back to article Humanity uploaded an AI to Mars and lets it shoot rocks with lasers

In late 2015 NASA gave the Curiosity Mars rover a software upgrade to let it operate autonomously. The Autonomous Exploration for Gathering Increased Science (AEGIS) code was uploaded because the rover can't be told what to do during the long periods communication with Earth is not possible. A little autonomy, NASA reckoned, …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    1. albegadeep

Re: Obligatory xkcd

Or, for that matter, this one

I have to admit, my first reaction to turning a "nuclear-powered space tank" equipped with a laser powerful enough to vaporize rocks over to an AI was "NOOOOOOO!!!!" And then it occurred to me that the laser's range is probably only a few feet/meters. Ah, well, not in my backyard, well that's alright then.

1. LaeMing
        Terminator

Remember kids:

True fact: Mars is a planet very near Earth which is populated entirely by robots.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure H.G. Wells would have a thing or two to say about this....

1. Ochib

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they come!

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

The chances of anything coming from Mars is 99%.

FTFY

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The chances of anything coming from Mars is 99%.

FTFY

Incorrect. Million to one shots happen nine times out of ten, so that would be 90%

<mutters>Bloody ignorant roundworlders!</mutters>

2. Sgt_Oddball
        Coat

Everyone knows one-in-a-million chances happen nine times out of ten...

Mines the one with the sausage inna bun in the pocket.

2. getHandle

Pre-emptive strike!

That'll learn 'em!

3. Christoph
      Alien

That's an infra-red laser. A Heat Ray. Being fired at anything that looks vaguely interesting. What could possibly go wrong?

3. Lotaresco

We can now confirm that there is no life on Mars

There was life on Mars until we unleashed a nuclear powered killbot on the face of the red planet. Now there's just ash.

1. Tikimon

Re: We can now confirm that there is no life on Mars

The Martians are far too smart and cool for that. They're actually hanging around just out of camera view, lighting their cigarettes off the laser. Later manned missions will be shocked to discover extensive graffiti on the rover, including what will later be determined to be the Martian analogue to dicks.

4. lee harvey osmond

AEGIS + AI + lasers = palpitations, surely?

Oh. Not Aegis in the sense of AN/SPY-1. We can all go back to sleep.

5. TRT Silver badge

The famous Herring Sandwich experiment.

"The easiest way to fool a completely logical robot is to feed it with the same stimulus sequence over and over again so it gets locked in a loop. This was best demonstrated by the famous Herring Sandwich experiments conducted millennia ago at MISPWOSO (the MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Working Out the Surprisingly Obvious).

A robot was programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches. This was actually the most difficult part of the whole experiment. Once the robot had been programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches, a herring sandwich was placed in front of it. Where upon the robot thought to itself, Ah! A herring sandwich! I like herring sandwiches."

"It would then bend over and scoop up the herring sandwich in its herring sandwich scoop, and then straighten up again. Unfortunately for the robot, it was fashioned in such a way that the action of straightening up caused the herring sandwich to slip straight back off its herring sandwich scoop and fall on to the floor in front of the robot. Whereupon the robot thought to itself, Ah! A herring sandwich..., etc., and repeated the same action over and over again."

"The scientists at the Institute thus discovered the driving force behind all change, development, and innovation in life, which was this: herring sandwiches. They published a paper to this effect, which was widely criticized as being extremely stupid. They checked their figures and realized that what they had actually discovered was "boredom," or rather, the practical function of boredom. In a fever of excitement they then went on to discover other emotions like "irritability," "depression," "reluctance," "ickiness," and so on. The next big breakthrough came when they stopped using herring sandwiches, whereupon a whole welter of new emotions became suddenly available to them for study, such as "relief," "joy," "friskiness," appetite," "satisfaction," and most important of all, the desire for "happiness.""

6. M7S

FFS, does no-one remember the future?

Nuclear powered tanks, lasers shooting rocks, Mars

Don't be surprised when a couple of glowing hoops move around you, accompanied by a very bass voice on the PA very confident that you can hear them

1. John 110
      Coat

Re: FFS, does no-one remember the future?

@M7S

Bags I'm Captain Blue!

1. Inspector71

Hey, can I get to drive the SPV?

1. TRT Silver badge

Opportunity? Subsequent missions... Harmony, Destiny, Symphony, Rhapsody, Melody.

2. Chris G

"THIS IS THE VOICE OF CURIOSITY! I found a large black cuboid which I lasered..........

7. Tom Paine

Such a shame...

...that the development and testing work on the Mars 2020 rover being carried out a few miles outside London will the last UK involvement with anything remotely like flight hardware before we leave ESA.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Such a shame...

testing work on the Mars 2020 rover being carried out a few miles outside London

Hell, if it's got a big enough laser, test it round Westminster.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Headmaster

"remotely like flight hardware before we leave ESA."

Actually no.

Although it's called the European Space Agency it's not directly tied to the EU.

And Canada is also a member.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Such a shame...

"before we leave ESA."

What? When's that happening then? Are we also going to cut the UK free from the continental shelf and sail off somewhere else because we are leaving everything with "Europe" in it's name? Is this why the SNP is investing in large anchors?

8. Tikimon
    Devil

Good future movie device here...

First some stock xenophobic space aliens attack our Mars bases, to stage their Earth invasion from the Red Planet. A handful of plucky (and beautiful) humans escape and try to sabotage their evil plans. When all looks lost, someone thinks to reactivate Curiosity. They program it to trundle into the aliens' headquarters and laser the control panel for the Main Reactor to blow them up and Save Humanity. Optional if you want to install an AI into it and have scenes of pathos as it is about to be annihilated in nuclear fire.

Hey, I could be a Hollywood screenwriter. Who knew.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Good future movie device here...

I see you've taken a course at the L. Ron Hubbard academy of script-writing.

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge

successful in the real world

Well, successful in *a* real world...

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge

NASA actually makes quite heavy use of AI

In the sense of task scheduling and planning problem diagnosing systems.

Not exactly HAL but handy for lightening the routing burden of looking reams of stuff for any suspect patterns (or rather looking through those reams for a pattern after something has happened).

11. JJKing
    Facepalm

They never seem to get it correct.

No, no, no, no NOOOOOOOO! It's SHARKS with laser, not Mars rovers with lasers. Hell it doesn't even sound right.

12. Pat Harkin

Firing lasers at things on Mars...

Isn't that how the whole Mysteron thing kicked off?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like