back to article Travel IT biz reportedly testing 100TB SSDs

Global travel systems business Amadeus is testing 100TB SSDs. Paul Hubert, from the CTO office in Amadeus, revealed the news at a Micron SolidScale launch event in London yesterday. He did not say Amadeus was evaluating Micron's SoldScale all-flash NVMe array, but presented a set of flash system requirements that matched …

1. Pen-y-gors

Hmmmm...

Travel IT biz reportedly testing 100TB SSDs, which could mean – ...

a sudden global shortage of chips?

1. TheVogon

Re: Hmmmm...

"which could mean – oh my gosh – exabyte racks"*

* assuming 854U racks are available by then...

2. Korev Silver badge
    Boffin

Nice setup

Amadeus are a pretty big shop.

>49PB and >54b transactions a day!

3. Blotto Silver badge

"Assume a 2U x 24 drive form factor and we have 2,400TB in 2U, 2.4 petabytes. Stick 40 of these in a rack and we have 960PB, darn close to an exabyte capacity rack."

racks are normally 42u so you'll get 21 of those 2.4 petabyte units in each rack not 40

1. Alistair
      Coat

@Blotto -> you'll want a kickass 1U switch at the top of the rack for this stack.

1. GrumpyOldMan

Bung a backplane across the rack with ludicrous bandwidth and you won't need a switch. As used in blade chassis today.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Andy Tunnah

Oh my.

I am whatever the male version of "moister than an oyster" is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh my.

Drooling? Dribbling?

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

It would be nice...

if even 2TB consumer devices didn't cost an arm an a leg.

Sigh....

Perhaps in 2020?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It would be nice...

More like 2030.

Otherwise I totally agree.

7. Redstone

Now I feel old...

I can still remember feeling pleased with myself for getting an 80MByte hard disk with my shiney new 386 PC. Then less than five years later the IT manager plopped himself down next to me to boast about the massive 2GByte hard drive his new server came with...

8. Named coward

Maths

"...2.4 petabytes. Stick 40 of these in a rack and we have 960PB, darn close to an exabyte capacity rack."

erm?

9. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Cost

Any how much are all these SSDs going to cost?

1. GrumpyOldMan

Re: Cost

More than I can offord, sadly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cost

If you have to ask that then you can't afford them ;)

10. GidaBrasti
    Coat

Imagine what this means

...more garbage kept forever because Big Data will sort it out?

11. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Charles 9

Seriously? According to your own numbers, it crossed the line 5 times over.

24 x 100TB = 2400 TB = 2.4 PB

2.4 PB x 21 units = 50.4 PB raw (or about 100 PB with about 2:1 compression).

Now it makes more sense. Short by a factor of 10-20.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dodgy maths all round...

Aside from the dodgy maths in the article. You can get 48 x 2.5" NVMe in 2U. 52U racks = 24 per rack (allowing some space for fabric kit)

= 4.8PB per 2U

= 115.2PB per rack

So still some way off of an exabyte.

That's based on off the shelf kit. I'd wager someone would make a 2.5" top loading that could hold more like 192 in 3U (assuming they could cool it). That'd be 326.4PB/rack.

13. Tom 7

Data centre in your pocket.

Mind you it will take a time search for a file from your phone.

14. Dan_B

Such immense storage in a rack would no doubt cause a black hole as soon as it is powered up.

1. Charles 9

Don't you mean a supernova as all those electronics heat up at once? Even solid state drives build up heat, and you're talking cramming hundreds of them into a single rack.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not generally as hot as 15k SAS drives though - and you can get 90 of those in 4U without too much issue.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How can you fit 90 15K rust drives in 4U while only 48 of these new-fangled jobs can go in the same space?

15. bdg2

QLC is the daftest idea yet. Only 33% extra storage in return for doubling problems with charge leakage. TLC is pretty stupid too. At least MLC doubled storage capacity compared with SLC.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pure

Pure's FlashBlade doesn't use SSDs, it uses raw flash on their own storage blades, with their own code to talk to the flash chips.

Pure's new all-NVMe FlashArray //X also doesn't use SSDs, they've created their own "flash modules" which again is just the raw flash chips with their own intelligent code talking directly to the flash.

SSDs are soooo last year :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like