back to article UK regulator probes PwC over BT's Italian accountancy scandal

The UK's Financial Reporting Council (FRC) is to investigate PwC's audits of BT, following an accountancy scandal at the telecom firm's Italian unit. The accountancy regulator will probe PwC's consolidated financial statements of BT Group for the years ended 31 March 2015 to 2017, in the wake of the scandal which forced a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

PwC and dodgy accounting probes....

...nope new one on me.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Auditors supposed to catch frauds? Who knew that?

1. Steve K

An auditor's role is NOT to spot fraud.

An auditor's role is NOT to specifically spot fraud but they might find it in the course of their work.

Their role is to give an opinion on whether the financial statements give a "true and fair" view (I.e. Not materially mis-stated) and comply with the relevant reporting standards (e.g. IFRS).

If fraud is perpetrated by senior management in collusion then they are unlikely to find it in the course of their audit work, and their opinion may therefore be proved incorrect subsequently.

That does not mean that an auditor cannot give an incorrect opinion through incompetence, but they can be taken in by fraud too.

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

This isn't fu**king playschool...

"The FRC’s annual reviews of our audit work, policies and procedures show a continued trend of improvement in our work"

PwC in my experience are useless; and this statement does not build confidence. It sounds more like the closing comment on a bad end of year school report from a company whose ugly head continues to rear itself whenever the smoke of financial impropriety wafts past.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Hollerithevo

Two of Big Four wastes of money

I have had dealing with PwC and Deloitte and could not believe the shoddiness of their work. I had a report from Deloitte that was almost illiterate, also lazy and poorly researched. My boss shelled out £10k for it. My intern could have done better.

1. John G Imrie
      Trollface

Re: Two of Big Four wastes of money

Where you buying any other products from them, did you tell them that you would be buying any products from them?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Two of Big Four wastes of money

"My boss shelled out £10k for it. "

Three's yer problem. A tuppeny ha'penny company that they know will not be stumping up £millions in fees so they use you as a training ground for the auditors equivalent of the PFY

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, self-regulation at its best- as evidenced most recently in the building industry.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon