back to article Oracle asks for more time to finish Java 9

Oracle's asked for more time to sort out Java 9 in light of the community's rejection of the proposed Java Platform Module System. The chief architect of Big Red's Java Platform Group, Mark Reinhold, has hit the openjdk mailing list to address the vote against JPMS (JSR 376 , aka “Jigsaw”) due to land with JDK 9. In his post …

1. Hans 1
    Joke

Jigsaw ?

Eight weeks needed to sort out missing pieces of Jigsaw platform module system.

Could they not just look under the table or rug ? That's were my kids "hide/lose" jigsaw pieces ...

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Please pull the pull now

We don't need to wait - finish Java off now, take it back behind the shed and bury it. The world will be a safer place.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: Please pull the pull now

You crazy kids with your wacky ideas. Why don't you go off and rediscover functional programming for a bit and leave the comments for the big boys.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Please pull the pull now

Indeed Oracle, take as long as you like, I really don't care because the only Java activity I get involved in is removing it from anywhere I find it.

3. phuzz Silver badge
    Trollface

The problem Oracle were having is that Java was only using 90% of the CPU just to create a dialogue box, and they wanted to work on the code until it was on parity with earlier versions of Java, ie 100% CPU usage.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Two thumbs down?

Hey everyone! Look, I've managed to find both of the people who like Java!

2. SharkNose

Dialogue boxes? Seriously, who writes UIs using Java any more?

4. stephanh

progress in programming language design

========Hello, world in Cobol========

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

PROGRAM-ID. HELLO-WORLD.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.

DISPLAY 'Hello world!'.

STOP RUN.

========Hello, world in Java========

public class HelloWorld {

public static void main(String[] args) {

System.out.println("Hello, World");

}

}

=================================

Clearly a great improvement.

Stephan

1. richardcox13
      Boffin

Re: progress in programming language design

That's not Java: no GreetingFactory or PlanetFactory (the latter obtained from the SolarSystemFactory of course).

2. cjcox

Re: progress in programming language design

echo "Hello, World"

5. Colin Brett
    Coat

Regrets ...

I wonder if Oracle are regretting buying Sun?

Colin

6. ForthIsNotDead

what's wrong with java 8?

Err, actually, it's fine. No need to answer that. No really!

7. ForthIsNotDead

Comrades

"This vote does not mean that JSR 376 is dead, nor that Jigsaw has been rejected. It only means that the Executive Committee raised a number of concerns that it wanted the JSR 376 Expert Group (EG) to address.”

Reading that, why am I reminded of Breshnev and Cruschev?

1. Oh Homer
      Linux

Re: Comrades

The bureaucracy in Java is the consequence of Sun moving the reference implementation to OpenJDK, a fact that I'm sure Oracle finds extremely irritating, given their clearly hostile attitude toward open source (and their apparent failure to understand what it means).

8. cjcox

In a surprise move

In a surprise move, it has been decided to drop the platform altogether. Java 6 will stick around since there are so many things dependent upon it. But only for an extra year. Everything else has 6 mos. to convert to something better, more portable, more secure and more maintainable.

..... hey... I guy can dream....

9. freddofrog

Remove Java? really? I'm just not sure to what..

I'm no Java lover but when people (probably with a lot more dev experience than me) write that they want Java to die and we should all be using something better and more portable etc, what do you mean? There are *so* many new languages and ecosystems around, and lots of shouting about 'my shiny new exciting language is better than yours' but for enterprise systems what would you actually use? Which language with a mature testing culture, eco system, strong open library, etc.? If you were building a dev team today, which common language would you like to enforce?

Again, I'm not being passive aggressive, it's a genuine question.

1. stephanh

Re: Remove Java? really? I'm just not sure to what..

I'd say C++ for performance-critical stuff, Python for the rest. Both languages are considerably more expressive than Java. Also more portable. Incidentally both are actually older than Java.

For GUI work I'd recommend (Py)Qt.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like