back to article Ride-snare: Lyft ruse helps cops cuff suspect in tech CEO murder case

A police officer in Fayette County, Georgia, has nabbed a murder suspect by appropriating the Lyft vehicle he figured the perp hoped to use as a getaway car. Albert DeMagnus, CEO of an IT business named Computer Management Services, was stabbed to death during a June 23 home invasion. He was discovered by his wife, whereupon …

1. Shadow Systems

Would that be a MITM attack then?

Sounds like one more reason not to use such services. You'll never know if the car that shows up is the one responding to the hail, that the car driver is the registered owner of the car, or if you're about to wind up as front page news when the driver turns out to be some psychopath in a stolen car that just carjacked the real driver & is now about to splash you literally across the next oncoming lorry they encounter.

Or am I just being paranoid?

*Tells The Voices In My Head to STFU*

1. Mark 85

Re: Would that be a MITM attack then?

I think you need to get this copyrighted and maybe some legal advice. Your post has the hallmarks of on a made-for-TV movie and you should reap the benefits.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Would that be a MITM attack then?

Because any other taxi car can't be hijacked by a psychopath? Any time you travel with someone you never met before (and sometimes even when met before), you have some chances you're traveling with a dangerous psychopath.

In some countries you need also to know that not every car that looks like a taxi is a real one, because there are many scammers trying to get naive travelers, usually just to ask them much more money than a real taxi, but it could go worse.

1. Shadow Systems

@LDS, Re: Would that be a MITM attack then?

I've always assumed ALL cab/taxi drivers were psychopaths. Given the way they drive like they were playing GTA, I've refused to get in one unless I absolutely have to, otherwise I take the bus.

As for a friend/acquaintence turning psychotic behind the wheel, that's why they let the blind guy drive - I can't be any worse than the cab/taxi drivers! =-D

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: @LDS, Would that be a MITM attack then?

That's why you need to check if it is a genuine London taxi driver by asking them the secret passphrase:

"so what about all these immigrants?"

2. frank ly

Timing

"... when we exited and identified ourself as the sheriff’s office”. After a 100-yard chase, the suspect was arrested."

Perhaps tackle him to the ground before the polite introductions? Or is this a police procedure thing?

1. 's water music
      Holmes

Re: Timing

"... when we exited and identified ourself as the sheriff’s office”. After a 100-yard chase, the suspect was arrested."

Perhaps tackle him to the ground before the polite introductions? Or is this a police procedure thing?

I dunno, maybe when the perp called the lyft he failed to id himself to the operator as 'that guy the police are after for a recent home invasion

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Makes a change from the usual 'murcan shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later approach

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Perhaps tackle him to the ground before the polite introductions?"

Just pick him up and give him a lyft to the cop shop. No reason for undue exertion.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"His car happened to be the same model and colour as the Lyft"

Was the Lyft driver a policeman too using the police car while not on service, or is it normal for Lyft drivers to drive cars like the sheriff's one, with roof lightbars, big stars on the sides, etc.? Also, I wonder what a suspect would do when the app tells him such car model is going to get him...

1. 's water music

Re: "His car happened to be the same model and colour as the Lyft"

Was the Lyft driver a policeman too using the police car while not on service, or is it normal for Lyft drivers to drive cars like the sheriff's one, with roof lightbars, big stars on the sides, etc.?

but, but, but, it's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. so yes, totally normal

1. Sixtysix

Re: "His car happened to be the same model and colour as the Lyft"

ex-Cop car?

...fix the cigarette lighter.

+1 for Blues Brothers reference

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Home invasion

What is with this "home invasion" phenomenon? Especially in a country where the householder may well be armed to the teeth?

I guess it's probably just a sad indictment of the US public education system. In other countries, burglars have the sense to wait until you've gone out before breaking in.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Home invasion

It's pretty messed up, and yes, it's the reason I own a gun. (aside from the possibility I might eventually need it to cure my Alzheimer's)

Heck, our crooks are so stupid, they drown themselves: http://www.wftv.com/news/local/deputies-find-body-of-car-burglary-suspect-in-lake-sherwood/539998404

2. Dal90

Re: Home invasion

The vast majority of "Home Invasions" are drug dealers ripping off drug dealers.

Strangers targeting random victim like "In Cold Blood" back in '59 or the Petit home invasion in Connecticut in 2007 remain very rare.

5. Jeffrey Nonken

Important information missing from article

...But what were the cop's and Lyft driver's cars' make and model?

This critical information was left out of the article. It's not complete without them.

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Important information missing from article

Silver Toyota Prius.

You could pretend to be just about any minicab company driver with one of those.

1. IT Hack

Re: Important information missing from article

Silver Toyota Prius

I heard it was a Honda. With a ton of silver in the trunk. Fired out of a cannon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like