back to article No, really. You can see through walls using drones and Wi-Fi

Drones can perform three-dimensional imaging of objects through walls using Wi-Fi, a team of researchers demonstrated for the first time. Chitra Karanam, a PhD student, and Yasamin Mostofi, a professor at the department of electrical and computer engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara, presented their …

1. Sureo

We need those tinfoil hats more than ever.

1. RJG

Just one problem with that.

Unfortunatly, in this case a tinfoil hat would just reflect the signal better and make imaging you easier.

You need some of this special WiFi absorbing paint I'm selling at quite reasonable prices.

1. Coen Dijkgraaf
        Black Helicopters

Re: Just one problem with that.

How soon before we are all having to live in a faraday cage?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Before? You mean your bunker isn't already enclosed in a signal blocking mesh?

1. Coen Dijkgraaf

> You mean your bunker isn't already enclosed in a signal blocking mesh?

I didn't say I was or wasn't, but I'm sure we all know some people who aren't yet.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

I think you've missed his point. These signals are the same wavelength as regular WiFi or mobile phones, so for the majority of users there is no chance in hell of them penetrating their dwelling. :(

1. Robert Helpmann??
                Childcatcher

...for the majority of users there is no chance in hell of them penetrating their dwelling.

Two points concerning this: 1) the signal strength needed to form an image is not necessarily the same as that needed to create a usable image and 2) passive scanning might be more effective as most houses and businesses have wi-fi of some sort running all the time. In fact, passive scanning has the potential for clearer images in some cases as it has to go through, on average, half of what an active system would.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Sureo

No, now it's time to turn our hats into wallpaper! The secret which they were initially designed for :P

1. DropBear
        Trollface

Re: @Sureo

I'd rather have that meta-material cape that can bend microwave around me invisibly. You got any? Come on, just because your couture of choice is tin foil-based doesn't mean you don't have to keep track of what's in vogue this year...

3. mosw

> We need those tinfoil hats more than ever.

No, better to create a WiFi app that detects to the probing signals and transmits responses which paint a false image. They will only see what you want them to see. Dibs on the DARPA grant for this.

2. AnthonyP69

Penetrating RADAR

Why do you have to put the word Drone in front of this?

Doesn't this already exist without the drone?

1. hplasm
      Facepalm

Re: Penetrating RADAR

The answer is blowing in the RTFA...

3. Brenda McViking

Wifi isn't a particularly good radar frequency for imaging houses. 2-3GHz is used in aicraft surveillance typically, 5GHz for weather mapping. Better for range (at markedly higher power than typical domestic wifi equipment, obviously), less good for resolution. You want much higher frequencies in the 20GHz+ ranges really for decent resolution at ranges like that. Your car parking radar sensors are circa 75GHz to give you an accurate idea of how close you are to that car behind you.

More on this sort of stuff at radartutorial.eu

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I suspect that "proper" radar kit is expensive whereas WiFi kit is everywhere - and you may not even detect that you're being scanned.

Personally, I would like to thank the University for giving me yet another reason to down a drone as soon as it comes near my property. And get a WiFi jammer.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Those higher frequencies will give you the extra resolution, but only if they can actually pass through the brick walls. (Ironically, this probably means that conventional radar wisdom is mis-leading because conventional radar depends on the opacity (or at least, the reflectivity) of materials to the chosen wavelength, not their transparency as required here.)

3. hplasm
      Coat

Indeed.

A Terahertz setup on drones would work - but drones aren't allowed in airports...

4. ma1010
    Big Brother

Interesting technology

...a lot of problems have to be solved before drones can be used for more complex situations like search-and-rescue operations, structural modelling to monitor the state of buildings and bridges, or inspecting potential archaeological sites.

The above sound like good uses for this technology if it works. But it could also be used for spying on people in their homes. Of course, who would want to do a thing like that?

Might be an idea to keep a loaded shotgun (or other drone-stopping device of your choice) handy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wifi?

Calling it "wifi" sounds lovely and headline grabby, but it's just using a radio frequency in the wifi range. It may have well said "microwave oven drone".

Or, all they've done is stick some GPR equipment on a drone. Interestingly, GPR already uses frequencies either side of the wifi range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-penetrating_radar

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Already in use, minus drones

IIRC, they had this working for military/police purposes, in order to locate targets in armed standoff situations, quite a few years ago... minus the drones but with higher accuracy and the ability to locate people.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like