back to article Nations 'ethically obliged' to ensure public health data is up to scratch

The World Health Organisation has issued what it says is the first international framework for ethical public health data collection and use. The WHO said that there is an “imperative to conduct surveillance, analyse the data and act on the results” in a transparent, ethical and responsible way. Public health surveillance - …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good to see a start !

actually, reading the "table of contents" version of those guidelines, with minimal adaptation they make a not-too-bad set of guidelines for security monitoring too; general patterns can be monitored, but those who have access to data should be responsible for keeping it secure and no scope/mission creep, no tracking of named individuals without just cause, and so on.

As far as the comment in the article about commercial entities being involved and will they wish to exploit the data, of course they will, if they are doing it for nothing or subsidising it: if they have a contract at commercial rates, then couldn't contract terms possibly be used to stop that?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure there is some fluffy marshmallow land filled with bunnies, happy singing birds and rivers that flow with lemonade where corporations will do it for free and not use or sell the data or even charge said nation a fortune for their own data once they have that foot in the door.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All helping to make the world government a reality - you will be a number that all those in power know everything about. See Agenda 21.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Until I see soylent green in the supermarket I'm going to dismiss that as a tin foil hat theory.

Next you'll be telling me chemtrails are giving us all cancer and the lizards are in control.

I used to think that a "world government" could be on the agenda by those in power, it makes sense really but then I came to my senses and realised that there is no way it could ever happen because of the internet and the fact that even though us humans are stupid we have evolved enough not to be controlled by one faction or person. Reality TV might change that but hey ho.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon