back to article UK.gov plans to overhaul £6bn in big IT deals 'watered down'

The British government's plans to overhaul £6bn in large IT contracts expiring within the next three years have fallen by the wayside, according to sources. Insiders say the distraction of Brexit and a lack of will by the Government Digital Service under Kevin Cunnington's leadership have been blamed for the watering down of …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a lack of will by the Government Digital Service under Kevin Cunnington's leadership"

Was that all that was lacking?

Latest example of GDS's efforts: go to site to make an appointment suggesting several different slots which,according to the online diary, were available. A few minutes later there's a call back to say none of them were available; the office diary isn't linked to the GDS online version which is consequently out of sync with reality.

1. Joe 35

All you needed was the last bit "out of sync with reality".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In my experience GDS have plenty of will, and plenty of political backing.

It's ability, experience, competence and diplomacy they lack.

1. macjules

Speaking as a (former) GDS dev I can confirm that they all are very experienced indeed .. at not doing anything.

2. monty75

Public sector IT

"needs to be well planned and executed"

I think I've found the problem

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Public sector IT

"I think I've found the problem"

I think you've found two.

2. Orba
      FAIL

Re: Public sector IT

I'd say three problems, plus the staff and equipment...

3. ForthIsNotDead

Probably a good thing...

...seeing as they no longer have any contractors that are willing to work on government contracts.

4. sebt
    WTF?

What a surprise...

"hundreds of contracts expiring this year are being renewed because civil servants are too busy with Brexit to focus on new and better-value tenders."

As if it wasn't enough that Brexit is a total waste of money, time and effort, it's also going to prevent government from even trying (yes, I know - but even trying would be nice) from pouring more money down other, pre-existing total wastes of money, time and effort.

Facepalm.

1. Rich 11

Re: What a surprise...

pouring more money down other, pre-existing total wastes of money, time and effort.

Don't worry! The amount of money saved by cutting back on benefits to carers and raised by chasing the self-employed for minor tax miscalculations will more than make up for the loss.

2. smudge
      Facepalm

Re: What a surprise...

In addition, there will surely have to be a large fortune spent on upgrading systems to handle the new rules, regulations, tariffs and taxes which will be in force in the post-Brexit UK.

And of course we can't start working on that until we have a confirmed, detailed deal.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

TL:DR Ministries find it easier to throw money at 1 big con-tractor than find savings

Finding out who does the real work and hiring them instead.

Who knew?

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

If there's one way to guarantee a low bid

It is letting the incumbent know beforehand that you'll be renewing with them!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like