back to article Ad watchdog bites Plusnet over 'unintelligible' radio ads

Plusnet has been rapped over the knuckles by the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority after the regulator ruled the terms and conditions of its radio ads were too garbled to understand. The two ads, broadcast in March this year, were straightforward plugs for Plusnet’s ISP wares. Someone complained to the ASA, saying that the …

1. Paratrooping Parrot
    Mushroom

But no fine?

I bet they weren't fined.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But no fine?

The ASA doesn't have the ability to fine anybody, just require changes to ads or stop them being published again.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: But no fine?

There's no consequences for breaching ASA rules whatsoever.

Just "don't run that advert again", issued months after the end of the advert finished running.

That's like the DVLA revoking your driving licence a few years after your funeral.

2. Pangasinan Philippines

It's the norm in Philippines

"Ifsymptomspersistconsultyourdoctor"

As for the effectiveness of some of the medicines advertised here, well that's another matter.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Three Roaming' Advert just as deceptive, 'Free roaming' isn't what you heard.

Three has an have an advert highlighting the benefits of 'Three Roaming', yes that deceptive play on words between Free Roaming and Three Roaming. Clever hey? Er, well No. This is just the same as the plus.net deception, even worse in my opinion.

It talks up Three / "Free at Home" Roaming service but fails to mention that FaH only applies to certain contracts and not to "essentials" contacts or PAYG, both require Add-ons/additional payment to get the benefits of TaH.

Even has the cheek to say no additional costs. Needs reporting too but I've only seen it once between ITV/CH4 online content , but that was annoying enough.

4. Peter Galbavy

... I think there are far more deceptive things going on with Plusnet. Many outside the industry have no clue that they are just a cuddly marketing vision of BT, pushing instead the whole "we love customers and customers (who we filtered out in surveys) say they love us" nonsense.

5. sitta_europea Silver badge

Does anybody still think that advertisements are NOT intended to deceive?

How else are they going to catch you?

6. 0laf

Plusnet! We're shite, but so is everyone else.

[Your experience of this or other vendors may vary]

7. John 61
    Facepalm

Who in their right mind...

would buy anything off the strength of a radio advert? What is the point of advertising on the radio anyway? Ywllntownthecar (in car sales adverts) is a phrase I hear often when I can hear the radio in the office. Most of the time it's drowned out by 10 printers, a massive shredder and a recently extended mailing machine. Serious heavy metal to fold bits of paper.

8. Stratman

I suppose it's the audio equivalent of

the squashed up, fine lined font over a fussy background they all use on television to prevent you reading the legal stuff they don't want you to know.

9. Firvulag
    Paris Hilton

Speedy though

To be fair I'm on their fast fibre and my speed tests are often over 80Mb which is faster then the contracted 75.

Paris because its over quickly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like