back to article Inmarsat flings latest Wi-Fi-on-airliners satellite into orbit

Inmarsat has successfully launched its latest satellite, which will form part of the grandiosely named European Aviation Network for putting faster Wi-Fi aboard airliners. The 5.7 tonne Hellas Sat 3-Inmarsat S EAN bird was launched into orbit by French firm Arianespace from French Guiana, aboard an Ariane 5 rocket, at 2215 BST …

1. CraPo

Just not on anything bigger than a mobile phone

when travelling to the US (soon the world).

2. GBE

No difference -- except for the huge latency...

"Within the aircraft, passengers connect to the in-flight Wi-Fi, having coughed up the appropriate price first, and – in theory – see no difference between satellite and ground connectivity."

See no difference? Adding 250ms to the latency is certnaly something you can see.

3. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

Is it not

Grandiosely childish to write "the grandiosely named European Aviation Network".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope

But it is grandiosely childish to whine about it. Lars.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge

I hear the cross-feed to the nearest MILSAT is working perfectly for uninterrupted surveillance opportunities.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Why bother with an expensive satellite when you can just intercept it on the ground as it leaves the satellite downlink station?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

13 hour flight to Tokyo last week

Man sitting next to me paid the $19 dollars for "wifi for the whole flight". It worked for him - very slowly - for all of 90 minutes. When he complained, the stewardess told him, "oh, that never seems to work over the ocean". Funny that they don't mention that before taking your money.

1. Nick Kew

Re: 13 hour flight to Tokyo last week

So your airline needs to use another satellite to provide coverage over the relevant ocean. Today's news, for what it's worth, is that they've just launched another satellite.

Can't see myself being a user. Though I could envisage subscribing to satellite service from home if I find myself living somewhere without terrestrial broadband.

2. jmarked

What a poor guy!

Hope Inmarsat will provide wider range soon.

3. paulf
      Headmaster

@Andy Prough "Man sitting next to me paid the $19 dollars for "wifi for the whole flight""

Sounds like they did what they promised and provided a Wifi connection for the whole flight. What they didn't mention was the WiFi AP would only have internet backhaul for part of the flight. If he'd read the T+Cs in full he would have found this explained clearly on page 263.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish Emirates Air flew in the US

Other than Southwest who is passably decent if spartan, the remaining carriers in the US are horror show of terrible comfort and worse service, all for a high price!

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Re: I wish Emirates Air flew in the US

I think there's a guy call Trump who wouldn't be in favour of that - Muslims and all that. Pretty certain if you get rid of him, they'd come over.

7. Christoph

"HELLO, I'M ON THE PLANE!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like