back to article UK.gov leaves data dashboard users' details on publicly accessible site

Users of the UK government’s data dashboard have been asked to change their passwords after their information was made public. According to an email seen by The Register, a file containing the names, emails and hashed passwords for the data.gov.uk site was left on a third-party system. “A recent routine security review …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The Cabinet Office did not respond immediately to a request for comment."

Probably still trying to find someone who understands the question.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or understands email.

2. m0rt

I got the email.

Fortunately, it is a burnable email address. Because, you know, Government.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Nothing here, and I've used data.gov.uk since it launched. Work email so not disposable.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only one day to pony up the data.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another reason for a password manager

(of your choosing)

- unique gibberish passwords across *all* your sites.

Currently >400 for me.

(Also keeps track of when you last changed, and prompts to change)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another reason for a password manager

Until the password manager is compromised of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Until the password manager is compromised of course.

Depends on the "compromise". Obviously if the database is lifted unencrypted in it's entirety: yes.

Otherwise it's just more work for anyone to break. And unless you are the victim of a very specific attack, hackers will just move on to the next account with re-used passwords.

5. Blitheringeejit
    WTF?

Anyone know which gov sites are affected?

Scuse ignorance but I'm endlessly confused by the plethora of different logins, current and historical, that I have for various HMG services. Is the "Dashboard" to which this refers connected in any way with the HMRC logins for company services, or the Land Registry site, or indeed the DVLA site? Or is it a separate, new thing that I haven't yet been forced to subscribe to?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just me that is clueless?

I have no idea if I signed up to this site or not. At one point in about 2013 or 2014 I signed up for some government site after receiving details in a letter and on a little credit card sized piece of paper.

The reason for using it escapes me now but at the time it seemed like a central login for all government services but I may be wrong. I have no idea if it was connected to this site or not, yet alone what email address I used.

The other issue is so many gov IT projects get shelved, I don't know if it's still valid or not.

Any clues as to how this government data stuff works? Need sleep....

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Actually this sounds like an improvement over the usual UKG clusterf**k

Of course that's not really saying much....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Trust Us. Your data is safe. We use... oh, oops!"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“There is no evidence of misuse of anyone’s credentials,"

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

That is a slimy statement, I don't trust it.

1. lglethal Silver badge

Re: “There is no evidence of misuse of anyone’s credentials,"

That is a Government statement, I don't trust it.

There fixed that for you...

10. davenewman

Example of exceeding open data requirements

data.gov.uk is the place to go to get open data. It looks like they opened up their data on their users and made that freely available as well. It works in Estonia, where if anyone in government looks at your data, you get notified of who did and why.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Example of exceeding open data requirements

"It works in Estonia, where if anyone in government looks at your data, you get notified of who did and why."

How do you know? Just because they told you that?

11. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

False economy

Well done UK Gov for putting my tax money to such great use. So all the money you saved with going with a cheap consultancy you've now spunked up the wall on fixing the fallout from this insecure shite.

We're the all mighty cut-price, cockup artists "Crapita" involved by any chance?

12. AlanS
    Holmes

I've just looked at this site (by its contents I'm unlikely to have registered) and the home screen says it's in still in beta! After more than two years! I used to work on CAD software and a beta that long would either be a pile of doodoo not fit for public display, or a cancelled project accidentally left on the system.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the home screen says it's in still in beta! After more than two years! "

Thanks, so we know it's run by Google then.

2. F0rdPrefect
      FAIL

Its a beta

as are many .gov sites

I did my VAT return yesterday and that now says it is a beta.

I think it is a cover, so that when things go wrong they can say "Well it is only a beta."

13. adam payne

"GDS added that it "immediately took steps to remove this data from the public domain"."

Yes you took it down when someone pointed it out but how long has it been there and why was it there?

“There is no evidence of misuse of anyone’s credentials," the email said. "Resetting your password is purely a precautionary measure.”

Lack of evidence doesn't mean someone hasn't swiped the data.

14. Rich 11

Well, that didn't take long...

And absolutely no-one saw this coming.

Next time some authoritarian crackpot insists we must have ID cards for our own safety, we can point to yet another example of our data not being safe in their hands.

1. Hans 1
      FAIL

Re: Well, that didn't take long...

Actually, ID cards are quite practical, I mean, shirley you have a passport, right ? Well, ID cards can be credit card sized ... unlike your bulky passport ...

The gripe I have with French ID cards, they want your fingerprints ...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Well, that didn't take long...

"Next time some authoritarian crackpot insists we must have ID cards for our own safety, we can point to yet another example of our data not being safe in their hands."

No problem. Lessons will have been learned. No, no problem at all.

15. Hans 1
    Mushroom

On or before 20 June 2015 ... hm, may I ask, how long has this data been on that 3rd party site ? It must have been swiped on 20 or 21 June of that year ...

16. gnasher729 Silver badge

I remember having to change my password for HMRC. Because they changed their password rules and a Safari generated password looking like ABC-DEF-123-456-XYZ is not acceptable anymore. They always wanted two digits so you had to generate a few passwords until it accepted one, but now it doesn't like the "-" characters anymore. They also changed the rules for existing passwords, so I couldn't log in with my password anymore, requiring a reset.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Boffin

Once again, we need a standard ...

for an industry which prides itself on a selection of standards to fit the bill (literally) the continuing lack of a simple RFC on password construction baffles me.

We have one for valid email addresses (which I had to read twice to discover that "'" [apostrophe] *is* a valid character. Despite a lot of home-brewed code thinking it isn't).

So why not one for password ? Ideally permitted characters, minimum/maximum length, plus basic entropy rules.

That said, having done my share of working on RFCs in the 80s, I can understand the lack of enthusiasm.

17. Guus Leeuw

Computer Misuse Act, anybody?

Dear Sir,

is the perpetrator known? Can that person be prosecuted, please?

Or is this ordeal going into the great Nirvana? And will it be forgotten about?

Regards,

Guus

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon