back to article Foxtel emits new sueballs, this time targeting TV streamers

Emboldened by success, Foxtel has fired off a new round of suballs with the aim of blocking more pirate sites from Australian users. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation says TPG, Optus, and Vocus are the respondents in a case filed late last week in the Federal Court. Foxtel wants the ISPs to bring down the boom on the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks Foxtel

"Foxtel wants the ISPs to bring down the boom on the sites Yes Movies, Los Movies, Watch Series, and Project Free TV"

Thanks Foxtel, hadn't heard of those sites I'll have to check them out!

1. Oengus

Re: Thanks Foxtel

Long live the "Streisand Effect".

2. julian.smith

Using a VPN enables me to shaft both Slimeball Murdoch AND Telstra

Bliss!

1. Rockets

Using a VPN also allows you to give the middle finger to the governments meta data logging laws to boot

2. Woza
    Pirate

Just came to say

Superb image, well chosen.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can they please just spend the money on a half decent TV Guide site instead? I have Foxtel and it's WAY easier to torrent something than it is to find out when it's actually on the service I pay for

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Challenge

Accepted!

5. CentralCoasty
    Pint

Foxtel is getting desperate. They had an (almost) monopoly on Australian TV for a long time (given how bad most of the free-to-air TV is over here).

With STAN and Netflix eating into their domain they must be feeling the pinch, and have started laying about with wild abandon into anything they think may be able to shore-up their reducing marketplace.

My brother-in-law cancelled his subscription with them last month - has moved completely to Netflix. I will admit to still being 50/50 on the fence at the moment - what with the limited Australian content for Netflix, but will also make the move sometime over the next 12 months I guess.....

I guess we can expect more of this sort of action from Foxtel as time progress' and they become less and less relevant (and less a market force)... unless their management & board to do what they are paid for and change their strategy/business model.....

6. DiViDeD

Free streaming sites are one thing.

But recently I've seen ads for a number of companies offering 'Watch TV from any country - legally' packages, which consist of buying a dodgy set top box from the company (GetFlix, etc), together with advice on how to get around Netflix's geolocking.

The worst of it is, people who have paid for these things seem to feel their pirating is 'legitimate', distinguishing them from people like, oh, for example, no, can't think of anyone, who simply connect to a vpn and stream from the 'nasty pirates'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon