back to article UK's Ministry of Fun considers what to tell social media firms about online bullying

The UK government is to start talks with social media providers about a code of conduct that will guide their response to online bullying. The code will issue social media companies with guidance on how to deal with online bullying, and is the first time that they will be subject to legislation on online bullying. It is one …

1. frank ly

Get the popcorn

"... the first time that they will be subject to legislation on online bullying."

How does legislation work for social media providers who are not based in the UK? Who don't have any UK corporate presence? I realise that this is aimed at Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, who do have a corporate UK presence but it does seem to be legislation that could go wrong in the future.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Get the popcorn

Same way as here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/27/telegram_warned_by_russian_regulator_roskomnadzor/

Why do you think UK govt has been pushing SPs to implement blacklists for various "good causes" so much? It is first good causes, then compliance and at the end outright censorship.

1. Alister

Same way as here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/27/telegram_warned_by_russian_regulator_roskomnadzor/

Umm, but isn't that a Russian company, being warned by the Russian government?

AFAIK the UK regulator, like the Russian regulator, has no binding power over companies based outside their respective countries.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Umm, but isn't that a Russian company,

No. German company. Telegram is registered in Germany and run out of there too.

So, in fact, this is exactly what we will see one day (especially if Teresa continues to get things her way).

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
        Big Brother

It is first good causes, then compliance and at the end outright censorship.

That it could become very bad does not mean the solution must be to do nothing.

I do understand the fear though. As a society we have collectively allowed those who work for us to become dictators of what we will do. We need to grow a pair and really Take Back Control.

Don't blame the government though - it's in their DNA to behave as they do - blame the people, the society, which allows them to get away with it.

2. Elmer Phud
    WTF?

Well, bully for them

Is this the same HM.Gov that has just put on the gimp suit for the Paisley Party?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

NI

OK lets try a real world scenario.

The Orange order are organising a march through a catholic area via Facebook, promoting their "traditional values". The Catholics see this as an act of intimidation and bullying.

Ms May. How do you stand on this with your newly bribed supporters?

4. Chika
    FAIL

Typical...

"Now then, now then, just tell me all about it and I'll see what I can do."

"Yes"

"I see"

"Well I'll just tell them that they have been a naughty tweeter and they mustn't do it again. Now blow your nose and be on your way and don't forget; my door is always open."

>SLAM<

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NO!

Trolling is a time honoured internet tradition.

#culturalAppropriation

1. Meph
      Paris Hilton

Re: NO!

"Trolling is a time honoured internet tradition"

The internet as we recognise it today is only in its late twenties, so I'm not totally sure that the word "tradition" is quite appropriate.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: NO!

I'd say that 30 internet years are roundabout like 150 IRL years.

Also, trolling existed long before the internet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like