking any attempt to change the screen/mb/case....... but why the need to glue the battery in and make that impossible to swap out too?

I mean the battery is the first component thats going to wear out (assuming you dont drop the thing)

And its full of ikky chemicals too..............

Or is it a scam designed to force us to buy the latest shiny when an easily replacable part goes titsup

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: I can understand

See above comments.

17. PhilipN Silver badge

Boring

So don't buy a thousand dollar phone.

Buy a knock-off and throw it away after a few months

18. joed

"As is the case with many products, Surface is built by professionals and is intended to be serviced by professionals." - what a load of BS. This device is for true MS fanboys and/or corporate suits that like to look smug but can't stomach Apple kit. And if the Surface won't power on, MS' response is that user should had used OneDrive for all data. I'd never buy one with my own money or use it to store critical but confidential data. The drive can eventually be pulled out but not without utter destruction of the kit. Overpriced, stupid device with flappy keyboard.

19. Richard Parkin

Apple warranty page

It's already been quoted above, but it bears repeating since Apple's warranty page is one of the simplest and clearest:

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Personally I've bought 2 iPhones and 4 iPads all either used or refurbished and all are in the family and still working and with OK batteries.

20. bed

Hmm...

If the youtube video of someone else repairing the same tablet/phone as you have looks too complicated, it probably is. However, if it looks doable, with the appropriate tools it might be. The USB port on my phone needs replacing (it charges OK, but the data pins are probably bent) but access requires an almost complete dismantle. The same problem on a Samsung tablet was, in comparison, an easy fix. Replacing the screen on a Dell laptop involved an almost complete dismantle (hinges buried inside and various ribbon cables need detaching) an HP laptop was a quick fix. Eventually, when we get used to not having headphone or USB sockets (bluetooth, wireless charging, data synced with cloud), I dare say the devices will become completely sealed and disposal will be the only option.

21. Conundrum1885

Re. stubborn phones

Changed USB port on an S3 Neo, though it charges the data pins do not work.

One thing I would like to see is genuine batteries available for older devices as these are getting hard if not impossible to find.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like