back to article Genoans flout terror ban with bumper basil hand baggage policy

Heightened security at airports clearly doesn't apply to all liquids, at least not in Italy. An airport in Genoa is now allowing flyers to travel with jars of the local speciality sauce – pesto. Cristoforo Colombo Airport said that receptacles of the green stuff made with basil, cheese, pine nuts and olive oil – even jars over …

1. Kevin Johnston

I wonder

Does this count as an Intermission in the Security Theatre?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder

You can have ice cream during the intermission, but only if the raspberry sauce comes from a bottle of 100ml or less

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well of course it does because if you can use a Stanley knife (box cutter for the left pondians) then a glass jar or bottle is equally effective. Which then begs the question about duty free bottles of which the expensive ones are still glass the last time I flew though that might be dependent on the airport being used.

You can't have security theatre without fear.

You also can't have slaughter without laughter and finally you can't have happiness without a ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've always wondered about that too....

Off the top of my head I can think of at least 3 different ways to make a stabbing/cutting weapon with on-board supplies, many more if I was to include items purchased at duty free...

Yes its a good idea to screen passengers, but keep it sensible, and use profiling to identify risks.

1. Named coward

Cutting instruments are not a threat to an airplane

1. theModge

Indeed not, but they're still banned, mostly to keep people in work, but partially in case you hold it to someone's throat and start making demands.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corrections,

Chip gravy sauce for Manchester.

Warm Lager for London.

Batter Mix for Glasgow.

Mint sauce for Wales.

For those that can't take a bit of light banter please feel free to hit the down vote.

Genoa think there may be a few.

Hey pesto.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intended to prevent liquid bombs, including binary explosives, being smuggled on board

Let's just hope no-one does a mid-air mix of pesto and antipasto.

4. Nifty Silver badge

The x-ray scan scanned the liquid and confirmed it was a liquid

Taking the logic one step further, transparent liquids will also need ex-ray scanning just in case.

5. Alistair
    Pint

And you KNOW what canucks would wave through

-- Just hope the airline is serving pancakes and waffles.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are the Aussies going to allow bottles of Vegemite on planes?

Or is that getting into trafficking in WMDs?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would anyone bother?

Buying industrial (and probably overpriced) pesto during a trip, when nowadays the necessary, good quality ingredients are so easy to find even at the local Tesco? It is not like ten years ago when I had to go to a speciality garden shop at the beginning of the season, order my basil plant and pamper it like it was my own son until it got too cold for it.

For those interested, the basic recipe goes thusly:

* Get one basil plant at Tesco for about £1.00-£1.50

* Get some pine nuts at Tesco for about £2.00-£3.00

* Get some olive oil for about £5.00-£7.00. It is important to choose extra virgin, cold pressed oil. In general, any oil from Spain should be alright (Carbonell and Borges are high-price brands, not the best but will do the job); conversely, I haven't found any decent oils amongst Greek exports. In a pinch, French brand Puget does the job although theirs is a mix of oils from the EU and Turkey. I get mine from a friend's farm in Italy so I can't comment on what's available at Tesco.

* Get some Parmesan cheese for £2.00-£3.00. This is optional, and if you are going to be storing the pesto for a few days you may wish to mix it in just before consuming.

* Get a small clove (or half clove) or garlic. Also optional.

* A pinch of salt. Optional too.

Now put the pine nuts, the garlic and the salt in the blender with 50-100 ml of oil. Blend it to a coarse / slightly coarse consistency (according to taste). Next pluck the basil leaves, rinse them, and throw them in. Blend again for 5-10 seconds only. Add the Parmesan (to taste, typically between 0% to 75% of the amount of pine nuts), then blend again until obtaining the desired texture (so from 0 to 60 seconds or so). You may also add more olive oil at this point or latter just before serving if you prefer a more liquid pesto. For storage, cover with a thin film of oil to prevent oxidation of the basil at the top of the container.

There are many possible variations: you may also add dried and/or fresh tomatoes, other kinds of seeds instead of or in addition to pine nuts, even other oils. As with all traditional stuff, there isn't a single recipe (I do many different variations myself).

In any event, it takes less than ten minutes to prepare pesto, it can be stored for up to about a week, and fresh, good quality ingredients are easily available locally at reasonable prices. So why bother buying the touristy stuff (plus industrial pesto is just vile!)?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why would anyone bother?

"French brand Puget does the job although theirs is a mix of oils [...]"

Oops! I read that at first as Peugeot.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Peugeot makes very good pepper mills.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Oops! I read that at first as Peugeot.

Drinking the oil is probably the best thing you can do with a Peugeot anyway.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Oops! I read that at first as Peugeot.

Well - they are a source of oil. Mostly all over the road..

2. Richard Parkin

Not Parmigiano but Pecorino.

Not Parmigiano but Pecorino.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not Parmigiano but Pecorino.

> Not Parmigiano but Pecorino.

Yes, it is a choice. As mentioned, there are countless variations. I personally detest sheep cheese so I will stick to good old Parmesan (actually, in most cases I don't use cheese at all).

3. John H Woods Silver badge

Did you forget to toast your nuts, or are you leaving that to us?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Did you forget to toast your nuts?

Wheel nuts?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Did you forget to toast your nuts, or are you leaving that to us?

Toasting (or roasting) the pine nuts? For making pesto? I suppose you could if it strikes your fancy, but personally I do not do it and furthermore it strikes me as something very foreign and removed from the spirit of pesto as a simple sauce made of raw ingredients.

Again, it's your recipe, you do what you want with it, but be aware that there are certain things that will denature the result. A bit like adding chilli to a gazpacho or having escargots (snails) with HP sauce.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Coat

"having escargots (snails) with HP sauce."

Yay, someone found a way to make escargot palatable!

The shellsuit .............................>

4. small and stupid

Belin

"There are many possible variations: you may also add dried and/or fresh tomatoes, other kinds of seeds instead of or in addition to pine nuts, even other oils. As with all traditional stuff, there isn't a single recipe (I do many different variations myself)."

No, no, no, no. a Genovese hit squad is on its way now to punish you.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Belin

No, no, no, no. a Genovese hit squad is on its way now to punish you.

Time to put on the crossbow-protection armour!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Belin

> a Genovese hit squad is on its way now to punish you.

Me gli passo in culo i genovesi.

8. InfiniteApathy
    WTF?

I'm confident I will regret this

What is hot irn-bru sauce?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: I'm confident I will regret this

A piquant delicacy certain to delight even the most jaded of palets

A perfect accompaniment to deep fried confectionery to be found at all the best weegie dinner tables

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What is hot irn-bru sauce?"

Irn-Bru is a carbonated soft drink strongly associated with Glasgow, Scotland. Given that the region's other culinary delicacies include deep fried chocolate Mars bars - then a sauce containing Irn-Bru is perfectly feasible and does exist.

1. dajames

... a sauce containing Irn-Bru is perfectly feasible and does exist.

Hmm ... It calls itself "Iron Brew" sauce, so presumably isn't sanctioned by Barrs, who produce the Irn-Bru drink, and possibly has nothing to do with the drink at all. It's a bit hard to tell as the website of the makers of the sauce (www.necessaucery.com) seems to be a dead link and it seems the company may be defunct.

I did have a (strange, bright orange, but actually fairly palatable) Irn-Bru flavoured cheesecake in Fort William, recently, though.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Superb headline opportunity wasted.

"Cristoforo Colombo Airport is anti-Pesto."

V. Poor work El Reg.

10. pleb

But it's all for charity darling ...

...so we should overlook that firstly it questions the validity of the supposed security protocols, and secondly that it is an apology for anti-competitive parochial practices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But it's all for charity darling ...

> ...so we should overlook that firstly it questions the validity of the supposed security protocols

Next time you're flying with a couple of petrol cans (never travel without) all you have to do is donate 50 cents to charity and hey, pesto! (I mean, presto).

11. earl grey
    Facepalm

Mint sauce for Wales.

I've heard of mind sauce for mutton, but never seen a big enough barrel for a whale, much less a pod.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like