back to article Gov digitisation plans happening too slowly, say IfG policy wonks. Hear that, GDS?

In what might seem like an exercise stating the blindingly obvious, a report by policy wonks at think tank The Institute for Government has found that gov tech transformation is "happening too slowly" and the online identity platform Verify needs some urgently intervention. The report, Improving the management of digital …

1. frank ly

"Verify needs to be addressed"

I read that as 'Verity' and thought it was a Stob special. Oh well, I'll keep on waiting patiently.

2. Allonymous Coward
    Joke

> Verify needs some urgently intervention

I accidentally all of Verify... is this dangerous?

3. monty75

"It reached that conclusion after conducting 30 interviews with senior digital and policy officials across Whitehall and the public sector"

They could have saved themselves the effort and just checked this link https://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=gds

4. bigbob

> departments resent interference and resist new ways of working

Of course they do. And kids hate school and exams. But departments will never produce decent digital services if they aren't ushered in the right direction somehow. GDS has done more good for them than anything previously.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"GDS has done more good for them than anything previously."

You forgot the joke icon.

5. Andy E
    FAIL

I'm confused...

How does this comparison work then?

"The success rate in verifying individuals is just 43 per cent. In contrast, the current online identity Government Gateway portal has 50 million accounts."

One has a success rate of 43% and the other has 50 million accounts. What are the comparable success rates in verifying individuals and how many accounts does the Verify ID portal have?

You're comparing apples to oranges.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm confused...

Verify has 1.32m accounts, according to GDS:

https://www.gov.uk/performance/govuk-verify

I tride to use it but it didn't work, quelle surprise.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. gc73

How many of those 50 million are actually live accounts? When the Gov Gateway was first launched I created an account (I can't remember why, I think it was to do with car tax). Apply for a passport? Can't remember the password? You can't recover it, they'll advise creating a new one. Recently I created another (I'm not very good with passwords I hardly use), so created it through Verify, which works very well until I had to submit a tax return and sound that part of gov.uk only works with a Gov Gateway ID and you guessed I had to create another ID. (It doesn't seem possible to get the details on the account that was created through Verify).

Even the government website treats the gateway ID as a disposable item.

If they had smarts the government could begin supplying digital certs. Imagine, a government provided certificate that you can use to secure all your digital life. A lot of politicians would wet themselves at that idea!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon