back to article Pay attention. We're only going to show you this once: OpenAI coaches robots to copy humans

The ultimate goal in robotics is the ability to train a machine to perform general tasks after it learns from a few examples. OpenAI, a non-profit artificial intelligence research organization, is a step closer to achieving this by applying a new algorithm called one-shot imitation learning to a robot arm. In the demonstration …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Honey, I'm selling the kids and getting a Homebot!

"The goal is to eventually build a general-purpose robot that can help around the house and perform chores such as setting chairs around a table."

You had me at "help around the house." A robot to do household chores and not talk back to you, or expect expensive high-tech gifts for xmas and birthdays?! Where/when/how_much? Never mind how much, I'll sell off one of the kids and replace them with this new bot of it can take out the trash. I'm going to need a maintenance bay for it, and quite frankly, our youngest is not performing as well we would hope. So, make way for the Homebot, and let this be a lesson to the kids who are left; you CAN be replaced, smartypants.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Honey, I'm selling the kids and getting a Homebot!

....well, until AI overlords take over, anyway.

2. macjules

And likewise ... "Well, dear, I am sure that they will be able to automate the job of software developers well before they can automate the job of those who have to clean up after them, feed them and deliver their teenage offspring to/from school."

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Just be sure Mrs. Coward doesn't get the same idea and replaces you with a Husbot2000©®™ (complete with vehicle maintenance, lawn care, and... [ahem] "other" options)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like