back to article Huawei used cheap-as-chips chips in some P10s, now buyers want to boil it in oil

Huawei has taken drastic steps to mollify customers upset that its response to a chip shortage was to grab lower-performance substitutes. The furore blew up in China first, when users found that instead of the high-performance UFS (universal flash storage) cards it touted for its P10 phones at launch, it was mixing UFS with …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Color me surprised

After dealing for years with various "interesting" aspects of their network equipment, I have to say - I am not surprised. In the slightest.

1. BillG
      Devil

Re: Color me surprised

The response is a standard bullshit PR crisis template:

1. We care - too much

2. We moved too fast - because we care

3. We are listening (but will take no action)

4. We will use this as a lesson (now shut the f*ck up)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple did the same

Some iPhone 7 have shit cellular chips due to shortages...

"For consumers, the downside of owning an Intel version is significant. The tests revealed that Qualcomm-powered iPhone 7s are able to consistently establish stronger connections to LTE networks than Intel-powered iPhone 7s. Qualcomm modems outran Intel modems by 30% in overall performance, and 75% when the signal was at its weakest."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self-criticism

It looks like Chairman Mao did achieve something. Whatever you think of Huawei, can you imagine, say, Jobs, Zuckerberg or any of a host of other CEOs coming out with that lot? At least not without a huge amount of spin about "listening to our customers" and a brief glossing over of the problems.

1. some_say

Re: Self-criticism

Jobs, Zuckerberg don't have anything like the competition Huawei does. Huawei has to compete in the high-end, mid-cost bracket (i.e. Snapdragon 820 / Helio X25 or better for $500 or less) with a dozen companies. And now its market share is being attacked by much better mid-range chips in last years' chassis for rock-bottom prices, like the Xiaomi Redmi range.

3. Wiltshire

Senior management talking to customers on the shop floor?

A shocking display of humility and common sense!

I didn't where I am today without being in serial UK failures.

Where senior management displayed no humility and no common sense.

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Happy

We're Listening

A suitable slogan for Huawei?

1. MrT

Re: We're Listening™

© NSA, used with permission

5. Chris G

I sense a strong hint of Taoism in his response, sometimes in Chinese and oriental culture it is necessary to be humble and admit your failures in order to regain face (mian zi).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I sense a strong hint of Taoism in his response"

Indeed. Some aspects of Maoism could also be seen as the continuation of Confucianism by other means. "Consider the woes of the people if you would sit calmly on your throne."

1. getHandle

Re: "I sense a strong hint of Taoism in his response"

A lesson a fair few British politicians could do with learning...

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

memory price rises throughout 2017...similar pressures in the PC DRAM market.

And Toshiba are still trying to offload the RAM fab business? Seems a bit counter-intuitive.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: memory price rises throughout 2017...similar pressures in the PC DRAM market.

That's because they desperately need cash to counteract their losses in Westinghouse, and they can sell their fab business as a "going concern".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What sort of Kool-Aid are you drinking, sir?

"Consumers have paid with their trust and love."

I paid with a debt card, thank you. But not for that gear. And I only trust it as far as the vendor is going to stand up for my right to privacy as well as making security updates a strong priority. There are other considerations, none of which have to do with love. Certainly, Mr CEO's culture is slightly confusing to me, but I pick my devices by their quality and usability, not by what pretty words a C-level exec spews out in times of trouble. Especially one they brought upon themselves. No sale, junior.

9. TeacherMARK

I bought a P9 and it works just fine... but after hearing this latest disaster from this company I'll return obediently to the Samsung fold for future purchases. China, eh? Their slogan for anything should just be... "It's shit, innit!"

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Puts a new meaning to:

Minimum chips.

11. gsc2000

This is a bad problem with Huawei. If you have the uk unlocked P9 you'll get a phone that was last updated with googles android security patches in September 2016 . Now why would you trust your banking, financial and personal data on a phone which hasn't had googles official security patches installed regularly ? To rub salt into the wound, they refuse to update the P9 to Nougat and Oreo. Huawei marketing seem to spend lots of times spreading rumours about their phones on social media but this is completely disconnected from the actual product quality, maintenence and customer service. I for one won't be buying Huawei ever again, their customer service team can't actually fix any problems and even extend their service to being sarcastic. Their maintenance plans for phones aren't worth anything as they'll do what they want anyway and as for product quality, the P9 is fairly well built but the software is OLD. Stay away from Huawei products and buy LG / Samsung / Motorola .

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like