back to article Azure Portal rejects Firefox after certificate revocation SNAFU

Microsoft's Azure Portal has become hostile to some clients, especially the Firefox browser. The issue emerged at around 0900 GMT on Monday and meant that Firefox-wielding Azure users who wanted to manage their cloudy stuff with their preferred browser couldn't do so. 14 hours into the incident and Microsoft's status page now …

1. Ian Neal

Impacts other MS services

According to the MS Office 365 Service Status portal, https://portal.office.com/servicestatus , it is also causing problems on outlook.com (aka hotmail) and yammer.com

Current status: We identified a certificate issue that is causing the problem, and we're restarting affected systems to force a certificate update. We anticipate that restarting affected systems will take several hours, but we're working to expedite this as much as possible. Users will continue to experience service restoration as the affected systems are restarted.

Start time: Sunday, May 28, 2017, at 9:40 PM UTC

Next update by: Tuesday, May 30, 2017, at 1:00 AM UTC

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Impacts other MS services

we're restarting affected systems to force a certificate update

Yup. Several decades in, and rebooting the entire machinery is still the main solution to Microsoft problems. I can recall places where I've worked where we did an annual reboot just to clear out some dead wood and verify recovery processes still worked as required, but I've never seen a Windows admin reach those giddy highs of reliability without extensive hardware support like clustering.

I even worked somewhere where we "convinced" two Dell desktops to be test servers (we couldn't get a budget for servers so we got creative instead) and we postponed an update for a week just so we could annoy the Windows sysadmins with an uptime of a full year. Granted, they were just guinea pigs for some experiments, but we're talking about very basic machinery here. I think we were running SuSE for that, but whatever it was, it was solid. They also happily thumbed their nose at the ILoveYou virus that zapped the rest of the company's IT for almost a week :).

So, please feel free to continue using Windowsy stuff, just don\t come crying when it's down once again. We like uptime :).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Rebooted a windows box the other day after 6 years of uptime.

Forgot it was there, so bloody reliable, just ticking away doing it's stuff.

Have Linux stuff that needs to be rebooted every few months.

It's usually the not the OS that's the issue, but the crap application on top.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

None of the Windows patches over the last six years required a reboot?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So, please feel free to continue using Windowsy stuff, just don\t come crying when it's down once again. We like uptime :)."

Just had to restart a couple of Windows 2003 Servers with an uptime of over 7 years as part of migrating them. None of those ghost process problems that need a reboot all the time like on *Nix with Windows....

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Yup. Several decades in, and rebooting the entire machinery is still the main solution to Microsoft problems."

I didn't know Akamai's CDN had migrated to Windows. Can't say I'm surprised though!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Firefox doesn't use the OS certificate store

Wild ass guess, but I would think that this is possibly due to Firefox maintaing its own certifcate store instead of using the one built into the OS that all other browsers use.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Firefox doesn't use the OS certificate store

And what's that got to do with the price of fish? You can configure Firefox 49 or above to use Windows' certificate store if you must.

Firefox seems to be rejecting a malformed certificate, the rest don't seem to be. That's a point in Firefox's favour.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Firefox doesn't use the OS certificate store

I wan't offering an opinion on Firefox either way, simply offering a suggestion as to why Firefox is affected but other browsers are not. I was not aware that Firefox can now be configured to use the Microsoft store. If it can, then it would have been interesting to configure it to do this and see if the issue still occurred.

3. Captain DaFt

"Satya Nadella's Microsoft has almost completely lost interest in petty swings at rivals."

Yeah, that's the ticket!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still affecting Palemoon

An error occurred during a connection to www.bing.com.

Invalid OCSP signing certificate in OCSP response.

(Error code: sec_error_ocsp_invalid_signing_cert)

5. fobobob

Priorities

"There's no evidence this is anything other than a cock-up: Satya Nadella's Microsoft has almost completely lost interest in petty swings at rivals."

They're clearly too busy experimenting with their users' computers to have any time or resources to go after anyone right now. /not-quite-not-sarcasm

6. walshy002000

Wasn't just Azure Portal, had same issues with other MS sites, including outlook.com. Curious how wide it was.

1. EddieD

Last time this happened (that I know of) Microsoft pointed the finger at Akamai, as they handle the certificates - I wonder if this has happened again, but this time Microsoft aren't pointing at them.

I had to make a temporary change in about:config (and I was most disappointed as there were no dragons) to change security.ssl.enable_ocsp_must_staple;true to false, this morning I changed it back.

Certificates do seem to cause problems for many people, not just Microsoft - recently my employer changed the certificate on the wifi, and the queues I had on the helpdesk were formidable.

7. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

firefox with Azure Portal

I'm surprised anyone is using FF with the Azure Portal - so slow. Only works well with Edge and Chrome.

8. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Not a good week for MSFT

So they broke Azure, and older OSes are easily crashed. The former may be accidental, but given the slow uptake of Windows 10 the latter smells fishy to me...

9. Hans 1

I have been using foutlook for a week now, since MS crap does not work in FF anymore ... Chrome can be used, does user agent switcher work around this ?

Note, I don't trust chrome, nor edge ...

10. dmacleo

technet stuff tossing error for me yesterday is ok today

11. Hans 1
    Coffee/keyboard

I tried with Chrome this morning:

We're sorry, sign-in isn't working right now. But we're on it! Please try again later.

If this problem persists, contact your support team and include these technical details:

Correlation ID: ---------xxxx---------

Date and Time: 5/31/2017 12:22:57 AM

URL: https://xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/personal/john-doe_example_com/Documents/SomeFolder

User: jdoe@example.com

Issue Type: Unknown issue.

Note, I have anonymized the above data, even date/time.

Issue Type: Unknown issue. <---- priceless error-handling genius

A couple more days, and it's Office 330 for me ... and we are still in May. By year end, will it go below Office 300 ?

Yours,

Hans 1

Microsoft MHP

Adobe MHP

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like