back to article Another AI assistant... It's getting crowded in here, isn't it, Siri?

Voice-activated speakers and digital assistants may just seem like the modern, more annoying version of the old Microsoft paperclip, continually offering help and reminders where they are not needed. But while Apple Siri, Microsoft Cortana, Google Home/Now and Amazon Echo/Alexa may have a long way to go, we will look back on …

1. AndyS

I'm still lost.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't want to talk to my tech.

In my mind, that killed Google Glass. It will kill any tech which primarily interacts by voice. The social awkwardness of having to talk out loud when in public, especially when quickly trying to find a bit of info ("who is that actress?"; "what is 23C in F?"; "Buy 4 boxes of plasters and check my bank account") which will make people around you curious about what you're doing - just no.

So, although there may be a small niche where these things might be useful, I can't ever see them becoming a major way to interact with technology.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: I'm still lost.

Yep, I remember the first time I encountered someone using a hands-free/bluetooth/microphone setup some years ago on a (rare) visit to London. I was quite used to people wandering around stations muttering to themselves, but they usually carried a bottle of cheap sherry in a brown paper bag. One in a suit was something new.

And haven't we had enough of "I SAID, I'M ON THE TRAIN"? Won't it be confusing when 17 different Alexae (is that the correct plural) all simultaneously hear "What time is the next train from Waterloo to a/b/c/d"? Bloody irritating for the other passengers too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I was quite used to people wandering around stations muttering to themselves, but they usually carried a bottle of cheap sherry in a brown paper bag. One in a suit was something new."

That put a smile on my face recalling the same experience at Heathrow with a guy just in in front of me on the travolator. Took me a good while to figure it out, most of which was spent fervently hoping he wasn't going to be in the next seat for the following 8 hours.

I agree about limited places you'd want to see voice used, but I think in the home it really will catch on; less noise interference, a lot less embarrassment, and for controlling lights, heating etc or selecting music to play I can see it being an easy sell for a lot of the gadget obsessed if the entry price is cheap enough and the recognition is reliable and pain free.

2. sebt
        WTF?

"I was quite used to people wandering around stations muttering to themselves, but they usually carried a bottle of cheap sherry in a brown paper bag. One in a suit was something new."

There was a homeless guy who sold the Big Issue outside where I worked (in a very besuited and betowered part of the Melbourne CBD). I'd tell him "you take care out here, with all these weirdos walking around muttering to themselves".

2. Brenda McViking

I have an amazon echo dot. Yes, it listens all the time, but it's sat in my media room and it works brilliantly, and I use it every day, from dimming the lights by voice, looking up snippets of quick info "Alexa, what's the freezing point of mercury" was the last one, through to "play me some chillout music." some of the features - like the BBC flash briefing - are great, and I wouldn't have even considered them before owning it.

I use it far more than my smartphone voice assistants as it's at home and doesn't suffer the same social awkwardness that speaking to your mobile in public does. For me, it's no more awkward than a star-trek style "computer; lights" would be.

Though i'm still waiting for one of my friends to come over and do a https://xkcd.com/1807/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Still, I find too creepy a listening device always on sending data to some megacorp...

..... looks too much alike how telescreens were designed.

1. druck Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Still, I find too creepy a listening device always on sending data to some megacorp...

Plus having one in your car too - playing a hefty cellular data subscription for the privilege of letting it send everything you say off to a remote server.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are all shit

My wife can't see so would rely on voice input. Given the *extensive* tests we have carried out, the results are in:

They are all shit

When they can:

-Open an app (say email)

-Work out that when you say "Subject:<subject>" you want to fill in the subject field, not type "subject"

-Tell you the input is now in "email body" and revert to TTS

-Work out that when you say "sign off with work signature" that's what you want to do (not type it)

-respond to "send and move to correspondence"

we might be moving in the right direction.

Until then, they are toys for the curious.

1. P. Lee

Re: They are all shit

>Until then, they are toys for the curious.

Voice input is just generally bad. Even if it worked perfectly, it is *slow* ... and it doesn't work perfectly. Would you rather navigate your bank's voice prompts or sit in front of computer and click/type through the login sequence?

Voice recognition is best when you've already decided on voice interaction (calling the bank) but the bank is desperate not to pay for someone to talk to you. It could also work for car-based SMS systems. As a general interface, however, its pretty poor.

4. Pen-y-gors

Bixby?

The eventual goal for Bixby is to be able to do everything on a phone that a user could do themselves

Everything? I've heard (possibly apocryphal) tales of ladies making interesting use of the vibrate function. Can Bixby replace that yet?

1. Alister
      Coat

Re: Bixby?

The eventual goal for Bixby is to be able to do everything on a phone that a user could do themselves

You forgot the last bit of the sentence ...with their fingers

Um, you know what, given the context, forget I said that...

5. Chronos
    Terminator

AI

But it's not really, is it? It's speech recognition (FSVO) and a big bunch of keyword matching if..then...elses lumped together with the buzzword "abilities" that is so cumbersome it won't run on commodity hardware, rather it needs clustered processing and storage facilities. The automotive variant is infinitely worse, of course. Artificial stupidity would come closer.

IMHO, the difference is clear: This has to be continually taught both stimuli and response. A true AI would start learning itself at some point.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not AI

It's not even ML

Either would suggest some kind of intelligence or ability to, I dunno, learn?

They don't, they're dumb and largely shit.

Still, give it 10yrs...

7. BoldMan

Typical bit of marketing fluff that doesn't understand the difference between AI, Keyword scanning, machine (not)learning and a load of bollocks.

Next they'll be talking about neural nets...

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

These assistants – which use powerful AI (artificial intelligence) engines to deliver detailed, context-aware and personalized answers to users’ questions

Yep, stuff like the above is total marketing bullshit. Hello, El Reg [SLAP], are you listening?

They have reasonable voice recognition routines that may, just may, use some neural nets but most likely just refined algorithms. Neural nets are rather expensive to simulate in either software or hardware compared to traditional voice processing. These words then get passed through a few filters to try and figure out what the poor user actually wanted, then these words are passed onto a specific application that may, possibly, could do (but almost certainly doesn't) use AI or neural net processing in order to process the provided words and perform an action or give a response.

In other words, pretty nifty language processing being passed onto textual services depending on the interpreted words. What these services do may or may not be clever, but it ain't AI by any stretch of the imagination. It's most likely not even Machine Learning.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was bad enough having Google/Amazon's guy in a greasy raincoat following me around

But now I am expected to let the creepy guy listen to me as well

10. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Given that

the best Google and the morons at Amazon can do so far is to offer me more of what I have just bought or just looked at. That's IT.

They then top it off by telling me what other people looked at (as if I should give a rats arse), what's "trending" (Why should I even give a shit, let alone a rat's alimentary canal?) and what other people bought as well (WTF?)

Look, Google and Amazon, et al: piss off for a bit and get advertising right in the first place. Tell me what I want BEFORE I have found it and please understand tat I don't give a flying fuck what other people looked at/bought, what else other people bought or what is "trending".

Get that right and serve inconspicuous, non-animated ads that don't distract from what I am trying to read, don't chew swathes of bandwidth and don't slow my PC to a crawl and I may begin to consider that you are offing me a worthwhile assistant that can work with me, rather than shoving down my throat a dirty creep in a greasy raincoat hell-bent on following me around.

Until then please; just piss off

1. sebt
      Go

Re: Given that

Bravo, Sir (or Madam)!

Why, for instance, have I never been stalked mercilessly by ads for Marmite lasers?

(perhaps from now on I will).

11. sebt
    Stop

Iain M Banks...

...got the voice-sensitive AI assistant (Hub, Ship) right.

That's because he posited machine intelligences which are more intelligent than humans by so many uncountable orders of magnitude that they couldn't possibly have any selfish or prurient interest in spying on humans, slurping their data or manipulating them. (Except for SC, which provide many of the Interesting Times in the books - but even then it's mostly Mind manipulating Mind).

"We are close to gods; and on the far side".

Until Google/Amazon/Microsoft/whoever can come up with _that_, they can take their creepy, pseudo-human little demons and shove them where solar radiation never reaches.

12. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

It doesn't matter whether you talk, type, semaphore or use Morse code ...

nothing is going to hide the increasingly obvious fact that Google (for example) is horribly broken.

Keyword matching was a pretty neat trick - in the 1980s. But with the exponential growth of "content" (I use the word in the most general sense as it's mainly marketing cruft) it's fast becoming useless.

Unless Google have a strategy to start charging for ad-free searches, they will slip into irrelevance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like