back to article BT to axe 4,000 jobs across the globe

BT is to axe 4,000 jobs at worldwide, with profits plunging 19 per cent to £2.4bn during a "challenging" 2016/17 financial year for the former state monopoly. The roles will mainly cover managerial and back office areas, with the company expecting to shave off £300m over two years. This comes a day after industry sources were …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"profits plunged 19%"

Well, if you pay over the odds for football TV rights you're going to have a bad time financially aren't you.

2. wyatt

Clive @ Openreach, you're talking bulls poo. Until you can roll fibre out to city locations, what hope have rural 'not spots'. There's no business case as you've shareholders to keep content.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's no business case as you've shareholders to keep content.

You think that BT are assuming that they'd be footing the full bill? I suspect they're working on the assumption that the partial subsidies for broadband that government and some local authorities have been drip feeding them for years will continue.

2. jaycee331

Well, they've got to announce something that sounds positive to offset a sea of bad news.

But I wouldn't take it too seriously, it's probably nothing more than a sound bite that will amount to nothing anyway.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good News

The sooner BT catastrophically fails and ceases to exist the better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good News

"The sooner BT catastrophically fails and ceases to exist the better."

If Dodo's TalkTalk, crappy Plusnet and the plethora of other 'me too' providers are anything to go by, then no, it wouldn't really get any better.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Good News

Isn't PlusNet a BT brand?

2. Oh Homer
      Flame

Perfect timing

After years of putting up with BT's obscene prices (currently £53-ish per month), for practically no service (I'm one of those unspeakable peasants who has the audacity to not live in the middle of a concrete jungle), I finally switched to another Internet-plus-phone provider, which will give me essentially the same service I had at BT for one third of the price, and that's not even an introductory price that magically goes up after a year, it's forever (barring inflation).

The phone call to BT's retention department ought to be a highly amusing experience. Even the best new customer deal I've seen is still ten quid per month more expensive, and I'm not a new customer. In fact just their "line rental" bullshit alone costs more than the entire package with my new provider.

Good riddance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Re: Perfect timing

>>I finally switched to another Internet-plus-phone provider<<

Which vendor did you choose ?

After 50+ years with BT I'm in the process of either changing BT Voice & Infinity 2 Plans or leaving them entirely.

Last quarter's Voice bill was £180 for a few UK phone calls & line rental.

Landline is required for Infinity 2 which is running at £155/Qtr.

Somewhat excessive. Thieves & robbers !

1. Oh Homer
          Windows

Origin Broadband (I have no affiliation with them).

Actually I would happily have paid A&A more for a better service than I currently pay BT, but sadly they don't serve my area. So this wasn't just about saving money, it was the principle of being ripped off by a multi-billion pound corporation, providing a token service to rural customers for exorbitant prices.

If I'm only deemed worthy of 1990s internet speeds, I don't see why I should pay more than 1990s prices. Simple.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Many thanks.

4. HmmmYes

What BT ethernet issue?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The hunger games comes to BT Sport

I see a new channel coming to BT sport, a Hunger Games / It's a Knockout mashup where you get to fight for your job, sponsorship and streaming rights, talk shows, new revenue streams here we come!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lolololololol

Every single time BTGS gets a new chief, they create an illusion of having something useful to offer by re-structuring and re-aligning. Other than demoralise and disrupt, there's little track record of these every serving any useful purpose. And before that can bed in, it'll happen all over again.

Just maybe, just maybe, this time around they'll finally realise you don't run a lean and effective enterprise by mailing around Excel and Word templates to different fragmented departments to get anything done. Then the requester has to do all the chasing and often you can only deliver for the customer by escalating every fulfilment activity.

They've already had numerous cost transformation programmes. Each time trimming a function within a certain LOB to hit a target, yet never ever considering the productivity loss and difficulties that leaves for every other LOB. I doubt there is much left to trim, and what there is left will hurt the customer directly or indirectly. Saying cuts will come from "back office and management" sounds PR friendly but bear in mind many productive workers (senior techies and PM's) are management grade.

Anonymous because yes, I've worked for these bumbling idiots.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

back office cuts huh

BT sub-outsource a lot of their work to people that really have no idea of the context of their work and therefore produce rubbish.

Most of the back office work in BT is to create the illusion of activity by billing then sub-billing and reallocating costs around - cant see that working as a place to save. It will more than likely increase the number of unpaid invoices due to challenge/inaccuracy.

IMHO they need to look at the way they do business and do a more useful job for their customers rather than being a billing machine that takes customer delivery to a very distant back seat...

and yes, stop asking me if I want to spend a monthly fee to see TV I can already watch for free...and no I am not interested in sport.

8. James 51
    Joke

For the fibre roll out, what we need is a state body with a mandidate to roll this out with universial coverage. They could charge other firms for using the infrastructure they provide. Begin in the big cities and radiate out from there as the fees provide the money for the next wave of investment. As for its name, something to reflect the national and telecoms roll. UK Telecom?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For the fibre roll out, what we need is a state body with a mandidate to roll this out with universial coverage.

Before you get too excited, ask someone who remembers what things were like when telecoms were last in the safe hands of a state monopoly, the GPO. The 1970s: party lines, six months wait for a phone line, and a choice of two handsets (admittedly, with limited colour options). Greedy corporations aren't the only ones who'll spend as little as they possible can on infrastructure.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is just....

A cost adjustment reflective of the cream they've been skimming off the top of the OpenReach jug they no longer have access to...

Nothing to see here - move along ;)

10. tiggity Silver badge

National Stereotypes

Loss due to corruption in an Italian company.

Who would have guessed it?

I'm not a high flying CEO (automatically disqualified due to traits unwanted in CEO such as having morals, paying my fair share of tax, fond of the idea that you shoudl provide a good service to customers etc.)

But I'm fully aware of the concept of due diligence. With that amount of cash inviolved a few people at a reasonably high level were either complicit or stunningly incompetent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: National Stereotypes

Well, Italy was one of the few places where O&M costs included armed guards at PoP and regen sites. I suspect the problem at BT was as you say, possibly not helped by the GS financial engineering to hit those country numbers and thus bonuses.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The 19% less tax management plan.

Corporate tax management isn't like income tax, this headline just means that BT is going to pay a lot less to the exchequer.

Take with one hand and don't give back with the other.

12. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

profits plunging 19 per cent to £2.4bn during a "challenging" 2016/17

I'm really finding it difficult to have sympathy with a company whose profits have "plunged" to "only" £2.5bn and especially having trouble why some of that £2.4bn can't be used to maintain the staffing levels through the hard times and back into the good times, ie not losing the skills base you'll need next year.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like