back to article Formation Data Systems? More like formatted data systems: Upstart shuts down

Startup Formation Data Systems has shuttered its operations, we're told. Sources familiar with the matter said it closed down on May 16. MArk_Lewis Boss ... Mark Lewis Formation was cofounded in 2013 by chairman and CEO Mark Lewis and chief operating officer Andy Jenks, who had been an entrepreneur in residence at EMC …

1. Nate Amsden

trying to do too much

looks like they, along with some other startups out there are just trying to do too much when it comes to storage. Scale out, scale up, hybrid, hyper converged, file and block etc etc.. it's hard enough to get one of those working right. Anything I read that says someone is trying to do it all I can't help but just ignore them, too scary a thought having that much complexity in the code base for a storage company.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: trying to do too much

That's why some of the All Flash startups were so succesful... they did All Flash and not much else.

1. Androgynous Cow Herd

Re: trying to do too much

I think you'll find that almost all of the All Flash startups were only successful at burning VC money and generating losses.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

"Actively pursuing new opportunities"

I must remember that is the tech executive euphemism for being out of work.

Every day reading The Register teaches me something new.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon