back to article Consultancy titan EY to shift jobs to Indian outsourcer TCS

Consultancy goliath Ernst & Young is planning to outsource a number of IT jobs to India in its latest wave of outsourcing. An email from EY, seen by The Register, told staff it has decided to work with India-based Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to deliver its application support. It said: "We recognise this is a big change …

1. Korev Silver badge

Differentiation?

"Following our recent, independent IT strategy review, we are in the process of transforming how we deliver IT services to provide market differentiation for our clients.

What about focusing on service rather than cost to provide "market differentiation"?

1. RavingDaveD

Re: Differentiation?

Not sure how you 'differentiate' yourself by doing what everyone else appears to be doing, i.e. outsourcing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What can is the differentiation when all of your services are provided by the same sweatshop which the competition is using?

I don't get it.

3. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Flame

If they truly want to differentiate themselves and save the most money, they would outsource all their MBA jobs to India. MBA's are the very definition of a commodity degree used in jobs were everyone is 100% replacable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In my experience, young MBA's tend to morph into PHB's of the worst kind once they are given any responsibility.

I have an MBA (More bloody areshole) but I got mine aged 54 and only used it to put young MBA's in their place.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You can tell a PHB type MBA from the rest by whether they include 'MBA' in their email signature. I have one, but I don't feel the need to tell everyone who receives an email from me. I mainly got it because I wasn't ready to give up being a carefree student, and that offered a way to shirk the real world for two more years :)

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Mo Osborne sounds like a pigeon director - swoops in with her flock in tow, shits over everyone and fucks off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hey - no stealing my pigeon manager description. Tsk. Kids these days.

3. HmmmYes

OK, sell me EY.

If they outsourcing to TCS or whoever, what value add do EY provide?

None. So why do they exist?

1. Gordon 10

I read this as referring to their IT ops staff, not IT consulting.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Allegedly they don't do IT consultancy work as such, it's all auditing, risk management and IT controls, with a little bit of fraud investigation thrown in.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pity

They've been recommending this to clients for years and haven't practised what they preach.

I hope they enjoy the shambles that will soon engulf them.

4. sorry, what?
    Devil

That BA reference...

Made me laugh maniacally as I wondered if this was anything to do with the recent IT systems issue...

In my experience you generally get what you pay for when you outsource. Don't get me wrong; there are some excellent IT professionals in India, but when you use these outsource outfits you can bet that 99 out of 100 of the staff who work on your projects will be on the low side of the skills equation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That BA reference...

In my experience with outsourcing you DON'T get what you pay for, you pay a LOT more for a lot LESS!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

99 out of 100 Outsourced to India Techs not only don't have the technical skills to do their jobs. They can barely speak English, which makes understanding what they are saying and communicating with them, next to impossible. This negates any "cost savings" that outsourcing may have provided. And yes, you can bet that Outsourcing to an Indian Bloke who can't get the job done, is the cause of BA's recently problem, as they have outsourced, to India.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The cause of the issue was a local sparky powering down the data centre. It may have been the offshore team who were unable to recover everything in a timely fashion, but they weren't the cause.

Every time I see another bunch of IT jobs being offshored, I wonder why the onshore visa allocation isn't reduced by a similar count to offset the balance? If the work is going offshore then there's no need to bring foreign staff onshore because there will be sufficient UK staff to do the work / or no work for the onshored staff to do either?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Please stand for parliament, the best solution I've heard in a while.

5. Stoneshop

we are in the process of transforming how we deliver IT services

Upgrading from 1200 to 2400 baud modems, are they?

1. Linker3000
      Headmaster

Re: we are in the process of transforming how we deliver IT services

Above 1200, it's officially 'bits per second' as the modulation techniques changed so that one state transition can convey multiple bits. Baud is only used where 1 state change = 1 bit.

/Yeah, I passed my A+ Service Technician Exam.

//How many UK or overseas consultants could have told you that, and how much would they have charged!?

///I feel old.

6. Inspector71

We recognise....

Shouldn't that read "We recognise that this is a big change in the amount of money we are are going to pay ourselves"

7. Frank N. Stein

This "Cost Savings"/Outsourcing isn't saving any of them any money. They're just switching columns in order to pay managers more for doing less and East Indians less for not being able to Speak Clear English and get the job done.

8. techdead

EY troll around advising other companies to outsource/offshore, so they have to eat their own dogfood, hope it chokes them

9. trevorde Silver badge

All's well...

Because everything that's outsourced to TCS always ends well

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All's well...

TCS are practically the gold standard for outsourcing now...

You could try IBM, but you'll find they try to save money quickly by bringing the redundancies forward and pushing the hiring of staff in cheaper offshore locations out.

10. steamnut

Brexit?

I'm amazed that EY didn't manage to blame BREXIT for this change, But, as the winners in this move will be India, and other EU countries are also losing out, then the EU overall is a loser in this move.

11. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Whats to stop EYs customers saying "well screw you , we'll go and contract the Indian chppies ourselves"?

Inertia and management thats what. And possibly remaining contract time. and back handers.

Some (govt) places end up with several layers of parasites creaming a bit off and then passing the work on.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did you know...

This is vaguely on topic , cos it outsourcing. But i just wanted to rant about this cos i just found out.

One A&E department at one hospital is paying 25k per month for some software that basically checks patients in . ie writes their name down (like u could do for free in a spreadsheet. or in notepad , or actually on a notepad) . I dont know what other whistles anbd bells its got , but what could it possibly have thats worth 25k per month? How many nurses would that buy?

The pirates charging this to public purses should be ashamed of themselves , or ideally put in prison for theft.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"but what could it possibly have thats worth 25k per month? "

Niche market, gets the job done, no FOSS competition, backhander to PHB on contract.

Take your pick.

Apparently some NHS S/W really was written by a one man band that can't afford the time to upgrade his tools or OS.

Unf**kingbelievable. You know management either set this up to fail and "prove" only the "Usual Suspects" can handle hospital IT or he knows someone on the inside.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "but what could it possibly have thats worth 25k per month? "

There's a reason why all NHS job adverts specify NHS experience is essential.

13. wolfetone Silver badge

""We recognise this is a big change that affects our people and we have sought to minimise the impact on them. We have already notified the people impacted by this decision and we will support them during this transition."

So, originally it was going to be:

"Dear employee, we're sorry to say you're being made redundant and your position will be transferred to India. Consider this your 1 month notice period."

But instead they had a heart and said:

"Dear employee, we know you were planning on having a holiday. So what we've done is we're giving you an indefinate period of holiday! Don't worry, we have placed your job with someone in India who'll look after it while you're gone. Don't hurry back x"

Pricks.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But..

Don't we need to bring in IT professionals from India and other countries to meet the requirements of business?

BTW outside London, senior salaries in India and the UK are now fairly similar thanks to the currency devaluation.

15. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

That outsourcing craze....

It feels like the early 90s again.

Then in the late 90s companies noticed that they had hollowed out their skills base and stopped the madness. Outsourcing morphed into "Rightsourcing" (yes I know, management fad designations are even worse than IT fad designators, but we have "node.js" as the kewl way of saying "i'm totally hip to using an interpreter for one of the worst languages ever in an arse-backwards scenario", right?)

So, when will the pendulum swing back again?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: That outsourcing craze....

The 1980s actually and it's never stopped.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fortunately India are keen to agree a trade deal with the UK after we exit the EU - their main condition is free movement of labour between the two countries.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The impact of free movement of labour within the EU (lowering salaries, increasing house prices and putting increased pressure on local services) is why many people voted to leave. With local jobs being lost due to outsourcing, the last thing we need is more immigrants undercutting local workers for the diminishing number of jobs that remain.

Trade deals concern trade not labour, and the general idea is that they benefit both parties equally. Free movement of labour would be of negligible benefit to the UK.

Unhappy

"Free movement of labour would be of negligible benefit to the UK."

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yup those who voted Brexit to stop those Europeans having unlimited access to coming into the country will now have unlimited access from India instead.

What, did the kiddies not realize that was going to happen?

I often wonder what it will feel like as more leave voters realize how well they've been played by what were basically a bunch of "Tory posh boys." (Farage, Johnson etc).

You wonder how big a currency deal Farage had down on a Brexit leave vote.

Meanwhile West Wales, Cornwall and the Scilly Isle will lose > 1000 Euros/ person while the Tees Valley around Middlesborough will lose about 300Euros/person in aid.

Better hope "President" May's new govt will make up the shortfall, eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You forgot the joke icon, or are you trolling? Allowing foreign companies access to our market to undercut local workers is damaging enough to the UK economy. No British government would contemplate such a ludicrous idea which could only be of benefit to India. They would be certain to lose the subsequent election and the policy would be reversed. What could India possibly offer in return for such a relationship?

Unhappy

" No British government..contemplate such a ludicrous idea..could only be of benefit to India. "

"Trade deals" are just that

Deals.

You get something. We get something.

Did you not see the speech David Davies (the "Minister for Brexit") tell Hungarians not to worry because the UK would be dependent on foreign IE EU workers for years to come?

The problem was never about foreign or local workers.

It was about local authorities not having the resources to cope with (relatively) rapidly shifting demographics, because central government (IE The Home Office and Dept for Communities & Local Govt) could not get their collective fingers out to deal with such situations.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

You forgot the joke icon, or are you trolling?

Did YOU forget the joke icon? Because these are the same deals that have been made for the last 2 decades, yet people keep electing the same parties that are screwing them.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm just going to leave this here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHSoN8t6x3M

What could possibly go wrong?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I work with a big consultancy's offshore BS in India. Every solution is defined by their woeful incapabilities, and you get their incompetent QA just to wind you up every day. You can't sack them because the client has signed a 3 years SLA.

EY are making a mistake.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TCS are shit

The worst of the outsourced cretins.

I did a review of several vendors of oursourced services and TCS were the worst.

First hand experience also showed they delivered shit code, failed to support service, overran on delivery and couldn't find their ass with both hands and a map.

Unhappy

"TCS are shit "

Sounds like they've got real potential for joining "The Usual Suspects" for government outsourcing contracts.

20. ecofeco Silver badge

Remind me again?

Remind me again why anyone would work in British IT?

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Remind me again?

Can not commit on your question. But over here Discover has been running ads for years now about how all their customer service reps are US based. They are also advertising that these reps are will not up sell you and you will reach one relatively quickly. Since I do not have a Discover Card I have no reason to find out how accurate the ads are. Their most famous series were the 'Peggy' ads showing a hapless overseas CSR who barely spoke English.

I was talking to one of my managers about outsourcing. He said that the company prior to my joining did use an outsourcing outfit but found it was not worth the theoretical savings. So now all core programming is done in house by employees with some effort to have regional balance (some in all areas so someone is available during the work day to answer questions).

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Remind me again why anyone would work in British IT?

This is a very good question, I've been asking myself for a while and I have my own personal ITEXIT plan rolling.

3. deconstructionist

remind me again, does anybody still work in British I.T ( THERE FIXED IT)

21. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

But who will TCS outsource to?

22. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

" But who will TCS outsource to?"

"Hello. TCS Lagos. My name is William. What is the nature of your query. By the way can I have your bank details for our records please."

People assume it can't get worse.

You know what happens when people assume things.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is so sad for the people impacted negatviely

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon