back to article Gravitational waves permanently change spacetime, say astroboffins

A team of physicists has proposed a new idea about gravitational waves that will allow other researchers to find more exotic objects in space. Gravitational waves, which were predicted by Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity, were finally detected in September 2015. These waves are produced as objects in space accelerate …

1. Chemist

"the Australian Research Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery,"

That's a hell of a title for any institute !

1. Irving Lypshytz

You can only be a "Centre of Excellence" ...

... if someone else calls you that ...

1. Mark 85

Re: You can only be a "Centre of Excellence" ...

Yep. I've worked in two companies that played the same game for their departments... "Center for IT

Excellence", "Center for Marketing Excellence", and "Center for Janitorial Excellence" among the mess. Fortunately, the "Excellence" was dropped as some (many?) employees and customers found the title to be a tad over the top in the BS department.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Centre of Excellence" is just Newspeak for "Institute".

In the olden days, it would simply have been "ARID Gravwy" *)

(Austrylian Research Institute for Discovery of Gravitoitional Wyves)

No worries, though.

*) with a bit more work, might we make it to VEGEMITE?

1. breakfast Silver badge
            Trollface

We can go one better: "Majestic Australian Ray Mass Institute of Technical Excellence"

Yes, I went there.

2. CentralCoasty

"Australian Research Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery"......... so does that mean there is also an Australia Research Centre for Gravitational Wave Discovery?

1. Michael Thibault

"... so does that mean there is also an Australia Research Centre for Gravitational Wave Discovery?"

Or does that mean that they renamed it some time after it opened? Hope so. Having two 'gravitational wave research centres' would have confused those in the Redundancy Department of Redundancies.

1. handleoclast
          Coat

Two research centres

Having two 'gravitational wave research centres' would have confused those in the Redundancy Department of Redundancies.

Actually, you need two research centres. Set at right angles. With a research splitter between them. And the mirrors at the ends. That's how interferometry works.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Two research centres

I bet the guys at the "Australian Research Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery" are making fun of the guys at the "Australian Centre for Discovering Gravitational Waves for Researchers Who Aren't That Good At It and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too" all the time.

3. breakfast Silver badge
      Thumb Up

The name can be improved upon, however: The Australian Research Society of Excellence, Gravity Rays And Bosons or something along those lines.

1. DropBear
        Trollface

"The name can be improved upon, however"

...oooh, sneaky...

2. Number6

So was it gravity waves that caused the sinkhole right outside Trump's Florida golf resort today?

1. Mark 85
      Devil

Depends.. was there a loud voice from the heavens saying "Damn... missed him again."?

3. Johnny Canuck

So,

like a skid mark in space-time?

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: So,

Hmm. I read it as meaning that the aether is thixotropic . You never know... dark matter (or maybe dark aether) may end up being anti-thixotropic, solving lots of conundra.

<aside>Igor, pass me my ergometer!</aside>

2. Sykowasp

Re: So,

More like a stretch mark.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

Astonishing. I think.

Sort of like building a seismometer that operates at 0.1Hz and then making it operate at voice frequencies.

If I understand correctly.

5. Herby
    Coat

Catch a wave....

And you are sitting on top of the world!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stretch marks are normal

Common when birthing stars and galaxies.

7. Sanguma

stretching effects on quantum foam? Eddy's in the Space-Time Continuum?

First question that popped into my head, honest. But since the quantum foam seems to be a Planck-sized part of the continuum, it seemed a fair question. If space stretches, there should be more quantum foam.

1. hplasm
      Pint

Re: stretching effects on quantum foam? Eddy's in the Space-Time Continuum?

Less Quantum Foam- more Quantum Beer!

1. Bert 1

And this is his sofa, is it?

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Can I use this quantum foam to upholster my Chesterfield?

1. Kernel

"Can I use this quantum foam to upholster my Chesterfield?"

Only if you're going to sit on it while watching a cricket match, preferably one that's part of an Ashes test series..

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps this is the 'dark energy' that causes inflation?

Back when the universe was young, there was a far greater concentration of mass, which would lead to more 'gravitational waves per cubic light year' than we have today.

The problem with this theory is that it would account for a lot of inflation early, which we observed, which slowed as the universe aged and the average density of the universe decreased, which we observed, but not the 'expansion is accelerating' observation from last week's astroboffin article. Well unless the effect is somehow cumulative, like how repeatedly stroking a cat in winter builds up more and more static electricity in its fur, until it gets annoyed and runs away.

9. The Jon

“orphan memory”

So, is this like homoeopathy, but on a universal scale?

1. Alien8n

Re: “orphan memory”

More like Batman...

2. Stratman

I was going to post the same thing but as ever, too slow.

Just reading the article and ignoring specific references to gravitation, it really does sound like an apologist for homeopathy desperately trying to convince the world he's a real doctor.

3. Mike Moyle

That was actually my first thought: "How long before the Loony Liberation Front jumps on this to 'explain' how homeopathy 'works'?".

10. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Preprint!

It's like the days of Lucy Sheriff all over again. :roll:

11. Norman123

What is space made of if it can record/preserve memory of events? Memory stick or vinyl? ;))

1. DropBear
      Trollface

No idea, but "my record player has multi-kilometre interferometer arms and the platter is the size of a planet" definitely carries an enviable amount of hipster cred...

12. Bucky 2

They did this on ST:TNG. The episode was called "Force of Nature." It was the one where they found out that warp drive damages space.

Or it could just be tire tracks, I guess. But I'm still hoping for subspace rift.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon