back to article Drones over London caused aviation chaos, pilots' reports reveal

A pair of errant drones over East London caused so much airspace disruption that flights to Heathrow had to be diverted for fear of collision, it has emerged. Airprox reports filed by captains of airliners flying over London on 20 November last year, freshly published by the UK Airprox Board (UKAB), reveal how air traffic …

1. collinsl Bronze badge

TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) relies on the TCAS systems on both planes communicating with each other so they can co-ordinate which way to tell the pilots to go (IE one will say climb and the one in the other plane will say descend).

TCAS is only fitted to commercial jets and some general aviation planes. It is not required for VFR-only (Visual flight rules) planes like little Cessnas or drones etc.

It is not based on the size of the opposing plane and does not detect planes which do not themselves have a working TCAS or transponder system.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Inevitable

I guess we will have to wait for a 'heavy' A380 to lose an engine just after takeoff before anyone does anything to stop these idiots.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

UFO's, as in aliens. Gov't cover up claiming it was human controlled drones. Pah !!

1. Gordon Pryra
      Alien

Exactly

And as my Alien Overlord, I both fear you and believe you over the current Uk.Gov

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Drones flying outside the permitted limits (generally 400ft and within visual range for drones under 7kg in weight) is an increasing problem.

Drone in that category is NOT 2m in size as reported by the 777 pilot. 2m in size capable of this altitude is more like 20kg+ - something which costs an arm, a leg and a prosthetic and is operated by a commercial operator which should have been traceable. It was flying illegally by all means as it had its lights disabled according to the report.

Incidents like this has nothing to do with idiots flying their latest toy from Maplin. Professional papparazzi(*), private eyes, etc are more likely suspects. None of them gives a flying f*** about human life and the law anyway and they will continue to fly regardless of regs. They just used to do that with helicopters in the past. They now do it with drones. Everything for that priceless picture of one "starlet" kissing the wrong arse, wife, etc. Whatever pays the wages.

(*)That is why it also had its lights disabled by the way

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Drone in that category is NOT 2m in size as reported by the 777 pilot. 2m in size capable of this altitude is more like 20kg+ "

Yep, that sort of leaped out the page at me too. That is NOT a hobby device. It's a pro level device and possibly already covered by the large model regs anyway if it's really as large as the pilot reported, not to mention it was almost certainly being used in a commercial way so other rules also apply.

IIRC a large "model" aircraft over 20kg is classed as a full sized "normal" aircraft (with exemptions) and requires flight certification and notification of when and where flying.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Drone in that category is NOT 2m in size"

I would have thought that at 2m in size it would be showing up on radar if it were constructed like a drone. In addition to that "spherical" isn't a stealth shape in so far as radar is concerned. i.e. there is a high probability these were something like weather balloons with no radar reflector added on.

Blame the local raspberry pi maker crowd...

5. DJ Smiley

No matter how you approach it.....

It's difficult to see what can be done.

2m across is a pretty big drone, someone some where will of seen this taking off. However the question really is, what do you do about them - you can't just 'shoot them down' or any such thing as the danger of it landing on someone is real (even if unlikely) and while the loss of said drone would be a deterrent it still wouldn't stop a bad actor from using one to do some real damage.

I honestly don't see the problem with licencing drone users, the same way HAM radio users are licences - with a test if required. While I believe 'some/most' drone manufacturers are saying they have put in (or are going to put in) means to stop the drones going into these such areas, clearly it hasn't happened yet, or isn't working.

1. collinsl Bronze badge

Re: No matter how you approach it.....

The problem there is that you can buy the drones without a licence, and by the sounds of it these operators would just keep operating without ever applying for one regardless of whether a license was required or not.

It's a similar problem to driving licenses - whilst most people will pass their driving tests and keep their licenses up to date, some people won't and will buy a car off a "mate" for £200 and will then drive with no insurance, no MOT, often with bald tyres and other damage.

The people who would endanger a plane, I suspect, wouldn't care about licenses because it's obvious they don't give two hoots anyway.

6. werdsmith Silver badge

"two white, orb shaped objects, with no lights or visible markings

Otherwise known as balloons.

1. collinsl Bronze badge

> "two white, orb shaped objects, with no lights or visible markings

> Otherwise known as balloons.

Swamp Gas

1. Alister

> "two white, orb shaped objects, with no lights or visible markings

> Otherwise known as balloons.

> Swamp Gas

The Light from Venus

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Or plastic carrier bags

Or chinese lanterns.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Chinese lanterns do have a light. The clue is in the word "lantern".

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

...not once the flame goes out...

7. Andy 73 Silver badge

Hmmm...

Unfortunately, since drones have become high profile, they're the first thing that get blamed when pilots see something. Notably UFO sightings have dropped in inverse proportion...

In this case something 2m across, 'balloon like' and at 5,000+ feet is NOT a drone of any sort that you can buy or even build without serious commitment. Any one of those descriptions rules out just about anything available commercially unless you're spending tens of thousands of pounds or work for the military. The largest commercial drones are under half that size, and most would struggle to reach 5,000 due to battery limitations.

So either, it's someone with Bond-villain levels of commitment and finance, or it's not a drone. The most likely suspect is either a hobbyist playing with high altitude baloons, or a stray party prop.

Of course, we could just ban/license/arrest everyone flying a drone - but it has to be pointed out that the commitment to stupidity that would be needed to cause an incident like this would not be stopped by harassing kids playing with toys, or licensed drone operators doing their jobs.

Perhaps a first step would be to put a gimbal mounted high resolution camera on each plane so that unexpected objects can be accurately identified and the threat assessed? Compared with the cost of any of the alternatives, a few hundred quid for a camera would not be so unreasonable.

1. collinsl Bronze badge

Re: Hmmm...

> Perhaps a first step would be to put a gimbal mounted high resolution camera on each plane

The problem there is that your £400 camera (let's say) has to work at high altitude, at -80 degrees C or so, has to not impact on airflow over the plane, has to not cause drag so as to increase fuel consumption, has to survive 600mph-ish winds, and on top of all that it has to be tested and tested and tested again and approved and regulated and tied up in 11 billion sheets of paperwork tied up with miles of red tape.

By the time your device is approved for installation on commercial air traffic it will be 2030 at the earliest and the cost per unit will have spiralled to about £140,000

And then the airlines are free to decide that the cost isn't worth it, nor are the maintenance costs, and that it doesn't deliver that much benefit to begin with.

1. Cynic_999

So put the cameras inside the cockpit. After all, if the pilot saw the object, it must have been visible through the window ... HD cameras that record to SD card have been available for years, and are small enough that they would not interfere with anything.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Sure, GoPros have a demonstrated ability to work at high altitude at very cold temps (at least -50) and you can put them in a very small acrylic dome to avoid drag and wind issues. There's lots of tiny lightweight pan/tilt units for it already.

Regulatory paperwork is up to you.

1. EddieD

Not the Hero 3.

Myself and the late, and very lamented, Lester agreed that the Hero 3's thermal window was ludicrously small.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Notably UFO sightings have dropped in inverse proportion..."

That, and bird sightings.

8. regbadgerer

You can get some pretty big helium party balloons...

Time airliners starting get dashcams. Otherwise, who says they're drones?

At the speed they're travelling the pilot's not going to get much chance to look, especially given that they're (hopefully) concentrating on landing, but a half decent video would clear it up.

9. tedleaf

I call bs,provide some credible evidence.

It gives pilots/airlines the perfect excuse for covering all sorts of things,I suspect boredom of flight crews are behind many of these "reports" .

Why has nobody been able to show any hard evidence,such as even grainy pics from smartphones ?

Plastic carrier bags and party sized balloons should pose no threat to even small single engine ultra lights,let alone a huge four engine accident waiting to happen like a 380..

As for ordinary "domestic" drones being able to get to 10k altitude,most just don't have the battery capacity to fly the time it would take to get to that kind of height and most would be well out of touch of controller and should go in auto home mode..

How many 2m drones are there in private hands in the UK ?

I would suggest very few,even if there are more,why no sigjting reports from the public on the ground ?

1. Hollerithevo

Bored pilots? Really?

With London airports being hugely busy and pilots having to be on the alert in heavily trafficked skies, do you really think that these professional would waste time with mischievous and bogus reports? That they would have their smartphones to hand to snap a photo or two? I have to say, you have a very bizarre world-view.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Bored pilots? Really?

do you really think that these professional would waste time with mischievous and bogus reports?

I could believe it if they were wanting to pursue an agenda and thought the circumstances were safe to do that.

I would probably even support them in believing something must be done before the worse happens while arguing the ends justifies the means.

It's not how professionals should behave but, if professionals are being ignored, it would be wrong of them to simply ignore the issue as professionals.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Bored pilots? Really?

Honestly, I have to wonder this same thing. Planes encountering identifiable drones at speed and altitude? I have to wonder if at least some of these complaints are not a group of airline pilots that are trying to launch a pre-emptive strike on personal drone ownership to clear them out of the skies.

1) Drones being seen at 4K+ feet. Most drones would be out of their control radius by then. And also, any private drone owner would know that if something happened at that altitude, they would lose their drone to damage or it crashing somewhere beyond their ability to see and recover.

2) Very large drones that are 1-2 meters in size. How many people realistically buy these? Something that size would be very expensive.

This sounds a lot like a problem with a very small subset of drone owners, and these extreme examples are being used to make things difficult for average hobbyists.

2. 2Nick3

"Plastic carrier bags and party sized balloons should pose no threat to even small single engine ultra lights,let alone a huge four engine accident waiting to happen like a 380.."

Fouling the prop on a single engine light aircraft would cause a major problem - it just became a glider (and not an efficient one with a fouled, unfeathered prop). And the pilot now has to find a suitable place to land within the glide range (which decreases with any maneuvering they do) while also keeping the plane above stall speed (which increases during maneuvering).

1. Cynic_999

"Fouling the prop on a single engine light aircraft would cause a major problem"

The prop of a light aircraft will take your arm off at idle. It is hardly going to be "fouled" by a plastic bag or child's balloon.

A helicopter OTOH could have a problem because e.g. a plastic refuse bag can cause sufficient imbalance if wrapped around a blade to need to land PDQ.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Gavin Chester

"One described the drone as five feet across, while another said it passed within 50 metres of his airliner."

"A Boeing 777 pilot reported a "large white drone, about 2m across and with four 'prongs'" "

These are not the likes of a typical off the shelf hobbyist machine like the DJI Phantom range, which is about 40 or so centimeters across. I doubt anyone would be able to see a 40cm object half a nautical mile away if you are traveling and 150+MPH.

Yes there are idiots out there flying like twonks, and they deserve to be caught. But a 2m wide drone is not the sort of thing you can buy off the shelf at Maplins, so either the pilots are mistaken, or if it really was a drone, it's most likely commercial or military, not a hobbyist.

1. GingerOne

Not one piece of photographic evidence? Okay so not every member of each plane's flight crew and passengers have their smartphones or cameras at the ready all the time but I find it hard to beleive that no one has ever taken a photo of one of these drones, ever. Not even a passenger accidentally photographing a drone whilest taking photos as they come in in to land or take-off?

1. 's water music

cameras at the ready

Not one piece of photographic evidence?

Pilots with cameras at the ready? What could possibly go wrong?

1. GingerOne

Re: cameras at the ready

I'm not suggest pilots have cameras at the ready but were I a pilot or co-pilot and I saw what I though to be a drone, flying dangerously close (read a few hundred or even thousand metres away) then I might think to pull my phone out of my pocket and take a quick snap. That's all I'm saying. To quote the old saying "pics or it didn't happen". Without any evidence I call bullshit.

1. Mark 65

Re: cameras at the ready

If you were a pilot of a commercial airliner and you saw a drone dangerously close then you'd think to pull your phone out of your (presumably trouser) pocket and take a quick snap? Me? I'd be thinking "best avoid that fucker" and take evasive action.

11. Robin Bradshaw

A 2m Drone! seems legit.

Whilst not being impossible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIi_vuzmOSY

Its somewhat improbable unless its some ridiculously expensive commercial thing, i just measured my cheerson cx-20 and its about 40cm across.

Given the description of "orb shaped objects" its likely either weather balloons or my childhood favourite of bin bags cut up and taped together to make a balloon envelope and burning hexamine tablets wired into the bottom to make a diy hot air balloon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OjB6ia5v0c , although these days you can just buy environmentally unfriendly sky lanterns off ebay but not that big i think.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Pinch of salt with some of these reports....

"In April, police were called after a British Airways pilot reported that his plane had been struck by a drone as it approached Heathrow airport, but it was later determined that the object was not an unmanned aircraft. The plane landed safely."

It was actually later believed to be a carrier bad or similar.

13. JaitcH
    WTF?

Seems pilots using Heathrow can't tell the difference between DRONES and UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS

Heathrow, notwithstanding advertising to the contrary, is NOT the busiest airport in the world but it sure seems to have the highest complaints worldwide.

There also seems to be problems. Pilot's eyes have focusing problems in certain circumstances - and generally focus fairly close in when this occurs. Additionally, how the hell can the aforementioned pilots focus on a relatively small, cloud-coloured object when travelling at several hundred miles per hour?

Personally, I think they lie (aka 'alternative truth') because if near misses between private aircraft (like a Cessna) and a bloody great 777 occur because 'they didn't see each other' how can they see drones?

Could they be high-flying Canada geese?

14. Palpy

Giant drones. Kind of like --

-- Attack of the Killer Wasp Woman.

Not at all suggesting this is the device involved, but: Goliath Quadcopter project. 150 lbs, 30 hp gas engine. Still in development as a hobbyist project.

Looks like the Night Lions quad is one of the bigger off-the-shelf models, 37.5-inch span, 5 lbs.

For a cool $4800 or so you can get a 39-inch recon drone from FoxTech. It flies for an hour and has a white ellipsoidal body with 4 rotors. 1.7 kg body weight and capable of lifting a 3 kg payload,

Can be quite hard to estimate size with no nearby points of reference, but airline pilots would certainly be better at it than I would expect to be myself.

15. Johndoe888

400 foot rule

Applys to over 7kg, below 7kg there is no height limit

1. Andy 73 Silver badge

Re: 400 foot rule

That's not true. Not least because you must fly within line of sight unless you have the appropriate license. Small drones get impossible to see at quite short distances. The drone code is quite clear about restrictions to operators: http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

16. Gene Cash Silver badge

Drone identification chart for airline pilots:

http://www.phantompilots.com/attachments/image-jpeg.50959/

17. Peter Christy

EU Rules

The "EU Rules" (actually EASA) being considered appear to have little to do with safety around airports. They are more concerned with clearing the airspace below 400ft so that the military / police / Amazon / etc can fill it with their own drones.

The model aircraft community appear to be collateral damage in all of this, as EASA seem unable to distinguish between an autonomous or semi-autonomous drone, and a model aircraft which can require as much skill to fly as a full-sized aircraft.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: EU Rules

Alternatively they could of course move the airports away from where people live.

Then they could jam every frequency accept their own around the region, also handy against remote control explosives. Perhaps something like the old hospital radio with one dipole being the perimeter.

The idea of a aircraft coming down in a heavy populated has been played to death in movies and yet we still seem to be waiting for a few thousand to die "unexpectedly" before they stop putting airports in/close to cities.

1. DropBear

"Alternatively they could of course move the airports away from where people live."

You Sir are a mole from the cab driver syndicate and I claim my five pounds!

2. Meph

"Alternatively they could of course move the airports away from where people live."

If you dig back through city planning records far enough, you'll probably find that most airports were originally some distance away from the population. Unfortunately the kind of thing that makes land highly sought after for aviation purposes also makes it attractive to residential land developers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like