back to article Go, GoDaddy! Domain-slinger decapitates email patent troll in court

Domain registrar and host GoDaddy has won its battle with a patent-holding company that had accused it of violating a handful of claims related to basic email functions. The US District Court of Appeals in Phoenix, Arizona, has decided this month to uphold an earlier verdict in GoDaddy's favor, vanquishing the infringement …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Yay!

See title.

2. Nightkiller

V.A. Shiva Ayyadurai, are you watching this?

3. Dave Harvey

Troll loses on court.....

Great - but why is the The Register so afraid to use the obvious description of this bunch of ****s?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Troll loses on court.....

The question, Dave Harvey, is why are you afraid to spell out asses, shits or fucks when referring to these fucking shitheaded asshole patent trolls? It's not like you are hiding your opinion behind asterisks, you know.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

sometimes NOT writing the profanity out is more fun or funnier. that, and the colorful use of metaphors, and strikeout text, and regular expressions, etc. etc. etc..

So yeah, those FORNICATING patent trolls, with QUESTIONABLE HERITAGE, EXCREMENT for brains, etc. etc. etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I concur.

Patent troll is a Jeremy Hunt.

2. Steve the Cynic

You missed one: "sons of unwed mothers"!

(See: /Illegal Aliens/ by Nick Pollotta and Phil Foglio for the original context.)

1. Swarthy

You missed one: "sons of unwed mothers"!
            One of my favorites is "misbegotten son of a syphilitic goat" - Not least because of the fingernails-on-chalkboard effect "gotten" has on some linguistic snobs.

4. Steve Knox

Seriously!?

"GoDaddy's attorney and legal fees in the case, around $14,000."

So did they just use an unpaid intern, or did it take just about 10 billable hours for their attorney to prove how useless those patents were?

1. Brent Beach

Re: Seriously!?

At least in Canada, costs are not actual costs. Rather they are based on a standard set of costs totally unrelated to current costs. Although GoDaddy may have spent 50 times that amount, they only get standard costs.

Any attorney that is able to win against a patent troll attorney is going to be very good and very expensive.

Patent trolls are ambulance chasers, bottom feeders and pond scum. That is, the most highly evolved form of neoliberal capitalism.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Patent trolls are ambulance chasers, bottom feeders and pond scum. That is, the most highly evolved form of neoliberal capitalism."

Sir! I must protest.

* there is no such thing as 'highly evolved'; all life on Earth has been evolving for the same 3 billion pus years as all other life on Earth. The phrase 'highly evolved' merely shows your vertebrate, chordate, bias.

* the official stance of the International Union of Pond Scum, Lichens, Algae, and Plankton is that they will never, under any circumstances whatsoever, allow patent trolls to join.

<signed>

B. B. Wolfe

for Wolfe, Jaeger, and Hammer

Attorneys for IUPSLAP.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Joke

"all life on Earth has been evolving for the same 3 billion pus years"

3 billion pus years? Evolving or festering?

PS, brilliant typo!

2. cs94njw

Having to pay the winner's court fees is one of the few "checks and balances" against assholes.

If I say someone puts babies on spikes, and register this for £50 at court, then other person may need to then spend £100,000 just to defend himself.

If he can't reclaim that money, then that assholes can just sue someone to bankruptcy.

Surely it makes sense that all court/legal fees are paid by the loser?

* special cases can occur, etc, etc, etc.

1. Huey

If I say someone puts babies on spikes....

I think you'll find crazy Eddie has already pioneered that though I don't know whether he patented it or not you might want to check!

1. Steve the Cynic

Crazy Eddie: His prices are IN-SA-A-A-A-A-ANE!

(I didn't live in that area, but the local cable outfit had one of the NY-based channels on the basic cable setup.)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"someone puts babies on spikes...." .... then Michael O'Leary's latest scheme will sue for copying their idea for "child friendly prices" .....

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I don't know, it sounds like a modest proposal to me.

ATH+++

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My exact thought. That is what my SWMBO would charge for ~ 10 hours (she is has recently graduated to a proper Dark Forces Syth Lady - fully qualified Eu patent attorney).

There were 7 patents to review, to formulate a defense and to execute it. You are looking at > 100 hours billable for that, so this cost GoDaddy > 140K. Probably 250K to 0.5M. Somewhat Pyrrhic victory.

1. Pat Att

Your wife charges $1400 per hour? I really must up my rates.

5. To Mars in Man Bras!
    Trollface

One of Those Cases...

.. where you wish both sides could lose

>>Patent trolls are ambulance chasers, bottom feeders and pond scum.

So, not a bit like GoDaddy, then?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like