back to article ZX Spectrum reboot firm slapped with £52k court costs repayment order

Troubled ZX Spectrum reboot firm Retro Computers Ltd has been ordered to repay two of its shareholders’ £52,000 legal fees by the end of this month. The costs order was made by the Senior Courts Cost Office on Tuesday (16th). It relates to an injunction that former RCL directors Paul Andrews and Chris Smith took out last year …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

A Invalid argument, 0:1

I hope this text was in the Judge's summing up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RetroPi on a Raspberry Pi

£30 - just add ROMs.

Also includes a multitude of other home PC and console emulators built in.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: RetroPi on a Raspberry Pi

More accurately:

Just add TZX's.

No ROMs required.

3. fnusnu

Does anyone care any more?

1. DropBear

No idea. I mean, sure, a whole new Dizzy is coming out and everything but I'm sure it's all just crickets and tumbleweed...

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

There's still plenty of entertainment left in RCL.

Well, for those of us who've never given them any money anyway.

4. Matthew Smith

Sigh. Back in the day it was 'My Speccy is better than your Commodore'. And we'd show them our Manic Miner. And they'd show us their Last Ninja. And everyone would go home happily, peacefully, thinking they'd won. All this nasty stuff is a stain on the memory of the Spectrum.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

THE Matthew Smith who coded Manic Miner?!

You are my hero! 48k of spritey joy.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
        Happy

I wish Peter Liepa and Richard Garriott would also join in on the discussion!

1. Matt 21

I don't wish to spoil the party but the BBC micro is better than both of them.

By the way, my Dad is bigger than yours! So, put that in your pipe and smoke it!

1. pmb00cs

One sports day when I was little a man walked up to my father and asked "Are you Daniel's father?" (my brother) and when my dad said yes, the man turned to his son and said "in future you fight your own battles"

It was pretty awesome growing up with the tallest dad in the school :P

2. Stuart Elliott

RE: Matthew Smith

6031769 - thank you!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: Matthew Smith

Writetyper for Jet Set Willy IIRC.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: Matthew Smith

I saw what you did!

Unlimited thank you's.

;-)

3. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Matthew Smith, the one and only???

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well then

That's them fucked.

Any anyone that paid for a device.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Well then

I ummmed about it and then chose not to because it's IndieGogo, if it were the other kickfarter one I would probably have gone for it.

For the same reason I decided against backing the Gemini new Psion thing, though that has raised over $600K, it's still a "concept" according to their page.

1. alexmcm

Re: Well then

I understand your scepticism, but the Gemini Psion thing looked too good to pass up, so I have gambled on it. The Gemini people send out regular updates, and all seems to be proceeding so far. They have their manufacturer in China lined up, and are passing on the designs to them next week, so they still think they are on schedule for a release this year.

6. Hans 1
    Meh

Lawyers

Remind me, in the end, who got the cash from the cloud funding for the Vega+ ?

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: Lawyers

The sums are fairly simple. There was £600,000 in the business and the lawyers got £50,000.

If you're a disgruntled investor or customer then you might want to ask where the other £550,000 went.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lawyers

Actually it's a little worse than that, it's been said that £95k was spent by RCL on lawyers making £150k spent...leaving just £450k of your £600k!!

Added to that a rumoured £80k consultancy fee - £370k....

And other speculated and talked about stuff that may or may not be true, that kitty shrinks quickly

7. FuzzyWuzzys

Get GPWIN!

Get one of these little beauts and a stack of ROMS and you can play any emulator you like, plus a lot of the new DirectX all in the palm of your hand.

I remember using a GamePark pocket emu machine many moons ago, until the emu writers got loose on the Sony PSP, all good systems,

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Get GPWIN!

I coded some things up for the GP2X, which also worked on some of its successors.

They were cool little gadgets precisely because they were just Linux and you could run anything on them.

The GPWin looks really enticing, I keep seeing it pop up, but I think things like the OpenPandora have tainted me against trying them.

Problem is, nowadays, that we all carry out full-screen, high-res consoles wherever we go. Occasionally people phone us on them, but other than that...

8. Duffaboy
    Facepalm

Lets face it

We are never going to see the vega in production so its just the good old emulators in stead

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Lets face it

The Vega+ was just going to use the good old emulators anyway....

2. Roq D. Kasba

There is no truth!

You will be running a Vega emulator...closest you can get...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good result

Sounds like the current directors of RCL should be working for government. Bloody minded and hopeless legal appeals, with no regard as to the costs that are stacking up (cos someone else is paying for them) fits the public servant mentality perfectly. Glad they've been found personally liable.

10. Horaced

RCL have an approximate legal bill of 100k to add to this; High Court costs are costly! You'd be betting their imminent demise as an entity, given the lack of corporate filings or headway with promised product (1 year and nothing to show but a pain in the buttons).

Any number of orders may now proceed against them, and dwindling funds will accelerate the exodus to shell partner companies as directors stem further legal actions, to secure what remains of 'ring fenced' funds.

In chess, this is the end game.

1. davidp231

Are those Sheriffs I see coming on the horizon?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon