back to article Did you know? Today is International Asteroid Day! Wouldn't it be amazing if one were to...

Space scientists and enthusiasts are today celebrating International Asteroid Day – with events in 190 countries and a 24-hour telethon with boffins from NASA, ESA, and JAXA plus assorted celebrities. The date, Friday, June 30, is no accident. It was picked to commemorate the largest meteorite explosion ever recorded in human …

1. Hans 1
    Boffin

El Reg ?

Despite a rash of scientifically inaccurate movies like Armageddon and Deep Impact, mankind has no way of stopping an approaching asteroid even if we spotted it in time.

I could explain why this is a load of bollocks, but, I am just a commentard, so let me introduce Neil deGrasse Tyson:

https://youtu.be/c3fxdEmfyOQ?t=24m57s

Besides, since the USian administartions are so full of shit, the Russians have offered to help you ensure it misses us ... ;-)

https://youtu.be/xaW4Ol3_M1o

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: El Reg ?

I'm unconvinced we could get enough fuel up there to make a trajectory correction, even if there were 20y warnings. There are now too many Wars On Stuff to fight.

1. BillG
        Mushroom

Oh, 'come on, it's easy to deflect an asteroid! You and Miramani just run into the woods, find the temple obelisk, play the correct tones, then program the ancient computer to deflect the asteroid.

I AM KIR-RAK!!!

2. annodomini2
      Coat

Oh I don't know, if they started a 'War on Asteroids' I'm sure someone would find the money down the back of the sofa.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Killing the dinosaurs

Maybe if the dinosaurs were still around humans would be even better. We'd have to have superior survival skills to have dealt with them and made them into endangered species by now.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: Killing the dinosaurs

The Day the Dinosaurs Died:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08r3xhf

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Killing the dinosaurs

Just think how much more fun the Roman empire would have been with dinosaur cavalry?

Or Hannibal crossing the Alps with T Rexes, then capturing Rome and saying, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Sorry, but it is Friday...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: the Roman empire [...] with dinosaur cavalry?

"No, *I'm* Stegasaurus!"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome job title

"Planetary Defense Officer".

It's OK. I've got this, ma'am.

1. Chris G

Re: Awesome job title

Exactly my thought! The job should come with a personal X wing in the launch bay, armed with Asteroid killer beam weapons.

Re: Awesome job title

I hope the uniform is stylish.

Also, all photoshoots must be done from floor level looking up at the chin.

4. Alister

Brian Cox, Brian May, Peter Gabriel and Chris Hadfield.

Definitely the potential for an awesome band here, is "The Astroboffins" a good name?

1. sitta_europea Silver badge

"Definitely the potential for an awesome band here ..."

You mean, as opposed to any useful science education?

Are these people are aboard for massively increasing our nuclear power usage?

Because you ain't gonna meet the asteroid with "renewable energy" sources.

1. Nolveys

@Destroy All Monsters

Because you ain't gonna meet the asteroid with "renewable energy" sources.

You could probably figure out a global system using batteries and solar to crank out Slayer at volume eleven for "long enough".

5. Cuddles

Meteor

"Back then a suspected meteorite detonated over the Russian taiga"

It's only a meteorite if it hits the ground. Exploding in the air makes it a meteor.

1. LesC
      Mushroom

Re: Meteor

.... or a bolide / fireball?

Wouldn't Interstellar or Interplanetry Asteroid Day have been a better title???

Also wouldn't evolution have taken a completely different route as the dinosaurs could have achieved intelligence (fire, wheel, what have you) after all you could achieve interplanetry space travel with dinosaurs in Simearth.

Nuke as one of these large lumps of rock has the power of lots of them.

1. Tom Paine

Remembering dinosaurs were around for, what,.. of the order of 150x longer than humans have, so far....

An occasionally enjoyable gedanken experimenting / daydream / way to get off to sleep is to ask yourself : posit a dino species that developed intelligence and something enough like opposable thumbs to give it human-like ability to manipulate the environment, make tools, etc. Give it a lifetime of 100,000 years (~10x human recorded history) and that it died out in a non-catastrophic way - ecological change causing a drying up of it's preferred food supply, say f'rinstance.

What traces of that would we expect to find in the geological record?

(Yes, this is really just a variant on the "Earth after humans" gedanken... sadly the only way to know will be to run the experiment and then let the aliens / successor intelligent species figure it out in 20m years. I suspect the seabed would be the place to look; uniquitous isotopes and ... layers of carbon... plastics.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

... and a layer of shoes?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like