back to article Attention, Asus RT wireless router owners: Patch your gear now to squash web hijack bugs

Asus RT wireless routers have joined the SOHOpeless list – with poor cross-site request forgery protection affecting 30 variants of the devices. The design blunders, labeled CVE-2017-5891, hit RT-AC and RT-N variants using firmware older than version 3.0.0.4.380.7378. The lack of CSRF protection means that if the user has …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get patching

But first you have to admit you bought a router that was this ugly.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Get patching

If you're going to patch, might be just as quick to upgrade the OS to open source.

1. asdf

Shibby Tomato runs like a champ on the RT-N53 (yeah yeah it sucks but at time I bought, only 5GHz wireless N bridge under $75) I am using as a wireless bridge. Of course I am running version 120 which is several years old but less bloated and more stable at least for me. Finally retired the WRT54G I had running Shibby tomato with the 2.4 linux kernel. That thing would boot up in 10 seconds flat even with a much slower cpu.

1. streaky

AdvancedTomato - based on shibby's builds but with a way way better ui.

1. asdf

>AdvancedTomato - based on shibby's builds but with a way way better ui.

Yeah I tried that one and its great to have more options but imho its simply another flat millennial html5 UI made for your phone using the latest greatest that just bloats things up and slows down the router's primary purpose. The older less bloated UI works just fine for me (but then again pretty much definition of router nerd who does most stuff with the CLI anyway) but like I say horses for courses.

2. phuzz Silver badge
        Linux

The OS is already open source, you can find it on the Asus web site (for example, here's the code for the RT-N66U). You have to select 'Others' as the OS on their site.

Although most people use Merlin's fork of the Asus code.

2. TheVogon

The RT-AC68U and the RT-N66U are the commonly used - and sensibly priced Asus WiFi routers - and they are pretty good looking... Yes that thing looks like some sort of weird plastic cactus...

1. David Webb

I've used the N66 for a few years now, looks good. As for firmware, it's Asuswrt-Merlin.

1. TheVogon

Try HGGomes - based on Merlin but without all the restrictions on power, etc...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So is HGG 380.65.6 vulnerable?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame Belkin/Linksys aren't so quick.

They have known about their vulnerability since January, and it's still not patched...

http://blog.ioactive.com/2017/04/linksys-smart-wi-fi-vulnerabilities.html

"discovered 10 bugs, six of which can be exploited remotely by unauthenticated attackers.

Hackers can exploit two of these to DoS the router. Other vulnerabilities allow for the collection of sensitive data such as firmware and Linux kernel version, running processes, connected USB devices and the Wi-Fi WPS pin.

Unauthenticated attackers can also access the firewall configuration, read FTP configuration settings and extract the SMB server settings, Sauvage explained.

However, the most serious could allow attackers to execute commands on the router OS remotely with root privileges, giving them persistent backdoor access."

4. John 104

@belkin/linksys

Anyone who uses either of those deserves to get pwned. So unreliable.

I'm rockin the many years old RT-66U. Haven't upgraded the firmware in ages because it just gets the job done. I do have a nice strong password for the admin account though. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@John 104, even those rockin' the dinosaur Linksys WRT54G* with third party firmware?

1. asdf

>@John 104, even those rockin' the dinosaur Linksys WRT54G* with third party firmware?

Like I said with that linux 2.4 kernel it boots in 10 seconds flat and sadly is probably more secure than any consumer router oem firmware out there. 2.4GHz sucks for anything but web browsing in general though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To be fair, my 1900ACS is rock solid reliable, but I simply can't trust a company that doesn't take security seriously.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like